NOW to sometime later in the year (maybe) - Talk about anything

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Box Hill may have been used as a secondary finals venue for Div 1 a number of years ago.

If I remember correctly (and I may not) the thinking was that it’s not really close enough to “traditional” EFL heartland (the outer east) and so crowds would be affected.

The other thing is money. EFL clubs pay the league to host finals and the club organises and staffs it all. If it were at Box Hill assume the league would have to pay to use it and organise all the operations.

The EFL is in a far better financial situation than any other league and I reckon their finals model is probably a big part of that. Not that they ever seem to spend the money on anything, like better admin or umpiring.

As I said Mitcham for mine is close to VFL standard and by far the best venue in the league. Why they became so fixated on Bayswater, I don’t know.

Interesting, the VAFA pay clubs to host finals, the club gets all bar and canteen takings whilst the league keeps the gate receipts.

I assume judging by the people on the gate, the EFL also would be keeping gate receipts, a nice money spinner if clubs are also paying then for the rights.

Mitcham has good facilities, but ground is probably a bit small for the premier game. But Bayswater facilities haven’t changed in a long, long time and the ground was disgraceful today.

But you’re right on not spending money on umpires, they are easily the lowest paid of any league in Victoria and the standard showed today. It was nice to see some new faces for a change, but the overall standard is terrible, they can’t attract any decent umpires.

I think Box Hill may have been used as a secondary finals venue for Div 1 a number of years ago.

If I remember correctly (and I may not) the thinking was that it’s not really close enough to “traditional” EFL heartland (the outer east) and so crowds would be affected.

The other thing is money. EFL clubs pay the league to host finals and the club organises and staffs it all. If it were at Box Hill assume the league would have to pay to use it and organise all the operations.

The EFL is in a far better financial situation than any other league and I reckon their finals model is probably a big part of that. Not that they ever seem to spend the money on anything, like better admin or umpiring.

As I said Mitcham for mine is close to VFL standard and by far the best venue in the league. Why they became so fixated on Bayswater, I don’t know.
Wearing my Mitcham Football Club hat I might be biased yet again but to have over 100 plus volunteers after our awesome win last Saturday to turn up last Sunday made a old man like myself so proud.Up to the EDFNL and all you guys that worry about the size of WP for Premier Finals.As a club we appreciate all the compliments we have received about how we host finals and on and off field we will continue to rebuild our club in our biggest STEP,the return to Premier dIVISION.

Last edited:
Boronia is in the Bayswater electorate in the state government. The local member has been a good supporter but he doesn’t have a big influence around the decision making table as he is a backbencher. Unfortunately also the state government is pretty much broke which doesn’t help community sport in any form.

Plus the current federal government cancelled all sports club funding when they took power, had to appease the Greens who’d like every oval turned in to dog parks.

Plus the current federal government cancelled all sports club funding when they took power, had to appease the Greens who’d like every oval turned in to dog parks.
All major infrastructure projects from the outgoing government were subject to assessment by the incoming government. That's a normal process. Many projects were scrapped, but the Tormore Reserve project was approved on its merits.

Wearing my Mitcham Football Club hat I might be biased yet again but to have over 100 plus volunteers after our awesome win last Saturday to turn up last Sunday made a old man like myself so proud.Up to the EDFNL and all you guys that worry about the size of WP for Premier Finals.As a club we appreciate all the compliments we have received about how we host finals and on and off field we will continue to rebuild our club in our biggest STEP,the return to Premier dIVISION.

Well the moment has passed to use mitcham for prem finals given they are in prem now. That being said they probably don’t make prem finals next year so….

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Agree EFNL need to look past Boronia and Bayswater. Both very run down and the surface is an embarrassment.

I was against Ringwood previously but i think they have a lot going for them now, the surface is immaculate but they have very little to no cover and people aren't allowed on the balcony during finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

NOW to sometime later in the year (maybe) - Talk about anything

Remove this Banner Ad

Back