Mega Thread Official Thread: Melbourne Coach 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Melbourne Coach 2012

i've mentioned before they need to make an uncompromising play for Malthouse. Get Demetriou on board and make it happen. A loss like that has a ripple. Doesn't matter how, just get it done. ***k i'd pay another 50 a year on my membership to secure him.

Mark Neeld

Collingwood - Asst. Coach

DOB:13/07/1971

Playing record:
Geelong 1990-1993: 48 games, 17 goals
Richmond 1994-1996: 26 games, 16 goals

Coaching record:
Old Geelong 1997-1999
Ocean Grove 2000-2003: P'Ships - 4
St Joseph's 2004
Western Jets 2005-2007
Collingwood Asst. Coach 2008-

Mark played 74 league games in seven season for Geelong and Richmond. He came to Collingwood in 2008 as defensive assistant coach after a decorated coaching career at suburban and elite junior level, most recently at the helm of the Western Jets in Victoria's TAC Cup Under 18 competition. Coached Ocean Grove to four straight premierships from 2000-2003.
Neeld created a working class outfit in defence in 2009. Led by skipper Nick Maxwell, the Magpie back six gave up the second least points against in the AFL.
In 2010 Neeld oversaw the midfield group which included new draftees Luke Ball and Darren Jolly. Neeld's midfield boasted three All-Australians including Scott Pendlebury, Alan Didak and Dane Swan. Swan (24 votes) and Pendlebury (21) finished in the top five in the Brownlow.
Mark is a Level 3 accredited Coach, and has a Bachelor of Education as well as a Graduate Diploma in Physical Education.

From http://www.aflca.com.au/index.php?id=17&coachID=1838179

off the adelaide coaching candidate's thread, seems like a good coach

i've mentioned before they need to make an uncompromising play for Malthouse. Get Demetriou on board and make it happen. A loss like that has a ripple. Doesn't matter how, just get it done. ***k i'd pay another 50 a year on my membership to secure him.

What does Demetriou have to do with going after Mick?

Damien Barret said this morning that earlier in the year Maulthouse was very interested in coaching Melbourne next year but had decided to stay at collingwood, but Damien reckons after the result on the weekend Mick might do a backflip and consider the Melbourne job again but who really knows.

As for Todd Viney I've heard he is not up with all the moden tactics and game plans, he is good at his fitness role but as a senior coach he just wouldn't be up to it and doesn't want to coach at AFL level.

Unless I've got my facts wrong, MFC has had 1st year 'rookies' as coach since Ron Barassi and John Northey in the 80's. Nothing wrong with 'blooding' new coaches, but with the current list, is 2012 the right time for another 'rookie'.

I'd look at established coaches first eg. Clarkson, Eade etc., and if nothing can be done there, then look at the current assistants.

I wonder what Neil Daniher would be able do with the current list? It would be interesting.

Problem with established coaches is the besides Eade (and even then he may stay at Dogs) and Craig (do you really want him? Seems a lot like Bailey to me) it is unlikely any will be available. And do you want Eade? Is getting on now and has coached a mighty long time for no flag despite having reasonably good teams at the Swans and Dogs.

As I have said cut the crap and just get Brenton Sanderson. Has been assistant for many years and not just at Geelong. He is not too long out of the game and is young and hungry as hell for a senior job.

As a player was an underrated, tough hard nosed defender who often played on bigger opponents. Will be more than capable of installing required mongrel into his players.

Re: Brian Royal to Coach Demons

WTF is going on at our club!!!!

damian barret said on the future there is definite fractures within the footy club and that the board is split

schwab and connoly on one side, and stynes lyon and others on the other side

some real shit is going down at the club and its showing on field
When the shit hits the fan it really hits the fan at Melbourne. We are not a footy club, we are a soap opera.

Bailey lost the players in his first 2 games, how he survived for almost 4 years amazes me. He even almost stuffed up our tanking.

I think Lyon has set this up from the start so either he or one of his mates could take over. For a person who says he has very little influence at club Lyon is getting a lot of coverage.

The fact the he hasn't taken any responsibility for Bailey's disasterous tenure as coach has got me thinking on why hasn't he?

You know what makes me laugh? The fact that everyone now wants an experienced coach. Malthouse wins a flag and now it's suddenly in vogue.

We pissed on a 4 time premiership coach and took an unknown. That was the worst decision in the clubs recent history and I don't know how Lyon can justify it but he better.

When the shit hits the fan it really hits the fan at Melbourne. We are not a footy club, we are a soap opera.

Bailey lost the players in his first 2 games, how he survived for almost 4 years amazes me. He even almost stuffed up our tanking.

I think Lyon has set this up from the start so either he or one of his mates could take over. For a person who says he has very little influence at club Lyon is getting a lot of coverage.

The fact the he hasn't taken any responsibility for Bailey's disasterous tenure as coach has got me thinking on why hasn't he?

