Official GVFL thread (part 1)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Official GVFL thread

No Heart said:
Boys its getting late , but the lions today where awesome , they had a couple of players today that i did not even no about . { SJ } never lets alot out. And yes had a meeting with Eric Bottom on Thursday but has not let us no as yet . I will go out on a limb and say S j { Super Coach ] if he wants the job will be coaching the GVFL in the coming carnival .

Heard today Mr Peterson that S Daniel is coaching now the GVFL ?????

Duff Man said:
No Heart talking to No Heart how many people can you have under the one name S Peterson?????

I doubt it very very much Duff Man that No Heart is not Mr. Peterson. His cricket side (Seymour) is playing in the SDCA A-grade granny this weekend and with an 11am start today (Sunday) there's no way he'd be sitting at his computer at 2am

Doona2 said:
I doubt it very very much Duff Man that No Heart is not Mr. Peterson. His cricket side (Seymour) is playing in the SDCA A-grade granny this weekend and with an 11am start today (Sunday) there's no way he'd be sitting at his computer at 2am

Some people lead boring lives though! :p

Doona2 said:
Was talking to member of Euroa's team just today and they had intra club game yesterday and he was very impressed by what he saw. Dont worry i know there pick ups and they are hungy after last years debacle. They will be very hard to beat this year.

Ventured down to kings park on saturday and was extremely impressed with the new surface, massive improvemement... also with seymour bundoora midfeild showed speed and skill but on the big ground lacked any penertration..they had no backman to look after gordon,saad or pilling. Seymour looked a little rusty but for a first hit out, steve daniels would have to be happy with that... with the players out who are certain to come back in (shottner,anderson,pemberlton,liddel) whos is going to miss out, amad,ratray,thompson may struggle to get into the 1s for round one... will be hard to beat again...was impressed with boruch in the last quater,not sure why he only played last quater but his intensitive was awesum..

Maybe some one directly involved in the club could post there best 21..

No Heart said:
Practice Game
Seymour v Bundoora at Seymour

Seymour 23 13 151
Bundoora 10 7 67

Simon Gordon 9 goals saad saad 7 goals
Heath Ayres for Bundoora is a gun ? But from what i saw today Bundoora was way out of there league . But as the president [for Bundoora }said after the game , they had six senior players out. But when told the lions had J Anderson , S Schottner , B Liddel , P Ratray , M Thomson , G Pemberton, J Amad, all out he was last seen running for his car on the other side of the oval.
What game were you watching No Heart? Gordon kicked 8 and Saad kicked 4. The only other multiple goal scorer was Dom Russo who only played about one and a half qtrs - he kicked 2.

Grandale - Heard that Rattray finished with 13-1 (13 cans / 1 spew).

Jazzy - Get on Rumbalara mate. They're certainties!

The Cat said:
What game were you watching No Heart? Gordon kicked 8 and Saad kicked 4. The only other multiple goal scorer was Dom Russo who only played about one and a half qtrs - he kicked 2.

Got form by big Pat!!! Isn't he still at the bendigo bombers or did he get cut??? How did Ben bailey go?? Bundoora have recruited well but they are no where near the Seymor's and Euroa's of this world!!!

Kyabram played golden Square in a praccy match over the weekend, anyone from that way got any info on the result, who played well, etc??

No Heart said:
Seymour and Euroa will struggle this year Jazzy, the big talk is all Benalla , Mooroopna, and Tatura, jump on one of those.

hey heart, how will the shepp swans go this year? got any mail on them?

PLAYER69 said:
Got form by big Pat!!! Isn't he still at the bendigo bombers or did he get cut??? How did Ben bailey go?? Bundoora have recruited well but they are no where near the Seymor's and Euroa's of this world!!!
Ben Bailey went well, great to see him back after 2 yrs out injured. After watching the 2nd half, Bundoora will have a long season in front of them. Good old Patty is a good looking man, especially after a few. With that many players out, Seymour will be a force again this year.

Although Saad Saad has alot of brilliance he won't do the dour team things and is very lazy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Cat said:

Sorry Cat, it was late and had a big day.

