NZ Bands

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton
Went to Wellington last weekend and spent considerable time searching for local CD's. Came back with 6 but could easily have snaffled another half dozen.

These were my pick-ups :

Sola Rosa - 'Haunted Out-Takes'
Shapeshifter - ' Real Time
The Black Seeds - On The Sun'
Good Shirt - 'Good'
The Black Seeds - 'Keep On Pushing'
Pitch Black - 'Futureproof'

Some of the others I listened to :

Dimmer
Fat Freddy's Drop
Conray
Phoenix Foundation

Wanted to but didn't listen to :

Dead End Beat
PanAm

Anyone got any other Kiwi acts they'd like to recommend ???

You may be after stuff that is a bit more now. But a freind of mine had some stuff by a band called Coconut Rough that I really liked. I think Coconut Rough were the remains of The Swingers after they split.

Originally posted by robbie67
You may be after stuff that is a bit more now. But a freind of mine had some stuff by a band called Coconut Rough that I really liked. I think Coconut Rough were the remains of The Swingers after they split.

"Sierra leonne" is a great track.
Andrew Snoid was in the last line up of The Swingers as singer but IIRC he never recorded with them.

my favourite band is shihad (pacifier) so i have to name them... fur patrol go alrite... other good bands include degrees k and salmonella dub...

Once The Headless Chickens stopped doing stuff I drifted away from NZ music, but there was an industrial band from there I did like not long ago, but I can't remember what they were called.
Gruntsplatter are from NZ I think, I don't mind them.

Have a few NZ bands I like. Sticky Filth I saw at The Esplanade one night and they were out of control. Bailterspace had an album called Thermos that I liked a lot. Marching Girls were also from NZ as well werent they?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by PeteLX
Used to love Shihad before they went over-produced and ballady. :(

i know what you're getting at, even though it was still a top CD Pacifier doesn't measure up 2 their previous releases... been listening to killjoy @ the moment... but you should check out the "Live" double cd... has old and new songs, and it is far from overproduced and ballady... definately my favourite cd... gives that raw edge to those newer songs like run or bullitproof and more power to songs like la la land...

Love The Datsuns!

Went to a gig when I was Auckland at Xmas..

Saw The Feelers - liked them a while ago, thought they'd disappeared but they hadn't. They headlined and they went alright.

ELEMENOP - Pretty good. Probably the best of the night.

Steriogram - Lead singer is nuts. I looked at this clown ride his bike to the gig and padlock it to the fence. I thought, "who rides a bike to a gig? The lead singer apparently! Anyway, half way though the set, during a song, jumps over the barricade, wanders over to the bar while singing, jumps behind the bar, pours himself a drink, drinks it, then jumps on the bar, keeps singing, then gets down and starts shakin hands with people, while still singing. Hilarious!

MMM also play their hit song in the footy intros as well..

There's 4 decent bands...

Bic Runga goes alright as well...

I like Bic Runga, although she is more chick music like The Sundays etc.

I like Rhombus and Salmonella Dub...but like Rhombus better.

enzed dub is awesome.

Originally posted by DEVO
Cannot think of any current bands, but as a kid I loved Mi-Sex and Split Enz. Headless Chickens was my favourite from the 90's.

Body Blow is one of my favourite albums. Love Railway Surfing and Gascrankinstation. Did they ever release any stuff before Stunt Clown?

Remove this Banner Ad

NZ Bands

Remove this Banner Ad

Back