Obscure Players That You Remember

Remove this Banner Ad

Dirk Wellham

Absolute garbage cricketer who played 6 Tests in one of our most dire eras.
I reckon that entire generation of Australian cricketers get a leave pass. In any other era, many of them wouldn't have got even close to national selection but these guys went up and did their best at a time when we were struggling.

I reckon that entire generation of Australian cricketers get a leave pass. In any other era, many of them wouldn't have got even close to national selection but these guys went up and did their best at a time when we were struggling.

Nah, he was a bespectacled hack.

I'm not giving leave passes to muppets.

People think guys like Geoff Marsh were better cricketers than they really were. That guy averaged 33 over his 50 largely unearned Tests. 4 tons in 50 matches opening the batting, FFS. It's guys like that who exposed proper cricketers like David Boon, Dean Jones and Allan Border to rebuilding jobs time and time again.

Yeah, they did their best but there is a list a mile long of complete clowns who got Test call ups and played far too much cricket at Test level. Bruce Laird, Graeme Wood and Andrew Hilditch were three more park cricketers who hacked their way through opening the batting during a very dark period. I know we were gutted by World Series Cricket but some of these guys were absolutely terrible.

People think guys like Geoff Marsh were better cricketers than they really were. That guy averaged 33 over his 50 largely unearned Tests. 4 tons in 50 matches opening the batting, FFS. It's guys like that who exposed proper cricketers like David Boon, Dean Jones and Allan Border to rebuilding jobs time and time again.

Yeah, they did their best but there is a list a mile long of complete clowns who got Test call ups and played far too much cricket at Test level. Bruce Laird, Graeme Wood and Andrew Hilditch were three more park cricketers who hacked their way through opening the batting during a very dark period. I know we were gutted by World Series Cricket but some of these guys were absolutely terrible.

It’s a great point.
Imagine giving a guy with a first class average of 42 a whole 6 tests.

Next thing some hack like Marnus Labuschagne who averages 41 in first class cricket will be given half a dozen matches for his country

35 years is a long time to hold a grudge.

I agree Graeme Wood was the worst runner between wickets we ever had and I like how you have strong opinions on this 👍

It’s a great point.
Imagine giving a guy with a first class average of 42 a whole 6 tests.

Next thing some hack like Marnus Labuschagne who averages 41 in first class cricket will be given half a dozen matches for his country
Good to be back phat. How are the windies tracking mate?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dirk Wellham

Absolute garbage cricketer who played 6 Tests in one of our most dire eras.
Would not say that that he was absolute garbage. Very good shield player and was highly respected in State cricket as a leader. Probably got picked too early for Australia but did make 100 in England against Willis and Botham. There has been worse players to play for Australia.

Watching Wood running between the wickets with Rick Darling was compulsory viewing.
I'll never forget the YouTube clip of him scoring (an admittedly wonderful) century against Pakistan and running two or three of his partners out by calling a single and reneging on it. As wood was walking off to applause one bloke verbally abused him in the stands and wood stopped and tried to confront him. IMHO if you score an international ton at home and one of your own supporters wants to fight you afterwards you must be a pretty poor runner between the sticks

Didn't he smakc 49 off 19 against Tassie at North Sydney Oval one day from number 11?
At one stage touted as the fastest bowler in Australian FC cricket.
Got no idea about the batting result but he certainly was in handful of fastest bowlers in the nation at one point.
Probably only McDermott at his very quickest, like 91 tour of Windies, was quicker around that time.

Got no idea about the batting result but he certainly was in handful of fastest bowlers in the nation at one point.
Probably only McDermott at his very quickest, like 91 tour of Windies, was quicker around that time.

He did smack that innings out his arse, I remember it - Mercantioe Mutual Cup era

Duncan Spencer was probably the quickest in the first half of the 90s when he was playing for WA, but that wasn’t until 94(?)

I agree Graeme Wood was the worst runner between wickets we ever had and I like how you have strong opinions on this 👍

Wood's major issue was, he would often run on body language alone, it was an instinctive habit he struggled to overcome - he was just as bad in Shield cricket apparently.

If any Batsmen played a front foot cover/mid-on drive or even a cut shot shot and then happen to take another half step forward, the said batsmen calling 'WAIT' or 'YES' was mainly irrelevant because Wood was already on his bike and run halfway there...!

My Dad picked this up pretty early in his career and said; look, look, if a batsmen plays something off his back foot, that idiot Wood barely moves at the bowlers end....

Remove this Banner Ad

Obscure Players That You Remember

Remove this Banner Ad

Back