3 home
3 away

Brisbane (inc Bears)
24 home
19 away

Adelaide
22 home
11 away

Can't find the stats for Sydney since 1982.

These are obviously the total number of games since the inceptions of the clubs, so don't help Seeds' whinge (why are Geelong fans so entitled?)

But it does show the imbalance that Carlton has had to face with their travel versus hosting some interstate teams. Adelaide and Brisbane travel to play the Blues more often, but Carlton have to travel to Perth or to play against Port Adelaide more often.

This is the problem with the AFLs fixturing. If Carlton is coming to visit Perth more often, you can bet that another Victorian team is missing out, and therefore not having to travel as much.
The fixtures should at least attempt to even out the travel arrangements over two or three years.

Just for the fun of it, Victorian sides, 10 of 18 are 55.55% of the competition. Non Victorian sides are 44.44% of the competition. In the past 5 seasons Victorian sides have made up 55% of finalists, that's 22 of 40. Non Vic's 45% or 18 of 40. Of the top 4 after H&A its 45% Vic's and 55% non Vic's. Hmmm. Of grand finalists its 50% each and of Premiers it's 80% Victorian 20% others.
So what does all this mean - Victorian and Non Victorian's representation in finals is exactly as you would expect statistically. However Non- Vics are slightly over-represented in the top four and Vics are over-represented as premiers.
Seems 'Always Ballin' you are right about true home ground, neutral, true away. The AFL have the balance right!!!
This has been pretty much while GWS and Goldcoast developed.

Just for the fun of it, Victorian sides, 10 of 18 are 55.55% of the competition. Non Victorian sides are 44.44% of the competition. In the past 5 seasons Victorian sides have made up 55% of finalists, that's 22 of 40. Non Vic's 45% or 18 of 40. Of the top 4 after H&A its 45% Vic's and 55% non Vic's. Hmmm. Of grand finalists its 50% each and of Premiers it's 80% Victorian 20% others.
So what does all this mean - Victorian and Non Victorian's representation in finals is exactly as you would expect statistically. However Non- Vics are slightly over-represented in the top four and Vics are over-represented as premiers.
Seems 'Always Ballin' you are right about true home ground, neutral, true away. The AFL have the balance right!!!
Yeah, it's right balance until you factor in travel mileage, it's effect on fatigue/injuries, and Vic home ground bias in the grand final IRRELEVANT of outcomes prior.

Can you also make a list of games every club gets to play at their home ground against interstate teams? Might find that the advantage vic teams get playing lots of games in their home city is equally offset by the lack of home games they get against interstate teams. Can non vic supporters just consider this fact once?

Would those be the games Vic clubs sold off ?

To further the statistical argument, 16 team comp (Goldcoast there in 2011 but not included in my stats)
2007-2011, Vics were 62.5% of the AFL, they were 70% of the top 8 and 85% of the top4, 90% top2 and 100% Premiers.
Non Vic's 37.5%, 30% top8, 15% top4, 10% top2, 0% premiers.

2002-2007 Vic's as 62.5%, 45% top8, 25% top4, 20% top2 and 0% premiers
Non Vic's 37.5%, 55% top8, 75% top4, 80% top2 and 100% premiers

Yeah, it's right balance until you factor in travel mileage, it's effect on fatigue/injuries, and Vic home ground bias in the grand final IRRELEVANT of outcomes prior.
If the balance is right then travel mileage has no relevance. As for the Grand final results the travel argument is pretty weak. In 2016 the Bulldogs went all over the place, won finals they were expected to lose, similar to Hawthorn in 2015. 2013 hawthorn were the outstanding team all year and 2014 it's still a puzzle to most how Sydney failed that day.

Lol the pies most games in Melbourne & Eddie will still whinge about the pies fixture

Been this way for years! Always do the least traveling , also there cheer squad and received seat members get there designated seats at all away games at mcg, so if like me ur a hawthorn reserved seat member and when u play Collingwood u get reallocated a seat for the match to accommodate them.. it's utter bullsh*t.

Been this way for years! Always do the least traveling , also there cheer squad and received seat members get there designated seats at all away games at mcg, so if like me ur a hawthorn reserved seat member and when u play Collingwood u get reallocated a seat for the match to accommodate them.. it's utter bullsh*t.

That's because we rule.

The FA Cup Final is always played at Wembley in London. Manchester United (i.e. not from London) has the equal most wins.

Is the soccer pitch of different dimensions between Manchester and Wembley stadiums?

Our game has unique character but to refuse to acknowledge that certain circumstances can arise to "tilt the table" is a bit disingenuous. The solution, as it has always been, is to be the better side on the day by enough to get the job done. The last 4 years the interstate side hasn't been good enough on the day.