You know what makes me laugh? The fact that everyone now wants an experienced coach. Malthouse wins a flag and now it's suddenly in vogue.

We pissed on a 4 time premiership coach and took an unknown. That was the worst decision in the clubs recent history and I don't know how Lyon can justify it but he better.

Very good post. :thumbsu:

I have no idea who should coach this club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very good post. :thumbsu:

I have no idea who should coach this club.

Assuming a certain scenario unfolds out West....

Coach: Brendan Sanderson
Senior Assistant: Rodney Eade
Forward Coach: ??
Midfield Coach: Scott West
Defensive Coach: ??
Development Coach: Todd Viney

Why not?

I know this is a radical idea, but could it be that Gary Lyon is getting a lot of media coverage because he has a lot of media exposure?

This. He is probably the most exposed Melbourne name in the footy world. The fact that he had some contemplation of coaching once, then coached the International Rules side, made a lot of people put 2 and 2 together and push him to become coach of the Dees.

Assuming a certain scenario unfolds out West....

Coach: Brendan Sanderson
Senior Assistant: Rodney Eade
Forward Coach: ??
Midfield Coach: Scott West
Defensive Coach: ??
Development Coach: Todd Viney

Why not?

How about David Neitz as the forward coach.

I know this is a radical idea, but could it be that Gary Lyon is getting a lot of media coverage because he has a lot of media exposure?
Why the hell is he going to talk to Jimmy if he has very little to do with the club?

I think the last thing Stynes needs to do is chat with anyone that doesn't have a big say in where the club is going.

Brendan Mccartney at Essendon ( was at Geelong for 10 years) is always extremely highly rated and has many times been called the best assistant coach in the country by many people, so he could be a real smart pick.

I know hindsight is 20 20 but looking back, do you feel the decision to not pick Kevin Sheedy hurts more now, especially since the push is on to pick an experienced coach?

Unless I've got my facts wrong, MFC has had 1st year 'rookies' as coach since Ron Barassi and John Northey in the 80's. Nothing wrong with 'blooding' new coaches, but with the current list, is 2012 the right time for another 'rookie'.

I'd look at established coaches first eg. Clarkson, Eade etc., and if nothing can be done there, then look at the current assistants.

I wonder what Neil Daniher would be able do with the current list? It would be interesting.

This is what I've been saying for a while, if we have a rookie coach next year I will be ****ing pissed off, that being said, it's going to be hard to get a good experienced coach for 2012...

They really need to go HARD at Malthouse, and everyone else in my opinion. See who comes to the party. Plenty of coaches would love to have the reins at our club. The talent is there to play finals.

Why the hell is he going to talk to Jimmy if he has very little to do with the club?

I think the last thing Stynes needs to do is chat with anyone that doesn't have a big say in where the club is going.
I'm not saying he's not talking to Jimmy or anything, but I'm sure Jimmy has talked to lots of people who aren't getting the coverage that Gary gets because they don't have the profile Gary has.

I don't think Gary desperately wants to be coach, and I don't think we should appoint someone who doesn't desperately want to be coach. I think Gary is entitled to his opinions on Melbourne as much as he is entitled to have opinions on any other club, and I think Jimmy is entitled to talk to anyone he wants to.

They really need to go HARD at Malthouse, and everyone else in my opinion. See who comes to the party. Plenty of coaches would love to have the reins at our club. The talent is there to play finals.

Offer him 1million dollar per year over a 4-year contract RIGHT NOW! and see if that tickles his fancy..

Also how about that cameron dude?

im stealing this suggestion off someone else, but i wonder if they should have a chat with garry ayres and see if he wants back to the big time, he is doing a magnificent job with the stand alone port in the VFL, and he certainly wouldnt baby the players along... worth a chat at least

Thats what I wanted to say....I feel so sorry for the demons - its not the club thats a disgrase its the coach and players.

I know everyone is upset and angry and why shouldnt they be BUT with what ando said in mind, a knee-jerk reaction is the wost thing as it may be a case of either sticking with baily and having a cleanout of assistance or nother untried coach. Personally I think Sanderson or Neale/Burns from Collingwood would be the better candidates out of the 'untried' - dont forget everyone was an 'untried' coach once. sure you can try and asked them and give them an offer to consider but apart from that, thats all can be done.

I dont like knee-jerk reactions...I loath them so I hope that a decision is made in a day or two and not now when everyone is angry.

I still think you have a tallented group - just need a couple of harder bodies in the mid and a key foward....oh and someone who knows how to coach the best out of them.

Ive been there - and it suxs big time but I honestly think it will come for Melbourne...hang in there guys and gals!

PS HFF....the players and coach need to have a long think about your sig.....

Lol fantastic!POTY Jtr has gone All quiet. Does he have multiple personality disorder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back