Official Match Preview Thread Round 3 versus Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

i thought taylor did oright against the tiges, well a dump-load better that versus the hawks.

Totally agree. Taylor was fantastic against the tigers.

Does anyone know if i would need to pre-book tickets for this match. I was planning on going when the gate opens and just use my membership whilst others would buy general admission and wed go sit in the general admission are. Is the game ticketed?

Great write up there Dave86. :thumbsu: Was interested to see we both had quite a few match-ups the same, and both tipped the Cats by a similar margin.

Read an interesting article in today's Herald-Sun about the Magpies having had experience in getting up for games with four or five days break, citing having Anzac Day clashes regularly scheduled midweek as an example of this. Does anyone see this as one area Collingwood has an edge over us?

I think it plays into Geelong's hands. I'd be more concerned if you had a Dawes or Rusling playing out of the goalsquare who would actually have a chance of giving Scarlett something to worry about.

Not really.

Scarlett gets Rocca.

Taylor gets Cloke (Cloke towells up either Harley or Taylor on a regular occurance)

Normally a Hunt would get a Rusling (the 3rd tall) but who now plays on Jack Anthony, who is more dangerous than either Rusling or Dawes.

Throw in a Medhurst who is returning to fitness (& is deceptively good overhead) & the importance of Rocca creating mismatches cannot be underestimated.

Not really.

Scarlett gets Rocca.

Taylor gets Cloke (Cloke towells up either Harley or Taylor on a regular occurance)

Normally a Hunt would get a Rusling (the 3rd tall) but who now plays on Jack Anthony, who is more dangerous than either Rusling or Dawes.

Throw in a Medhurst who is returning to fitness (& is deceptively good overhead) & the importance of Rocca creating mismatches cannot be underestimated.

Hopefully Bomber doesn't fall for the ploy of Scarlett getting dragged away from the goal square this time. I'd start Milburn on Rocca and Scarlett on Anthony. If Malthouse goes to move Anthony up the ground, put Milburn on him and move Scarlett to Rocca. If Rocca is then moved up the ground, put Taylor on him and move Scarlett to Cloke. If Cloke's then moved up the ground, put Mackie on him and put Scarlett on whoever's at full forward. They can't keep moving forwards up the ground to get Scarlett out of his comfort zone, as soon they'd have no-one to kick to. :p

I don't see it that way at all.

With form and fitness he is in, he will regularly be beaten in contests and Scarlett will have a field day running off him.

I think it plays into Geelong's hands. I'd be more concerned if you had a Dawes or Rusling playing out of the goalsquare who would actually have a chance of giving Scarlett something to worry about.

anthony and cloke are far more dangerous at this point, and maybe that is why the pies bring in rocca, to divert scarlett.

rocca will probably be told to take scarlett away from the play as much as possible.

Games in which Scarlett is able to collect 20-30 possessions running off his man and through the middle of the park are typically games Geelong wins by 10+ goals.

If Rocca plays, this is what is at risk of occurring. Rocca does not presently posess the fitness to be dragging Scarlett around. Scarlett will dictate terms.

Taylor will play on Cloke (incidentally, they have only played on each other once where Cloke took the honours but it was only Taylor's 7th game of AFL football, he has come a way since then).

That leaves Anthony. Scarlett may well go to him for periods of the game, but the other options are Mackie and Milburn or even Lonergan if he is brought in for a game. Anthony is a good young player, but let's not kid ourselves, he is no Fevola or Jon Brown (at least just yet).

My point about Dawes or Rusling is that either would create a viable forward option that would require actual minding by Scarlett and not just a diversionary tactic.

Remember, Rocca was toweled by an 18 year old skinny full back and a rookie list ruckman at the weekend. I maintain that he will be a liability if he plays in the ones this week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

didnt he play on cloke in the nab cup grand final?

Right you are forssy. Of course, I was thinking of the real stuff.

In the NAB Cup GF, afl.com.au saw it as follows:

Harry Taylor clearly won his battle with Travis Cloke

Excellent preview DaVe86. My feeling is we are vulnerable at present. We have a sizeable list of injuries ( you pretty much have a full list); a number of our players not anywhere their best; we face an impressive forward half playing well and a ruckman in top form. Throw in the fact that Malthouse invariably wins the strategic battle and you have a recipe for a Collingwood win – much as it pains me to say it as it's going to cost me.:eek:

Thanks for your insight DaVe86 made good reading. Always interesting reading how someone else is thinking. Well done on a great effort.

One thing is its going to be a ripper game.

didnt meant that he struggled in terms of been beaten...i mean he seemed to be carrying a back injury and struggled in that regards. I agree he played a great game.

That's fair enough. Thanks for the post mate. Was a great read :thumbsu:

Rocca surely won't play.

Not sure why some Cats fans are so worried - we are not playing well enough at the minute and you still have your midfield pretty well in tact to beat us again. Away from the dome I think it might only be a 7 goal win or so this time round.

Hoping for a better performance from J Anthony on Scarlett to show he has learned something from playing on the best.

Excellent preview DaVe86. My feeling is we are vulnerable at present. We have a sizeable list of injuries ( you pretty much have a full list); a number of our players not anywhere their best; we face an impressive forward half playing well and a ruckman in top form. Throw in the fact that Malthouse invariably wins the strategic battle and you have a recipe for a Collingwood win – much as it pains me to say it as it's going to cost me.:eek:

Yeah I am actually a bit worried about this one - am tipping us by default but we are the most vunerable we have been for a while. I know he is not at his best but it will be interesting to see how Scarlett bounces back after indifferent form in parts last week. Last week the cracks showed a bit and it wouldn't surprise me if we go down actually.

Remove this Banner Ad

Official Match Preview Thread Round 3 versus Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back