Mega Thread Official Thread: Melbourne Coach 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Melbourne Coach 2012

@nickgrand69

Brent Moloney is not a one trick pony. Yes, he has a very good trick (combo with Russian) but does a lot of solid work away from clearances.

Jared Rivers should only play as a 3rd backman. He only has the height and weight for that role.

I partially agree with your call in Colin Sylvia but he has been building much more consistency recently

Davey being unable to break a tag is a problem but he is too far into his career to rectify it now

yeah but his numbers drop away massively without jamar,

and rivers, correct me if im wrong but apart from nick maxwell, how many sides carry a permanent 3rd tall who cant play any other position

and with sylvia, thats good, but last year he was having 30 disposal games and kicking 3-4 goals.. thats the real col sylvia, he is just so much better than a 'consistent performer' , although granted 2 yrs ago we would have take consistency

Nick Maxwell may be the only one, but his side won a flag so they must be doing something right

id argue that being a premiership side there able to carry him, if he was delisted at seasons end he certainly wouldnt be 'hot property'

I'd like to point out that the winning captain of the last four premiership teams was deployed as a loose defender - possibly the easiest role to play on the field. Perhaps there's some sense in ensuring their footy is easy so they can concentrate on directing and inspiring the playing group. I certainly don't think Brad Green has blossomed since being named captain. If your captain can't kick for goal as consistently as Dom Cassisi, I think you should put him in defense!

Took ten years to win a flag.

Bailey for mine, built this group and it's developing nicely.

Yep, that's my opinion as well and happy to have it on the record. I also think Bails deserves a chance to coach without the involvement of Schwab.

Oh it's official now? Where was my memo?

No thanks to Craig.

My one fault on Bailey whose having a decent year is that we never, ever beat better teams. Not since he took over.

Well let's see.

Why don't we beat 'better teams' ever? Well Sydney last year, Essendon this year, Fremantle this year (are a better team technically).

And the first two years of Bailey any win we got was against a better team, so there are 7 wins to add to the bank.

This year we just don't seem to have the confidence in our ball movement and structures. Given our inexperience in our backline and we attempt to start a lot of our attacking movements from half back... is it a real surprise we have struggled against experienced forwardlines and midfields?

Oh it's official now? Where was my memo?

No thanks to Craig.

My one fault on Bailey whose having a decent year is that we never, ever beat better teams. Not since he took over.

How is Dean Bailey having a decent year? If awesome was 100% and Decent was 80% I'd be more inclined to give Dean a Meh 55%.

Obviously been watching a different teams.

Well let's see.

Why don't we beat 'better teams' ever? Well Sydney last year, Essendon this year, Fremantle this year (are a better team technically).

And the first two years of Bailey any win we got was against a better team, so there are 7 wins to add to the bank.

This year we just don't seem to have the confidence in our ball movement and structures. Given our inexperience in our backline and we attempt to start a lot of our attacking movements from half back... is it a real surprise we have struggled against experienced forwardlines and midfields?

Puppet the People Pleaser. Seriously dude, your posts are predictable. Do you ever disagree with the Melbourne Football Club?

Hello? Personality, anyone home?

Puppet the People Pleaser. Seriously dude, your posts are predictable. Do you ever disagree with the Melbourne Football Club?

Hello? Personality, anyone home?

Don't be a f**kwit.

There is no need to demand coaches be sacked and players be delisted based on this season. A development season.

I don't disagree with much we have done, but one example is that IMO certain assistant coaches don't cut it. That's one area we can improve, secondly Bailey not focusing on the game plan during the pre season. Whilst individual development is important, I think it has impacted upon our senior players form and obviously how our game plan is implemented in matches.

You think your posts aren't predictable? Not so, I'm afraid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought it had been official a looooong time ago...

haha, how mature from a bloke who is in his 30's, maybe older? you musta had alotta friends as a young fella

dont know quite what all the abuse is about, took is team to 5 straight prelimanary finals, or atleast 5 straight finals series with lists that werent the best in the afl, and even though the players arent responding this year.. every year previously he had been in charge he had got alot out of the players and had got a high ethic..

personal attacks are fine , if they were actually any good.. but what about an actually saying why neil craig would be a bad decision?

