NRL 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

What are peoples thoughts on South Sydney this year?
If Izzy Folau can stay fit, they could push for the 8, but they have no chance of top 4 or pushing for the premiership.

St George are like Collingwood, they should finish top barring major injuries, and then it's what happens in September (and October) as to how far they will go.

The Storm will struggle, they lack real depth after the 4-5 stars that stuck around after the scandal, but they should win enough games to make the top 6 or so.

New Zealand are my "smoky" team for 2011, they could even end up in the Grand Final with St George with a bit of luck.

Wests, the Roosters and the Dogs are the other threats IMO.:)

If Izzy Folau can stay fit, they could push for the 8, but they have no chance of top 4 or pushing for the premiership.

St George are like Collingwood, they should finish top barring major injuries, and then it's what happens in September (and October) as to how far they will go.

The Storm will struggle, they lack real depth after the 4-5 stars that stuck around after the scandal, but they should win enough games to make the top 6 or so.

New Zealand are my "smoky" team for 2011, they could even end up in the Grand Final with St George with a bit of luck.

Wests, the Roosters and the Dogs are the other threats IMO.:)

Greg Inglis?

Why do people think Bulldogs will play a lot better this year? My early thoughts for the top 4 are Dragons, West Tigers, Souths and Titans

Greg Inglis?

Why do people think Bulldogs will play a lot better this year? My early thoughts for the top 4 are Dragons, West Tigers, Souths and Titans

Lol, I got them mixed up.:eek:

Folau is of course with GWS, oops.

Still think Souths will struggle, that part I didn't get confused with.

I really like the Tigers this year.

I think St. George may struggle a bit this year after winning in 2010. I reckon Gold Coast will be thereabouts again this season and may be able to get themselves into a GF with a bit of luck.

Agree on the Tigers, but they are overly dependant on Marshall. If he does his shoulder or knee again, they struggle.

If the Warriors can stay fit, they'll push every team in the comp. They had a horrid run with injuries last year.

Disagree Rooster. I think the tigers are strong across every line, dont forget they were an inch of beating the dragons last year in the semi's. Lui is only getting better and they have the same young team as last year and another pre season will do them the world of good. I think they will surprise this year, there is no reason why they cant go straight past the dragons. I really like them. Canberra are near on unbeatable at home and they have a champion team (not a team of champions). They have some big big boys that can do a lot of damage and finish towards the top end. The dragons of course will finish near the top again.

Another with a chance I believe is manly, they were OK in patches last year but were decimated by bad behaviour and injuries. They get Stewart and Wolfman back this year who have missed near on two years. If they stay fit, look out. Souths?. Man who knows...they keep buying and they keep doing nothing , YES Inglis (or is it folau matty :p) is there but he looks like a half baked turkey, I think he signed his contract and just ate cheese toasted sandwiches for 5 months :eek:. Its going to be 13-14 weeks before hes in a decent condition. If they can win half their games up until that point they should come home strong. The burgess brothers will monster teams, big dave taylor they do look an impressive unit though...oh and sandow keeps getting better and better, he will have a medal around his neck soon enough but will it be a premiership one?. Not sure.

Ill be back with thoughts on the try scoring markets and a few otehr things. There is a lot of money to be made in the NRL. Lets make this thread profitable for everyone!.

Whoops didnt even mention the roosters. They have a fantastic team, try scorers everywhere. It really is open this year...

Wooden Spoon

Huge value here in Cronulla, they got a few guys in like Tolman but really I think most teams would have a W already marked. They could be worse than last year. You look at their spoon opposition and the ones in the market are the cowboys and eels, funnily enough they have the two biggest superstars in the game. Thats enough to drag them over the line in a few games. Newcastle albeit being a NSW team does hold a home ground advantage also that cronulla just dont have. Next in the market is gold coast and manly. I think both will be pushing top 8 so I just dont see anyone that would get anywhere near cronulla. I think the entire league has improved from last year and I still think they offer nothin at all. at $4.50 its an absolute steal.

Top Try Scorer

Fetuli Talanoa (Sths) @ $26
(thats tab, shop around will get better)

Brett Morris (StG) @9

Brett Stewart (Man) @ $21

In reality if Stewart plays all year he wins it. Hes a try scoring machine, even in the spurt he played last year his ratio was huge. Im only taking the others because of his history and something going wrong with him. Morris you have to put in, he seems to score the first try in every game StG play. Not sure on stats but last yar he must have been first try scorer every 3rd game?. Possibly even more but someone with the stats may prove me wrong!. I think he even did it in origin from memory?. Talanoa is a bit of a smokey but he's value if you can get better than the $26 on offer, hes probably worth a few bob even at that price.

Obviously this is just the early thoughts, Ill be looking deeper into the raiders as they can lay down some big scores so ill possibly include someone like Vidot,Dugan or Ferguson as well.

Dally M Medal (the brownlow for you mexicans:thumbsu:)

If you look at the last 5 years you realise only the best win it. Thurston x 2, Orford, Carney, Haine. Pretty good names...:thumbsu:

Who knows there might be another one of them with a x2 by their name. Orford is now with canberra, they look like a threat if he has a huge year like 2008 its possible. Haine cant win it IMO, Carney was awesome last year and if he stays off the piss hes a chance as well. Not willing to put any money on yet. Looking forward to your thoughts on all of the above (sorry for post whoring)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here's the top 10 tryscorers from last year, along with their appearances and try count:

Akuila Uate (Newcastle)-24-21
Shaun Kenny-Dowall (Sydney Roosters)-28-21
Manu Vatuvei (Warriors)-19-20
Israel Folau (Brisbane)-20-20
Brett Morris (St George Illawarra)-25-20
Lote Tuqiri (Wests Tigers)-27-18
Lachlan Coote (Penrith)-20-17
Cooper Vuna (Newcastle)-17-16
Nathan Merritt (South Sydney)-24-16
Michael Jennings (Penrith)-25-16

If Vatuvei can stay fit for the season, I think he's a massive chance to take this out, @ $15 with Sportsbet. He's trimmed down 3/4kg to up his work rate, which can only spell trouble for his opponents. I'll be having a bit on him and Uate, and think Stewart is an excellent shout to.

Dally M, I have no nfi. Farrah and Marshall steal votes from each other, so I'll say Isaac Luke @ $31 if Souths can have a big season.

i like the Warriors, have them in a double with Carlton to win the flag @ 221-1.

Unders...

tumblr_lf2seuctNK1qcjrs8.png

World Club Challenge on in an hour and i think i might make a play on Wigan here. This game is always set up for the English though the Storm and Manly have been able to win it in the past 2 years. Before that England sides had won 7 of 8. Wigan have a big forward back, and are in form after a 44 - 10 thrashing of Bradford. They are already into their season whilst the Dragons may be a little underdone and not used to the conditions. Dragons are without Wayne Bennett and haven't had a warmup match in England which i think may be a mistake. In a packed DW Stadium, i think Wigan can take the victory here. Dragons have brought a strong squad over so they can definitely keep it close. Only a small play...

Wigan 1-12 @ $3.95 v St George

Remove this Banner Ad

NRL 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Back