FootyFreak69 said:

FootyFreak, I think they will improve this year , but to what heights i dont know. 10 goals at least of the pack last year so have got some ground to make up.

Cheers

Sorry TuscanRaider for earlier spelling, monday morning and early...plus not the best speller going around

and Cat... were you actually at the game... seymour main 3 forwards all kicked multiples... gorgon,saad and pilling.. pilling kicked 2 and quite easily could of had 5 or 6. If they all stay fit it will be a hard to match up forward line, it will be interesting to see how steve daniels uses shotner and bailey. would be a mamouth task to man up on of those 2 playing in a forward pocket, especially after 2 big man in gordon and pilling and saad. If seymour can find a half forward that can kick 1 or 2 a game the will be hard to hold. I do reckon as good as there midfield is it still lacks to kick goals.

FootyFreak69 said:

I know they lost to Corowa-Rutherglen by a few goals at Corowa on Saturday.

Unsure of both teams' exact line-ups as to who did and didn't play but Corowa would be expecting to play finals this season so I'm not sure if the Swans would be happy with that result or not??

BYSTANDER said:
Sorry TuscanRaider for earlier spelling, monday morning and early...plus not the best speller going around

and Cat... were you actually at the game... seymour main 3 forwards all kicked multiples... gorgon,saad and pilling.. pilling kicked 2 and quite easily could of had 5 or 6. If they all stay fit it will be a hard to match up forward line, it will be interesting to see how steve daniels uses shotner and bailey. would be a mamouth task to man up on of those 2 playing in a forward pocket, especially after 2 big man in gordon and pilling and saad. If seymour can find a half forward that can kick 1 or 2 a game the will be hard to hold. I do reckon as good as there midfield is it still lacks to kick goals.
Was at the game Bystander, but only had Pilling penciled in for one. Could have missed one though as I had a few trips to the bar and the loo.

Not sure I agree with you about their onballers not kicking goals. Brendan Liddell is always good for a couple, so is Gezza (although he is more of a fwd pkt), and I reckon Colbert will chip in with a few here and there. Then you have Haberman, Penn, Jake Anderson, Reid & Van Reit who all snagged one on Saturday (pretty certain they did anyway).

Chuck in a resting Schotty or Bailey, plus Rattray and Davey - and I reckon there's some good fire power up forward.

Travvy43 said:
Kyabram played golden Square in a praccy match over the weekend, anyone from that way got any info on the result, who played well, etc??

I didn't go to the game but I heard Square rolled Ky by about 20 points with Newman lively up forward for Ky with 4 or so goals.

Fair call cat, but was just my opion, all those midfielders can push forward but they wouldnt be a major threat to opposition midfields in regards to kicking goals, bu in hardness if there anything like last year they will be good. I like the look of that anderson.
I asked the question last year regarding b.liddel and was told he played 90% of last year on the half forward so cant really have him as a midfielder and based on the limited games i saw last year and saturdays game i reckon gerard may have to play very well every game to hold his spot, i cant see him being in the best 21. but when he is good he is very good.

I also reckon colbert will be hand but what positions im not sure..still havent had anyone from seymour give us there best 21...

jazzy said:
hey anyone out there heard who are going to be the powerhouses in the gv this year. heard seymour and euroa will be the teams to beat again, but wanted to know if anyone had heard about some recruiting from other clubs.
I watched Benalla play Wang Rovers on Saturday night and Benalla won by 20 points. They looked pretty damn good actually. Big Mark Porter will be giving all coaches magor headaches this year. He looks in top nick. Not carrying any extra weight at all. Actually it's the fittest I've seen him for a while (I'm a North fan). Porter was all over the ground taking marks winning hittouts and busting packs. Actually some of his tackles were back breaking. He laid one on some poor Wang Rovers bastard and the poor bloke didn't get up for a while. Porter was really pumped. I had a listen to Benalla's 3/4 time huddle and it was Porter getting everyone fired up. He told them to get into the habbit of winning. He said we didn't just come here for a run around did we..... and all that sort of talk but to hear it from a big recruit was pretty impressive. The whole team lifted in the last quarter and i'm sure he was a big part of that. When a player of his calibre gets in your ear i reckon you bloody well listen.
Also noticed a young bloke even taller then Porter. His name is Shaker. He's a young gun and is really big. Another new player i can't remember his name but they called him Eddie. He was hitting packs real hard. Looked good and plays hard.
Add some of these new ones to the Stevens brothers, Symes up forward who didn't play and Macca (Can't remember his name) who kicked around 8 goals well Benalla will be hard to beat this year.