Neil craig -
Games Coached 166- 92 wins at 55.4%

Mick Malthouse-
Games Coached 586- 340 wins at 58%

Ross Lyon-
Games Coached 114- 72 wins at 63.2%

Rodney Eade-
Games Coached 312- 169 wins at 54.2%

Alistair Clarkson-
Games Coached 154- 81 wins at 52.6%

Paul Roos-
Games Coached 202- 116 wins at 57.4%

now malthouse clarkson and roos are premiership coaches.. but you tell me why craigs record is so stupid compared to the others? for those of you who cant read his winning record is BETTER than alistair clarkson and rodney eade

people have suggested mick malthouse who is contracted, mark neeld, todd viney and other untried coaches.. but ive made the dumbest call.. staggering.. its proof some people dont read the posts, just the name of the poster and go from there

did anyone hear a caller on sen a few weeks back, claiming he had "inside sources" that mfc will offer bailey a 1 year extension and malthouse would be likely to take over in 2013?

You would think that if Bailey was to be offered a new contract, it would have to be for another 2-3 years. Would everyone be happy with Bailey getting that?

NEIL ****ING CRAIG

forces a high discipline and fitness on his players
absoloute must talk to this guy about next year

As much as you have been beaten down about this suggestion, I actually think it's not as silly as it sounds. When the dust settles, I think Neil Craig will be much sort after. But not as a senior coach. I think we would be silly not to talk to him about an assisstant role at Melbourne.

IMO, we should let go ALL of our assisstant coaches next year. Bailey looks like being our senior coach next season, and I'd probably extend his contract by 1 season with the intent of us reaching finals in 2012, or he will be moved on. But, he needs more experience in the coaches box, and Craig would be invaluable in this role. And if we have another poor year next year, Bailey gets thrown out and we throw the kitchen sink at Roos or Malthouse...

did anyone hear a caller on sen a few weeks back, claiming he had "inside sources" that mfc will offer bailey a 1 year extension and malthouse would be likely to take over in 2013?

You would think that if Bailey was to be offered a new contract, it would have to be for another 2-3 years. Would everyone be happy with Bailey getting that?

This is thew best option IMO.

Bailey gets 1 year to show we can play finals and mix it with the better teams, if not we look at Malthouse.

There is no chance of Bailey coaching next year, this year was NOT about development, this was the year of no excuses, now that Bailey is saying that it's not a failed year because we're developing players = failed year. 2 people could of saved his career, James McDonald and Cam Bruce but he stuffed that up, Bailey is as good as gone.

As for Craig who is a very good Coach that has had a lot of senior players retire from last season, it was always going to be a tough year for the crows and have felt sorry for him most of this year, he is a very smart man and we could use someone like him at Melbourne so it's worth having a look but he is A South Australian legend loves the place, I doubt he'llcome to Victoria to coach again. I also admire the way he retired, saying it was best for the club and team to take another direction, unlike our coach who knows this is a failed year, who has only beaten 2 other Vic clubs in 4 years, and can't even a game at the others stadium across town, is still trying to get another contract because he is in it for himself.

As for other coaches, I doubt we are going to Mick, I don't think Roos will coach again either, Mark Neeld seems the most likely but he is similar to Bailey, didn't have a very long and successful playing career and were both assistants on premiership teams, I would rather have someone who had a long playing career coaching us, looking back at history, a lot of coaches came out of the successful 1980's hawthorn side, and then out of Essendons successful years under Sheedy, now there are a few coaches coming out of that successful Brisbane side that was under Matthews, maybe there is someone from that side that might be s hidden gem, the only other option I can think of is Garry Lyon, I said early on in the year no chance, but he is a smart footy man who is passionate about our club, we have Chris Connolly to help him out, and if we get some experienced people around him, why can't he be the man, only problem is getting him away from his media career, I'm now back in favor of Lyon being our coach, that would bring some excitement to the club.

There is no chance of Bailey coaching next year, this year was NOT about development, this was the year of no excuses, now that Bailey is saying that it's not a failed year because we're developing players = failed year. 2 people could of saved his career, James McDonald and Cam Bruce but he stuffed that up, Bailey is as good as gone.

As for Craig who is a very good Coach that has had a lot of senior players retire from last season, it was always going to be a tough year for the crows and have felt sorry for him most of this year, he is a very smart man and we could use someone like him at Melbourne so it's worth having a look but he is A South Australian legend loves the place, I doubt he'llcome to Victoria to coach again. I also admire the way he retired, saying it was best for the club and team to take another direction, unlike our coach who knows this is a failed year, who has only beaten 2 other Vic clubs in 4 years, and can't even a game at the others stadium across town, is still trying to get another contract because he is in it for himself.

