News OFFICIAL: Gary Ablett traded to Geelong

How many games will Ablett play for Geelong in his second stint

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Not talking about the size, more the experience. 200+ games will come out with Lonergan gone.
Then again. 300 gone with Enright, 200+ with SJ, 200+ with Ling, 200+ with Scarlett, Chapman, Corey etc etc. Of course we will miss them; won't find another way forward without injecting youth into the side though. Yes our FA acquisitions have made the rebuild considerably smoother, but if we hadn't thrown Blicavs, Kolodjashnij, Stewart, Cockatoo, Parsons, Parfitt, Bews and co into the deep end at some point we'd be buggered.

Not against Gaz coming back, though wouldn't want to give up more than a mid-late pick. Should really just be an incidental thing, secondary to any serious trades we have on the radar for players in their 20s.

Bit embarrassing the board is so obsessed about it too.

Last edited:
Not against Gaz coming back, though wouldn't want to give up more than a mid-late pick. Should really just be an incidental thing, secondary to any serious trades we have on the radar for players in their 20s.

Yeah true how embarrassing, it's not like he and his family have any connection to the club. Plus he's been nothing but a role player and there's nothing interesting about he idea of him going to Geelong. Everyone should get back to discussing serious issues on this current affairs website we are all paid to contribute too.

It's not embarrassing at all.

We need a big bold heading stuck on top of the Geelong board page:

* 2 DRAFT PICKS WERE NOT OFFERED IN ANY SJ OFFER FROM GWS
* STEVE KNOCKED BACK THE TRADE ANYHOW, RENDERING ANY GWS DRAFT PICK OFFER IRRELEVANT.

Doubt that would stop the talk about it - it's probably the most rolled out myth on this board

I'm not sure obsessed is the right word... but the Ablett name is a high profile name for the club and naturally draws attention.

The fact he is back playing well helps keep people going or gets them excited. If he had been playing like a busted arse all year I dare say this thread would be a lot quieter

I'm not sure obsessed is the right word... but the Ablett name is a high profile name for the club and naturally draws attention.

The fact he is back playing well helps keep people going or gets them excited. If he had been playing like a busted arse all year I dare say this thread would be a lot quieter

Fair enough, embarrassing and obsessed aren't the right words and I take your point about the fact Ablett has been playing well.

Last edited:
Yeah true how embarrassing, it's not like he and his family have any connection to the club. Plus he's been nothing but a role player and there's nothing interesting about he idea of him going to Geelong. Everyone should get back to discussing serious issues on this current affairs website we are all paid to contribute too.

Never said it wasn't interesting, but I retract that it is embarrassing, poor choice of words on my part.

Incidentally it's also why GC will be wasting their time trying to get us to trade anything of value for Ablett as while i reckon the players and coaches would be happy to do that it will be Wells call and I can't see him trading decent draft picks for a player of that age.
Would Cook put his two bobs worth in in this particular case,it could boost the clubs bottom line and yes the goal is Premierships,but we might be able to have both in this instance.

Would Cook put his two bobs worth in in this particular case,it could boost the clubs bottom line and yes the goal is Premierships,but we might be able to have both in this instance.

Cook has said he's not a member of the List Management C/tee, but he sits in on their meetings.
You would assume that he might mention the ex-TPP economic possibilities for both club and player in an Ablett-type situation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Wells didn't give up a first rounder for a 29yo Deledio i can't see him giving up one for a 33/34yo Ablett so i wouldn't worry too much sbout about that happening.

He will put his opinion in as will the rest of the club but it will be wells call and wells is pretty considered and factual and doesn't strike me as the sort of guy to make decisions on emotion.

Yep. Was tight last week too but played anyway to have his 300th at home.
He'll be in preety good nick when he's running around for us next year.
Won't cop a tag either. We'll get 2 good years out of him.

Just plonk him in the forward 50. His footy brain is elite.

Remove this Banner Ad

News OFFICIAL: Gary Ablett traded to Geelong

Back