Angus1 said:
I watched Benalla play Wang Rovers on Saturday night and Benalla won by 20 points. They looked pretty damn good actually. Big Mark Porter will be giving all coaches magor headaches this year. He looks in top nick. Not carrying any extra weight at all. Actually it's the fittest I've seen him for a while (I'm a North fan). Porter was all over the ground taking marks winning hittouts and busting packs. Actually some of his tackles were back breaking. He laid one on some poor Wang Rovers bastard and the poor bloke didn't get up for a while. Porter was really pumped. I had a listen to Benalla's 3/4 time huddle and it was Porter getting everyone fired up. He told them to get into the habbit of winning. He said we didn't just come here for a run around did we..... and all that sort of talk but to hear it from a big recruit was pretty impressive. The whole team lifted in the last quarter and i'm sure he was a big part of that. When a player of his calibre gets in your ear i reckon you bloody well listen.
Also noticed a young bloke even taller then Porter. His name is Shaker. He's a young gun and is really big. Another new player i can't remember his name but they called him Eddie. He was hitting packs real hard. Looked good and plays hard.
Add some of these new ones to the Stevens brothers, Symes up forward who didn't play and Macca (Can't remember his name) who kicked around 8 goals well Benalla will be hard to beat this year.

Shaker is Brendan Van "Milk" Schaik who spent last year on Melbourne's rookie list after coming through the Benalla juniors and the Murray TAC Cup side.

Macca is Mark Mackenzie who finished with nine goals, and is most famous for having bad B.O in last year's elimination final against Shepparton where he kicked five goals...well something's got to explain why Adrian Hickmott didn't go near him all game despite being his direct opponent.

Angus1 said:

Who was Eddie? Was that John Shiels?

Bradrowe#32's 2006 Season Review

Seymour

No doubt Seymour benefited from finishing 3rd last year, but when the game was on the line, they were the ones who stepped up. After an ordinary end to season 2004, the Lions took all before them in 2005 and won when it mattered.

Although people concentrate on the flashy Saad, Seymour is a very workmanlike team. Jeff Anderson is one of the best, dour defenders in the league, consistently restricting fancied opponents. Ruckman Shane Schottner is nothing short of a champion in GV footy and was most deserving of his premiership medallion. Robbie Douglas, Adam Reid and Bernie Haberman form a formidable running combination.

Losing Rattray (who I rate very highly) will be offset by the return of Simon Gordon, who has performed well at GV level.

It’s difficult to see Seymour missing finals. With the talent and proven capacity to play at a higher level, they will definitely have a massive say in who wins the 2006 cup.

Euroa

The Magpies have had a long preseason, haunted by their last quarter (actually, last 10 minute) fade out, which ultimately cost them the flag. After an impressive season - where they only lost one game – Euroa kicked it up a gear in September. Impressive wins over Mansfield and Seymour installed the Magpies as favourites to take home the silverware. However, it was not to be.

This year, Euroa has boosted their stock by adding two big recruits: former Brisbane and Richmond midfielder Rory Hilton, who should add a touch of class and toughness and former VFL player Damon Clarke (202cm forward). They should fit in nicely with Daniel Sage, Shane and Mark Clayton, Daniel Thomson, Hayden Lamaro, Shannon Gibson and Daniel Howse, amongst the many other quality players.

Euroa’s strength lies in their forward line (last year, they had the most ‘points for’ – more than 300 from the next closest) and the imposing target of Grainger (87 goals). Their hard running (and goal scoring) midfield is arguably the best in the league. One criticism of Euroa has been their lack of defensive effort. Last year Mansfield, Seymour and Benalla all conceded fewer points than Euroa. This may be construed as arrogance or lack of respect, but with their firepower, they can generally get away with it.

Euroa will be around the mark this year and have the team to win the flag. One unanswered question is whether they will be able to bounce back after last year’s disappointment. I think we will find out on the last Saturday in September.

