Ok. We had our sook. Now list your final three coaches prefs

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair enough to focus on that, but what about the rest of what I said - hurts doesn't it.

Does it? I reckon it's all excuse making. This year when things have gone pear shaped all we've heard is about how we can't afford this and that... we pay spuds like Shaun Higgins to point and pretend he's a footballer. Let's get to the real problems. The half hearted list , the poor management of the list and the coaches inability to keep up with the times.

Looks to me like the board is addressing it.

What the deluded OP doesn't get, is that Rocket Eade is top of his game, he is respected and known as an innovator. We are not going to attract good coaches to this club after the terrible way we have treated him.

No money = no football department resources
No large following = constant hand to mouth existence, one year we might have money for a list manager, next year we might not
Expectation that we are suddenly back in the top 4, no time allowed (or money) for the development of players.

Finally, I will take all bets, we will appoint Leon Cameron, favourite son, legend of the loser Richmond Club and Legend of the Loser bulldogs - just typical!!!

Eade is at the top of his game......WTF?
Who's deluded now?
Would love for you to microwave your membership if you think we are that bad. Please.

Personal opinion is it was a mistake to get rid of Eade as there is not alot out there in the way of coaches.

Malthouse and Roos will not even happen.

The mention of Williams, Bailey, Laidley and Craig i wouldn't want as they couldn't bring their own teams up the ladder.

Also think we should stay away from our own assistants as if they were worth anything they would have had an influence this year.

My 3 in order would be.

1. Sanderson - has been at geelong since 07 which is when their successful period started, ha been the defensive coach which is one of geelongs best assets, the geelong players wanted him as coach when thompson resigned.

2. Neeld - been at collingwood since 08, worked with the defence in 09 when they had the 2nd best defence in the league, moved to working with the midfield last year and we all know how good collingwoods midfield is.

both above have been involved in a premiership and know the inside workings of the top 2 clubs in the comp.

3. Cameron - has had a good apprentiship with 3 clubs but don't have him in the same league as the above 2. more than likely will be appointed though

I think your on the money with Sanderson and Neeld. Cameron hasn't been away from the club long enough.

For our situation

1. Mick Malthouse - Fresh set of eyes 3 Premierships

2. Leon Cameron - Right age fit knows the players and has Assistant Coaching experience away from the Bulldogs.

3. Nathan Buckley - Right age fit in particular can help our midfielders, if Malthouse is retained as coach of Collingwood it would not surprise me if he left them.

No, he had some absolute champions of the game (Archer, Grant, Harvey, Simpson) who dragged the team to success despite Laidley insisting on playing spuds and blokes out of position.

He'd make a good assistant though.

Thing you guys have to ask yourselves is if you are going to rebuild at some level now: clean out a few of the blokes who've been around for a while and bring in some more kids. There's no doubting you've got some talented kids but need more.

In that regards, there's a lot to be said for going for a young coach: the generational thing.
Mate, Arch, Simpson were at the end, and were there for leadership above anything else. Grant was certainly no champion. Yes, Harvey is a gun. Laidley did wonders with that team in 2007. If you didn’t have to face Port at AAMI then you probably would have been in a GF. It was the spuds who fed off a good coach, who had developed a disciplined syle, rather than a few aging warhorses digging you out of the trenches.

Simon Goodwin
Simon Goodwin
Simon Goodwin
Simon Goodwin
Simon Goodwin
Simon Goodwin
Simon Goodwin
Simon Goodwin
Simon Goodwin
Simon Goodwin
Simon Goodwin
Simon Goodwin
Simon Goodwin
Simon Goodwin
Simon Goodwin
Simon Goodwin
Simon Goodwin
Simon Goodwin
Simon Goodwin
Simon Goodwin
Simon Goodwin
Simon Goodwin
Simon Goodwin
Simon Goodwin
Simon Goodwin
Simon Goodwin
Simon Goodwin
Simon Goodwin
Simon Goodwin
Simon Goodwin
Simon Goodwin
Simon Goodwin

Mate, Arch, Simpson were at the end, and were there for leadership above anything else. Grant was certainly no champion. Yes, Harvey is a gun. Laidley did wonders with that team in 2007. If you didn’t have to face Port at AAMI then you probably would have been in a GF. It was the spuds who fed off a good coach, who had developed a disciplined syle, rather than a few aging warhorses digging you out of the trenches.
Archer and Simpson were still very good players at that time, and I think you are selling Shannon Grant a bit short there. Norm Smith medallist, and was a very good player in his prime, possibly even elite.