Is the soccer pitch of different dimensions between Manchester and Wembley stadiums?
There is a good chance that it does differ. I know White Hart Lane where Tottenham play is a smaller ground than Wembley and not up to international dimensions and can not hold international games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

These are obviously the total number of games since the inceptions of the clubs, so don't help Seeds' whinge (why are Geelong fans so entitled?)

But it does show the imbalance that Carlton has had to face with their travel versus hosting some interstate teams. Adelaide and Brisbane travel to play the Blues more often, but Carlton have to travel to Perth or to play against Port Adelaide more often.

This is the problem with the AFLs fixturing. If Carlton is coming to visit Perth more often, you can bet that another Victorian team is missing out, and therefore not having to travel as much.
The fixtures should at least attempt to even out the travel arrangements over two or three years.
Do you know what the word entitled means? I don't think you do.

There is a good chance that it does differ. I know White Hart Lane where Tottenham play is a smaller ground than Wembley and not up to international dimensions and can not hold international games.

Oh ****. Looks like you are right :$

From a quick google (chance of looking like even more of a dolt improving! )

Largest premier league pitch 106x71 metres, smallest pitch 100x64 metres

AFL grounds length varies between 149m and 175m and width between 149m and 115m.

I think it's plain to see that there is a lot more variance in the shape of the ground and how it can influence play than a rectangle of slightly varying dimension.

I've got a thousand bucks that says you can't ride from Melbourne to Geelong on push bike in 30 minutes.

Challenge accepted , Bronwyn Bishop told me I should be able to "ride" to Geelong in about 22 minutes

-coppermine-coppermineA18W4968.jpg

Do you know what the word entitled means? I don't think you do.
I think Urban Dictionary nailed my usage:

"An attitude, demeanor, or air of rudeness, ingraciousness, or combativeness, especially when making excessive demands for service " and '"That entitled douchebag just expects everyone to give him what he wants."'

It really annoys me that Melbourne based teams only get to play at interstate venues twice a season at most. How are we supposed to get used to those grounds? Not to mention the completely uneven split of support.

I couldn't give a toss about the fairness to the players, the perceived advantages to the teams, they are professional athletes and should be able to play anywhere. What annoys me is only get to see my team play 11 times a season unless I spend thousands of dollars getting on a silver bird, (which I do), when supporters of Melbourne teams get the opportunity to go to 16 or 17 games using public transport.

It really annoys me that Melbourne based teams only get to play at interstate venues twice a season at most. How are we supposed to get used to those grounds? Not to mention the completely uneven split of support.
If only there was a rule about finals and a h/a system. Oh wait there is.

Except for GF's.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Now take out GC & GWS, which were non factors for much of that time, and the remaining non-Vic sides are significantly over represented.

Gee you sound like a Victorian lashing out against anyone who points out the inequities in the AFL system. I know you're not a Victorian so it seems rather funny, in a weird sort of way.

Calling anyone who points out those inequities, a whinger is fine , But it's easy when the cards are stacked in ones own favour.

Reminds me of the Castle scene in the Monty Python Holy grail movie. "Whose castle is this'?

Its an easy call from the ramparts.
Not your strongest effort. For those just tuning in (regardless of whether you give a rat's arse or not), me and Madmug are fanatically staunch supporters of the notion of a home grown Tasmanian AFL team, and would be the type of savage baying supporters that the Port Ferals and the Collingwood Toothless wish they could aspire to, but disagree on whether it should come in at the expense of incumbent AFL sides, particularly those from Melbourne...

I say Tassie19, he says Tassie17...or 16...or 12...

You say ramparts, I say "from a position of neutrality"...I celebrate Kick-A-Vic day as hard as anyone, but they don't have to actually die...

All sounds correct. But what was happening in the few seasons before South Melbourne re-located to SCG?

12 into 22 rounds, does not go twice, so without looking up fixtures at the time, can only assume Geelong were exempt from being allocated a home game there. The other 11 clubs play two games each at the neutral VFL Park I assume is how they did it in 1978,79 and 1980.
Cannot remember if it was 1981 or 82 the Swans re-located to Sydney.
1982 was the Swans first season in Sydney. Before that, VFL Park was a little looser in fixturing, but everyone got a turn every year, including South. Throughout the entire 1970's, the Cats also never played less than 3 games a season at the Park. The perfect symmetry of 11 teams taking 44 spots (1982-86) didn't work, but they tried as best a balance as they could. As long as someone played there each week, the league was happy. In the last three years before relocation, 1979-80-81, the VFL also played 8 trial games in Sydney, only 2 of which included South...

AFL Tables is the site you're looking for...

Remove this Banner Ad

Number of games Victorian teams are playing in Melbourne in 2017 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back