Benalla

After a disappointing finale to 2005, with losses to Shepparton, Mansfield, Kyabram, Mooroopna and Shepparton United, Benalla limped into the finals series after finishing 5th. A hard fought win over Shepparton in the elimination final was impressive considering their form, as was their effort the following week when they pushed Mansfield in the first semi.

After some encouraging signs in 2005, this is the year for Benalla to deliver. The arrival of big man Mark Porter (110 games for Carlton/Kangaroos) is a massive bonus and will compete well against the Schottners’ and Sutherlands’ of the league. Porter’s colleagues include former Kangaroos captain and member of its’ team of the century, Anthony Stevens, who made an impressive, albeit injury interrupted debut in GV football. Work commitments could be a factor, but Stevens is as professional as they come. Nathalia premiership player Brett Vallender and John Shiels add depth and class. Brendan Stevens is coming off an excellent year and is well respected player around the league.

And to finish off all the good work is Ricky Symes. After booting a league best 113 majors, Symes was a formidable target that often ripped attacks apart. He is set for another big year in front of the sticks, with the excellent midfield delivery he can expect. Mark McKenzie provides excellent support.

Benalla have always had competitive reserves (premiers 2003) and thirds (premiers in 2002 and 2004) teams, but appear to have lost a fair few this year. I expect them to figure heavily in finals calculations. After consistently playing finals for the last five or so seasons, its time for Benalla to take the next step.

Mooroopna

Can Mooroopna finally snap an absence from finals action? It has been 17 years since the Cats last made the finals and I think this will be the year. Last year they finished one game out of the finals, but caused some upsets (defeating Benalla twice) along the way. However, they were the definition of the middle range club: beating those below them, but struggling to conquer those above them.

It would appear that Derek Hall has an embarrassment of riches, with five former AFL players on the books. Brad Campbell had an excellent year, finishing equal 6th in the Morrison Medal and polling well in the media awards. His brother Blake brought 11 AFL games of experience and added depth and skill to their midfield.

Balraj Singh was a sensation for Mooroopna last year. After walking out on the Griffith Swans early in the season, the former Adelaide draftee finished 6th in the league goalkicking with 63 majors. Singh combined well with Robert Osborne (29 goals) and Brad Campbell (35 goals) to help his team kick the 6th highest points for total in the league. Former Carlton player Karl Norman comes to the club with a dotted history, but has shown glimpses of potential. Under this setting, the imposing tall could finally produce. With the quality of forwards at Hall’s disposal, Norman could find himself holding down a key backline position with Geoff Conally, who despite his former club’s woes, had a brilliant year, gaining GV representation.

Jarrod Best, Gary Learmouth and Nick Aloi round out the list of big name signings that will sure propel the Cats to greater heights. History suggests that they will miss out again, but I think they will sneak in.

Echuca

The Murray Bombers would be very disappointed with how their 2006 season ended. After a promising start to the year, Echuca couldn’t string together sequences of wins, which meant they were forever clinging onto a spot in the finals. They were finally dislodged in round fourteen at the hands of arch rivals Rochester and missed the finals for the first time since 2000.

However, there is some optimism for the year. Premier onballers Dylan Butler and Colin Durie suffered debilitating injuries and should be back to their best. Xavier and Jamus Campbell, Luke Agg and Brendan Prendergast provide a solid core of experienced and quality players. New additions will be Chris Casey, who spent the majority of 2005 with the Bendigo Pioneers and significant interstate signees such as Stephen White and Brett Howman add height and experience.

Brad Smith is back and is a proving big game player (Wilf Cox medallist in 2002 premiership team), although it is unknown if he can stand up to the riggors of GV footy after a period out of the game. History suggests that he will be up to the challenge.

The loss of young gun Archard will be softened by the return of GV representative Josh Maddox. Archard is on the move to try his luck in the SANFL after becoming a very accomplished GV player in such a short time. Maddox has the game to soften the blow.

Other significant losses include Ben Wilson, Sean Murphy (35 goals in 2005), Matt Martin and Craig Frost, but on the balance, Echuca should be around the mark. With their reasonable draw, they will make the top six.