Laidley did stuff around North back then. Got a lot out of them, but ultimately stuffed them.

Archer and Simpson were still very good players at that time, and I think you are selling Shannon Grant a bit short there. Norm Smith medallist, and was a very good player in his prime, possibly even elite.

Laidley did stuff around North back then. Got a lot out of them, but ultimately stuffed them.
Archer was shot in his last year. No chopping of the arm rule meandered him off.

Laidley couldn’t have done any more with North.

Very surprised no-one has said Simon Goodwin. Surely he'd be a chance.

If I had to put money on it, I'd back in Cameron. Would love G.Thomas though if we could get him.

Fantasia's mate, he'd have to be a shoo- in woudn't he.

WT?
Grant is 300+ gamer, Norm Smith, B&F and AA. Was an elite player. Is the only one of these candidates that has coached a senior side in his own right for 3 years.

Simon Goodwin
Simon Goodwin
Simon Goodwin
Simon Goodwin
Simon Goodwin
Simon Goodwin
Simon Goodwin
Simon Goodwin
Simon Goodwin
Simon Goodwin
Simon Goodwin
Simon Goodwin
Simon Goodwin
Simon Goodwin
Simon Goodwin
Simon Goodwin
Simon Goodwin
Simon Goodwin
Simon Goodwin
Simon Goodwin
Simon Goodwin
Simon Goodwin
Simon Goodwin
Simon Goodwin
Simon Goodwin
Simon Goodwin
Simon Goodwin
Simon Goodwin
Simon Goodwin
Simon Goodwin
Simon Goodwin
Simon Goodwin

Stop beating around the bush and tell who you want...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven't read through every page but it has to be someone with NO prioir connection to our football club, so definitely no Cameron

If we manage to get Sanderson I will be extremely happy

Laidley can be a great tactician at times. But he's a poor man manager and not great at developing young players.

Port haven't gone great guns since he turned up. I think he'd be great at an established wealthy team where he can just be locked away with the tapes.

My own view, FWIW, is that you guys would be better going for a younger next generation coach.

WT?
Grant is 300+ gamer, Norm Smith, B&F and AA. Was an elite player. Is the only one of these candidates that has coached a senior side in his own right for 3 years.

Bringing Shagga in as an assistant would be a move worth considering too.

Agree with all this, especially the last. What about Simon Goodwin, mentioned before, is he ready to coach?

Suggested this morning, actually. Has he got enough experience?

Sanderson sounds promising. How do guys switch off their former club though? Wouldn't they always be secretly barracking for them and trying to help them? (Paul Roos, looking at you) Or aren't they like us regular supporters? :eek:

No thanks. Enough input thanks.

Fair enough. I will leave by saying that you'll recall our fairly undignified pursuit of Nathan Buckley when Laidley left. Obviously we didn't get him. But as it turns out, I'm more than confident that Scott is the best we could have got (for our situation) among the available field. And Collingwood have ended stuffing up what could well have been a threepeat.

The best coaching option is not always the obvious one.

Why not much interest in Mark Williams? IMO the best available coach out there at the moment. Not particularly likeable if he's your opponent, but a premiership coach and real smart operator.

Doesn't market himself like some of the other coaches, but IMO is the best realistic coach available out there.

Surprised how little support or interest he demands.

1. Aker
2. Aker
3. Aker

Why? Because he knows everything about the club and every reason and problem + has all the answers. :p

Now seriously

1. Brenton Sanderson
2. Mick Malthouse
3. Leon Cameron

I don't want a coach who has had 1 year of experience ala simon Goodwin or Michael Voss. I think a new head coach with years of assistant coach experience would be best. I think it would be great to get Chris Grant back as an assistant.

1. Mark Neeld - Really strong on structures and everyone playing their part. For too long we have relied on a handful of stars to win us games. Look at the pies, yes they have stars but there are a lot of flogs that play like champs, because they follow a strong structure.

2. Cameron - Supposed to be quite good tactically and at managing people.

3. Scott Burns - Some wraps on him, but must admit don't know a lot about him.

Not sure if he'd be a good senior coach or not, but Cameron done wonders for our forward structures.

Frawley also helped our defence a lot though as well, so doesn't necessarily mean you'd be good as senior coach, who has to do undertake so many diverse roles.

In conclusion: We poached Cameron first, so no need to poach him back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back