As for other coaches, I doubt we are going to Mick, I don't think Roos will coach again either, Mark Neeld seems the most likely but he is similar to Bailey, didn't have a very long and successful playing career and were both assistants on premiership teams, I would rather have someone who had a long playing career coaching us, looking back at history, a lot of coaches came out of the successful 1980's hawthorn side, and then out of Essendons successful years under Sheedy, now there are a few coaches coming out of that successful Brisbane side that was under Matthews, maybe there is someone from that side that might be s hidden gem, the only other option I can think of is Garry Lyon, I said early on in the year no chance, but he is a smart footy man who is passionate about our club, we have Chris Connolly to help him out, and if we get some experienced people around him, why can't he be the man, only problem is getting him away from his media career, I'm now back in favor of Lyon being our coach, that would bring some excitement to the club.

I love your excitement and passion for a past champion to take over as coach, but let's be realistic. He has been out of the game for nearly 20 years! As much as I love Garry, I think it would be a step backwards. Unless, a Matthews or Roos were happy to play the 'Bomber Thompson' role and be his assisstant. Doubt whether that will happen.

Garry has it too easy in the media, and has said everytime he gets asked, that he is not interested in coaching. Lets give Bailey a 1 year extension and see if he can take us to the finals next year, if not, then we simply have to throw big $$$ towards a proven coach.

It looks as if I've missed some fireworks this morning, a lot of the posts on the last page and a half look totally out of context, but meh.

As for Neil Craig, he can only fill one of the 2 massive flaws Bailey has shown as a coach. He has a good strategic mind and can form gameplans. But the weakness they both share is a tendency to be outcoached tactially on the day. Neither are flexible or creative enough to change it up and come up with a plan B. I'd be happy with Bailey getting a 1 year extension ONLY if there was a big cleanout of the assistants and someone else added to the team who can coach tactically on the day.

my opinion on both of those

its more the fact that we are only beating interstate sides at the G, i dont think you can claim that smashing adelaide, fremantle and brisbane at the G is anything more than job done .. hell we were beating freo and the lions when were bottom! we need more (a) win/s against hawthorn, carlton, nth, WB and stkilda

is he gettin the best out of his players .. you can make an argument for both... id say he is gettin the best out of the juniors, but not out of the seniors.. and the juniors could be argued as natural development

green could play better though granted his age means he is in natural decline

sylvia is no were near the player he could be imo
moloney still is a one trick pony who hasnt been taught to shark the oppo ruck man
rivers still can only play as the 3rd backman
davey still cant break a tag or win his own footy
and all of whom go missing when the heat is really put on

on the flipside credit were credit is due for the development of jamar, frawley, watts, martin, jones, mckenzie, etc

He's gotten more out of Sylvia and Moloney than Danners was able. Rivers plays his role as 3rd back exceptionally well

yeah but his numbers drop away massively without jamar,

and rivers, correct me if im wrong but apart from nick maxwell, how many sides carry a permanent 3rd tall who cant play any other position

and with sylvia, thats good, but last year he was having 30 disposal games and kicking 3-4 goals.. thats the real col sylvia, he is just so much better than a 'consistent performer' , although granted 2 yrs ago we would have take consistency

30 disposals and 3 - 4 goals a few times last year, that's a few more times than he ever did under Danners. Sylvia is FINALLY showing why he was drafted so high

NEIL ****ING CRAIG

forces a high discipline and fitness on his players
absoloute must talk to this guy about next year

Yep and totally wrecks them come end of year......they have so many end of year fade outs due to this high intensity training

Well by taking the hard option, and moving Junior on and sticking firm with Bruce, surely he should be applauded?

The fact is Junior was finished and Bruce hasn't exactly worked out for the Hawks

I mean, Danners did nothing but attempt to secure his job for another contract, picking the same blokes over and over, irrespective of form, letting the new recruits rot. I blame Daniher for Bate and Dunn's lack of development, he held them back too long

And in the end, he left us with an aging over paid list

Bailey has taken a big broom to the club, swept out the deadwood and he should have a chance to see it through

Robbo, White, Yze etc. all thought they had more time in the game, but who picked them up.

As far as I am concerned, Bailey hasn't put a foot wrong, it's just that after so many years without a premiership, supporters are impatient and expect immediate success.

Bringing in Malthouse / Roos etc. will set us back a few years IMO

I would love to see Bails coach next year.

I can understand that you think Bailey should coach next year. I can understand if you'd prefer him to another untried coach. But I can't understand why you'd "love" him to coach. How could Bailey evoke such positive emotion in anybody ?

For me, at best, he's the logical option with no proven premiership coaches being available. But I have concerns over his ability to take this young group forward.

I think it should come down to whether the club has improved under his guidance or not. We can criticise some of his selection or matchday decisions but say if we finish as low as 10th then I believe he's deserving of another year.

This has been an incredibly inconsistent season but I honestly believe fluctuations in form are only natural when it comes to developing teams. It bothers me the unrealistic expectations people place on our club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back