Rochester

It promises to be an interesting year for the Tigers. With David Williams entering his 15th year as coach, his team with have his trademark toughness. The addition of Elliott Bowen from the Bendigo Bombers will add much needed height, especially in the backline. The signing of Bowen was supposed to be the lure for Numukah star Mark Brown to the club, however this didn’t eventuate. Former Kangaroos ruckman Hugh Foott was another player sought with no luck. Russell Weekley is a hard running back flanker from Nyah Nyah West United and should help in the backline.

On paper, Rochester appears to be the same team that sneaked into the finals. However, after Christmas, significant losses such as midfielder Ryan Connaughton (South Bendigo), classy backman Nick Knight (South Bendigo), emerging ruckman Adam Bright and the possible loss of Andrew Palmer to LBU could spell trouble for the Tigers. The biggest loss will be star midfielder Chris McCarty, who departs the club after round seven to work overseas.

Last year the club focused on developing the youth, and this year will be the test to see if those plans have come to fruition. A club record of four players have made the Bendigo Pioneers squad, with Brodie Montague the pick of the crop. Montague kicked four goals from a wing in the epic clash against Euroa. Other youngsters such as the hardworking Marty McKenzie and polished forward Matthew Letcher will be given an opportunity to shine. With the thirds competing in the last two years of finals football, another crop of quality youngsters has come through the ranks.

Add this to the seasoned veterans of best and fairest winner Dean Moon, GV representative Sam Brennan, VCFL representative Heath Aitken, Anthony McPhee, Daniel Schmidt, Clint Whitsed, Michael Loughman and the emergence of Dylan Cuttriss, Adrian Pappin, Kahl Oliver and Nathan Whipp and the Tigers should be competitive. However, with the loss of key players and a tough draw (compared with Mooroopna and Echuca), I think the finals is just out of reach (for only the 3rd time in David Williams’ reign).

Mansfield

I think this will be the year Mansfield will fall from grace. Three of their big players in Mensch, Tranquilli and Hulme are on the move and haven’t been replaced. Others to depart are Ben Millott and Jason Looby.

After breaking through for their first GV flag in sensational fashion in 2004, Mansfield were around the mark in 2005. They were the only team to defeat Euroa in the home and away matches. Mensch finished with 92 goals and Tranquilli kicked 35 goals. Suddenly, Mansfield will lose basically their whole attack, which will mean a step back to the pack.

Their biggest strength was their size, which overpowered many teams. The Mansfield midfield is one of the better units in the league, with Walker, Storer and the ultra impressive Trent Hotton, who had a career season in 2005. Hotton finished second in the Morrison Medal and high in the media awards. Interestingly, he only kicked seven goals for the year. He may be used more as a forward target this year.

On the plus side Nathan Reynoldson returns to bolster the midfield, but other than that, they have been very quiet.

Shepparton United

United’s season was almost over before it started, with the club losing both the highly rated Brad and Steve Hazelman in their round two derby loss to Shepparton. Still, they remained competitive and finished the season with successive wins.

The shining star was Matt Forys, who kicked 69 goals for the year. Schirmer had a good year, as did Russell Gibson. Shane Sali is a GV rising star.

Tyson Sidebottom from Tallygaroopna appears to be the pick of their signings. Sidebottom was impressive in the KDFL and won the best on ground award in their surprise triumph over the highly rated Stanhope.

They will improve, but won’t make the finals.

Shepparton Swans

The Swans are a bit of a maligned club (along the lines of Mooroopna). There last premiership was in 1970, but they have had chances since then: they finished on top in 2003 only to crash in the finals. To me, they seem to be a club that’s neither here nor there.

This year, they appear to have been the big movers in the pre-season, having picked up Lachlan Veale (Western Bulldogs), Craig Stratham (Glenelg), Heath Wren and a few others.

They did lose Ramadam Yze early last year which was a massive blow, but they do have some good players, such as Matthew McCarthy (45 goals), Nathan Bell, Hayden Best, Tim Kirkman and Jason Rachele.

I think they will improve, but fall a couple of games short of the finals.

