NTFL 2017/2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Well what an underwhelming year for Palmy and Wanderers . By far our worst effort in the last few years, but was good to see some of the kids get a run and a chance to develop! Guess it's a good thing for the future, as long as they don't all get poached

First week of finals should be good. Tiwi vs Saints will be interesting, Bombers have the ability to blow them out of the water but their ability to sustain it across 4 quarters is the worry. Darwin vs Nightcliff will be good as well. My concern at this point is that the only team capable of matching Districts is Waratah, who are now out of the comp, so I wouldn't be surprised if Districts win all three finals by a comfortable margin for the flag.

First week of finals should be good. Tiwi vs Saints will be interesting, Bombers have the ability to blow them out of the water but their ability to sustain it across 4 quarters is the worry. Darwin vs Nightcliff will be good as well. My concern at this point is that the only team capable of matching Districts is Waratah, who are now out of the comp, so I wouldn't be surprised if Districts win all three finals by a comfortable margin for the flag.

Tiwi have really kicked it up a gear lately. Would be good to see them climb up through the ladder, would be great for tiwi to make the granny. Especially after last year's debacle.

You're right though, there's nobody else that's convincing enough to think that even a good game will get them over Districts. How many fly ins are they allowed for finals? Same amount?

Was happy to see the side i last played for Palmerston Div 2 made finals for the first time ever. When i was there, we'd celebrate if we kept our losing margin below 100 points haha

Tiwi have really kicked it up a gear lately. Would be good to see them climb up through the ladder, would be great for tiwi to make the granny. Especially after last year's debacle.

You're right though, there's nobody else that's convincing enough to think that even a good game will get them over Districts. How many fly ins are they allowed for finals? Same amount?

Yeah only 4 fly-ins. I'll list all the clubs and their options.

Districts: Mark Jamar, Tim Brook, Leroy Jetta, Callum Currie, Ed Barlow
Tiwi: Daniel Sturzaker
St Mary's: Jaden McGrath, Anthony Wilson, Nat Paredes, Jackson Geary, Jarryd Cachia
Nightcliff: Brodie Filo, Troy Coates, Elliott Powell, Patrick White
Darwin: Darren Shillabeer, Todd Miles, Ryan O'Sullivan, Joe Anderson, Nick O'Neill

St Mary's: Jaden McGrath, Anthony Wilson, Nat Paredes, Jackson Geary, Jarryd Cachia
Darwin: Darren Shillabeer, Todd Miles, Ryan O'Sullivan, Joe Anderson, Nick O'Neill

Some quality names in there, that's for sure. Going to be an interesting finals series if Districts don't completely blow everyone away. Hard to tip who else is going to make the GF!

By the way, do you still do the commentary for the games on youtube? I hear the voices but always miss the names (can't miss charlie king though)

Did chewey Scanlon qualify? Wasnt a fan of fly in rule originally but I think its a good rule, teams have got their top four and one on stand by in case of injury weather or team balance. Quite possible palmo div two might have done some team stacking but good on them they have earned it after sticking at it for all these years

Thought the whole Dingo and Liddle thing was put to rest.... Dingo's finally was. Liddle's appeal is still going, and yep, delayed a week due to unavailability of legal counsel. This has been going on for months now

Tavis Perry stood down as Palmy's coach too as he took a job elsewhere. Wonder who Palmy are going to go for now. We need a big name i think. Someone to use Tavis's foundations and help us win some games

Tavis Perry stood down as Palmy's coach too as he took a job elsewhere. Wonder who Palmy are going to go for now. We need a big name i think. Someone to use Tavis's foundations and help us win some games
yes Tav will be a huge loss he did well with what he had to work with and was always pretty classy, gave a lot of young blokes a taste of senior football the rest is up to them now. in Darwin there seems to be a lot of coach recycling with same blokes getting a gig, apparently mago mclean has resigned due to work commitments and things are not too rosy at wanderers with the coach and I think nightcliffs coach is under the pump to perform with all the recruiting and money that has been spent this year.

yes Tav will be a huge loss he did well with what he had to work with and was always pretty classy, gave a lot of young blokes a taste of senior football the rest is up to them now. in Darwin there seems to be a lot of coach recycling with same blokes getting a gig, apparently mago mclean has resigned due to work commitments and things are not too rosy at wanderers with the coach and I think nightcliffs coach is under the pump to perform with all the recruiting and money that has been spent this year.

how much do average players receive in match payments

how much do average players receive in match payments
Average players get nothing, the good players get looked after with jobs and accommodation nightcliff and districts pay players especially with sign on, most fly ins would have to be getting something to make it worth their while saints used to pay players for win and more games u have played the more u got but majority of players get nothing which is a good thing dont want to send clubs broke like down south

upload_2018-2-25_10-51-50.png

The 52 point win didn't do enough justice to Tiwi, they could have been leading at three quarter time if they improved on 3.6 in that quarter. They were running rings around the Saints. However, the Green Machine's final experience came through yet again, did enough at the bookends of the game. Nat Paredes started and ended the game as a forward, kicked 4 goals, and dominated in the midfield. Best contested possession player in the league. Jack Geary racked up about 40 touches, and MacFarlane took at least 7 contested marks. For Tiwi, Michael Dunn, Jack Munkara and Jason Puruntatameri stood up and Ross Tungatalum kicked one of the best goals of the season shortly before half time.

upload_2018-2-25_10-45-1.png
Genuinely one of the best games this season. Was goal for goal at stages, as suggested in that scoreline, but Darwin came through at the end. Nick O'Neill and Jarrod Stokes played absolute blinders, and Sambono kicked 6 goals out of the goalsquare including one after a screamer of a mark. Shillabeer moved more up the ground as a result and had a big impact on the game. Better players for Nightcliff included Bricknell, Mu and Kaine Riley.

upload_2018-2-25_11-0-5.png
Nightcliff-St Mary's should be a ripper of a game, Tigers have won all 3 times this season and Cam Ilett has had a part to play in each of those. Saints have a lot of momentum and arguably the better side, and Iggy Vallejo would probably rather die than have his final season ended by an Ilett-led Nightcliff. Interesting to see how a Nightcliff midfield of Coates-Ilett-Filo-Scanlon goes against Rioli-Geary-Paredes-Bath,

In the other one, I think it's Districts' Grand Final berth to lose. They've been comfortably better than Darwin each time they've played them and have had close to their full side for nearly the entire season, contributing to their success. Darwin are an up and down side and so I doubt they'll get up in this one despite the inclusion of Matty Campbell.

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-25_10-43-50.png
    upload_2018-2-25_10-43-50.png
    7 KB · Views: 58

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What an awesome week of footy! Besides Palmy Div 2 being knocked out of the finals of course :p Buffs beating Tiges was a shock. What an absolute gun Stokes is though, no idea why that guy never got drafted. He used to kill it in juniors too, always hated playing Buffs when they had Jed Anderson, Damien Williams, Joey Collinson and Stokes running through the guts in under 16s/18s. I reckon Tigers will go out in straight sets too. Saints always seem to play their best footy when it matters. Thinking of how they started the year and where they are sitting right now is pretty crazy

Love your analysis kdavva74 ! This is and the facebook page you and Jackson work on has helped a heap with my homesickness haha NTFL time was always my favorite time of the year and your constant updates have been amazing

Yes the dream is over for palmy div 2 but what a ride. If ur only going to watch one ntfl game this year get down to tigers v saints this saturday nightcliff will be desperately trying not to go out in straight sets and the saints players have a real hatred of tigers since one of their all time greatest players left them for money and they have taken it personally,

everyone said at the start of the year it would be a saints tigers grand final, after this weekend one of them definitely wont be there, buffs have got some gun fly ins and some talented locals but might not be enough to beat crocs-or will it?

Southern Districts record in second semi finals is 0-8, and they have a very noted recent history of being chokers. So it might be a bit closer than the home and away results suggest. That being said, I still think they'll get the job done. One of the keys to their success has been their lack of changes from week to week, they've had close to their best team basically all season. Adam Sambono might be the key to break the game open for Buffs. Showing again why he's too good to be playing NTFL - deserves to be drafted at least as a rookie.

Nightcliff-Saints might just be the game of the season. Cam Ilett has a 3-0 record against his own club including a tight win at Nightcliff Oval where he kicked the winner. Expect the game to be won in the midfield, both boasting some impressive names such as Jarryd Cachia, Nat Paredes, Jack Geary (Saints) and Cam Ilett, Troy Coates and Brodie Filo (Nightcliff). Peter Macfarlane and Julian Lockwood will be very important focal points in attack for Saints and Nightcliff respectively, and it could be the last game for a number of Saints veterans including Macfarlane, Iggy Vallejo, John Anstess and Henry Labastida.

I expect a Districts win and a St Mary's win, leaving us with Darwin and Saints battling it out for the second spot in the Grand Final.

SEMI FINAL TEAMS

NIGHTCLIFF vs ST MARYS

upload_2018-3-1_14-5-14.png

upload_2018-3-1_14-7-56.png

DISTRICTS VS DARWIN

upload_2018-3-1_14-10-42.png

upload_2018-3-1_14-10-59.png

Really going to be an exciting weekend of footy thats for sure. I hope Buffs beat Districts, would really throw the competition into cahoots haha Zac Stephenson has been named too which is great. Grew up playing juniors with him, was always a faithful maggie who put himself on the line week in week out. Would be good to see him get some success

Hot tip for any punters out there - Ladbrokes and Sportsbet have both listed St Mary's at odds of 4.00 for the flag, definitely worth looking into.

Watched Crocs V Buffs on youtube and what a surprise.Couple of things stood out early
1/No Brennan.Why and will he play next week?
2/Despite having a gun on ball brigade Crocs got smashed in clearances with Cambells experience showing early
3/Shillabeer dominated 1st 1/4 and was roaming everywhere in the front half of ground.Whilst he faded a little after 1/4 time the damage was done a clear matchwinner.
4/Currie (16) for Crocs set the scene early 1st 1/4 when backing back and ducked head dropping an easy mark.This certainly showed weakness and would of been noted by all.

The rain/weather in that game really made me miss Darwin. God i used to love those games where you were sliding around in the huge puddles. What a shock of a game though. Tigers vs Districts next week is going to be a cracker!

upload_2018-3-11_0-25-52.png

After a tight first half, Districts kicked away and showed why they're the best team in the comp. They work so hard to find space for eachother and their kicking is second to none. Very much looking forward to watching the Grand Final next week between Darwin and Districts.

another thing in buffs favour is a lot of their players are locals and family have played there for generations and districts have a lot of new or fly in players, a lot of these blokes will be playing in a few weeks for anywhere between $500-$1000+ per game and you wonder if they will put their body on the line when needed

Remove this Banner Ad

Back