Kyabram

Finished last year on a very disappointing note. With a potential finals birth on the line, the Bombers were flogged by over 100 points by a rampaging Seymour to miss out by percentage. It was a sour end to such an encouraging year, with many tenacious performances against the odds. The bad news is that I don’t think Kyabram will be in contention this year.

The last time the Bombers made the finals was in 1999 and has been in the football wasteland ever since. After a successful decade in the 90’s, they have been in a trough that doesn’t appear to be ending in 2006. Kyabram do possess some quality players: Paul Newman is an elite GV footballer. Last year he kicked 53 goals (including 14 majors against Echuca in round 18; a win that kept their finals hopes on track). Coach Mark Adamson had a good year (33 goals), as did Heath Barnett. Chris Atkins is one of the league’s premier midfielder, however it is rumoured that he is going overseas this year.

An exodus of players has left with Corey Carver, for KDFL team Lancaster. Their replacements come from far and wide. However, there are no big names to replace Atkins or support Newman. This year, there will be even more reliance on Tim Watson, an ageing Ian Boyd, Scott McCormack, Dion Ciavola and Oliver Boyd.

However, Kyabram does have a very successful underage system. Their thirds’ won the flag in 2003 and finished runner-up last year. They would be looking for many of those players to develop and maintain positions in the senior team. This will take some time and will be on the wrong side of a few hidings before their time comes.

Shepparton

Shepparton will slide this year. Despite finishing fourth, the Bears were defeated by Benalla in the Elimination Final and appear to have gone backwards for season 2006.

Anthony Mellington was impressive with 57 goals and the much maligned Sean Harrop kicked 40. Jeremy O’Brien proved his worth with 24 goals and quality work around the midfield. Shadbolt, Wells and ageless Steve Ash provided solid support. The main key to Shepparton was Morrison Medallist Matthew Byers, who was close to unstoppable in the midfield.

The losses started early, with Travis Hampshire signalling his intentions to coach Congupna and taking several players with him, including Terance Touhey and Jarred Maskell. Other like Nick Miller and Heath Barton make things tough for the Bears and I think they will miss.

No doubt, however, that their reserves team will be strong.

Tatura

The very proud Tatura would’ve found last year’s fall from grace difficult to handle. After a mass exodus of experienced and quality players, Tatura fell to the tail of the ladder, winning only three games.

In a season with few highlights, the performance of bigman Paul Kirby was a bright spot. The champion ruckman won the Forty Winks media award and polled heavily in the Morrison Medal. Linc Wellington was brilliant down back and had the honour of captaining the victorious interleague team. Down forward, Michael Roberts kicked 36 goals.

The search for players to rebuild the club has been far and wide, with players from Queensland, NSW and metropolitan leagues signed. Their biggest signing is Marty McGrath, who burst onto the AFL scene in 2003 when he kicked 5 goals on debut. Unfortunately, his career ended prematurely and has spent the last few seasons in metropolitan leagues. He will add a touch of class to the midfield and forward line.

They have a favourable draw, only playing last year’s grand finalists once. However, this won’t save them and they should finish in the bottom four.

© bradrowe#32 20/3/06. All rights reserved. Written permission required for reproduction (especially from Shepparton News journalists too lazy to do their own research!)

Like your work rowey. :thumbsu:

Just a couple of additions / amendments for you:-

1. My mail is that Rattray could well be back at the Den again this year as the Bendigo try-out hasn't work as well as he would have liked.

2. I thought Howse (Euroa) was playing with Bundoora this year?

3. Shane Sali (United) is not a happy camper at the moment, and is in deep discussion with Swans. My understanding is that United will reject any clearance application, but Swans have got him a job and offered him a bit of pocket money to play. This one is likely to go to an appeal, but at this early stage I believe he will play for the Swans this year.

4. Shepp Bears will struggle, and there 2's will not be anywhere near as strong as recent years. As of last week, they had a senior playing list of about 34. Looks like centreman Steve Dickinson may have done a knee in a praccy match over the weekend, and will have scans this week. They also suffered another injury to one of their younger brigade. That brings their list down to 32 available senior players less than a month before the start of the season. The Bears have an excellent committee, but difficult to see them being able to pick up their numbers greatly in the next few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad