Summer Olympics 2024 - your highlight - most memorable moment?

Remove this Banner Ad

That's a great choice. I enjoyed Titmus gold being a Tasmanian.

Even the silly moments like the break dancing were enjoyable😂.

I thought the pole vault gold for Kennedy was awesome, the marathon finish today was outstanding , the men's 100m final .

If I had to name one moment I wouldn't I'd name them all (maybe showing my age)

Gold - Saya Sakakibara
Silver - Fox sisters
Bronze - quietly dominating park skateboarding
If someone said to me a few weeks back skateboarding a highlight I would have laughed
But thought the two young Aussies Arisa and Keegan not only did great on the park but carried themselves with maturity and class in the post event

Aussie
1. Saya - such an amazing heart-rending story - and the "just f...ing go" interview was the cherry on top
2. Fox girls - doesn't everyone wish they had daughters like that?! (my daughter is just the best, but she's not a Olympic champion!)
3. Team pursuit - after the disaster of Tokyo, it was beyond awesome to see that win - for me it was 3am sitting up with a shocking case of the flu, but cheering and screaming full on.

All up a personification of why I love sport soooooo much.

Non-Aussie
1. Definitely Leon Marchand - 4 golds under immense pressure. Extraordinary. He will never ever pay for a drink again in his lifetime!
2. Simone Biles all round gold - a superstar blowing the ghosts of Tokyo away
3. Lisa Carrington - 8 golds medals for the NZ GOAT paddler - already a Dame, but might as well rename the Kiw capital city after her.

Hard to split the Fox sisters, particularly Noemi's gold, and Saya's gold. Both had me getting quite emotional.

Jess Hull running second to an all-time great of the track in the 1500 has to be up there.

Shout out to Grace Brown for her gold in the women's road race, that has to be the most dominant of all the gold medal performances. Blew it to pieces.

McEvoy's long-awaited gold or McKeown cementing her greatness in the pool.

Loved what the men's and women's water polo teams brought to the table this Olympics.

In terms of non-Aussie moments, I watched the end to the men's triathlon and women's marathon live and they were both amazing in their own way.

Watching Patty make a shot in the dying seconds to send it to OT in the quarters was pretty cool.

The whole two weeks was a highlight. Amazing performances by Australians and everyone else, huge lively and respectful crowds, iconic scenery, just class all around.

Congrats to all the athletes, staff, organisers, volunteers, and the people of Paris. You put on a show that will be nigh on impossible to top. With us heading to LA and then Brisbane, it won’t be quite the same.

And thanks to all who contributed here, the up to date info and the laughs are now an invaluable part of my Olympic experience.

Ugh, I hate the moments after the closing ceremony.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Australia highlights:

• Mollie O'Callaghan's 200m freestyle win (and thanks to strong relay teams, she's already up to five Gold Medals overall...)
  • Noemie Fox being able to have her own 15 minutes of glory
  • Raygun

Overall highlights:
  • Amazing track finals (1500m men's, both 100m finals and the men's 200m final will live long in the memory, plus both marathons)
  • Further to those results: Letsile Tebogo and Julien Alfred having great meets
  • Leon Marchand doing the 200m fly and breaststroke double just 90 minutes apart

Brisbane will need to pull its finger out because the Paris/LA double is a return to the standard expected of hosts (Tokyo would've been wonderful too had crowds been present). I suspect the upcoming Queensland election and the March 2025 IOC Session will force their hand: shape up or else.

Finding it hard to separate these highlights:

Myriam Fox-Jerusalmi's riverside celebration

Courage of the female Afghan breakdancer

The palpable investment in venues

Ukraine and Australia rising in near unison in the women's high jump

Kyle Chalmers' silver medal in the 100m freestyle

I could go on and on. These Olympics were brilliant. Never seen crowds and crowd engagement to this extent at the Olympics before. Every time I changed to a different sport, packed houses with cheering, chanting and applause. Well done Paris, I miss you already.

Aussie highlights:
  • Saya Sakakabira. It was about 5am in the morning, I was delirious, and this gold medal being the third in 90 minutes was all too much. I was crying. Her brother’s story, her own story, it was just unbelievable that she won gold, and I was left an emotional wreck. Ordinary sporting achievements don’t impact me like the way this one did.

• Cam McEvoy. Who would’ve thought it would be 2024 where he’d get his gold? After individual nightmares in both Rio and Tokyo, I thought he was gone. Only the very brave would have predicted this. Yet he hung in there, moved to a new state, implemented revolutionary training methods, and won gold. The race itself gave me a heart attack, that final lunge to the wall, felt like forever waiting for 1 to appear in his lane.

• Tennis doubles gold, Ebden and Peers. They unassumingly navigated their way through the draw. They were down a set and 4-2 in the gold medal match, and still came back to win. There was one point in the match tie-break which we had no right to win, yet somehow we did, and from that point I knew we would win.

• Women’s water polo. Although we didn’t win gold, beating USA in the semis was as good as. Felt like we were playing catch-up all match, and at 5-2 I thought it was all but over. But they kept fighting back, and to win in the dramatic shoot-out was incredible. The emotions of the players told you everything about how big a win this was. One of the biggest highs I got from the games.
Non Aussie highlights:
  • Opening ceremony. It wasn’t perfect, but it was so memorable. When I reflect on these Olympics down the track, I’ll always remember the opening ceremony. What a brave decision to move it away from the stadium, but I think it well and truly paid off.

• Keely Hodgkinson. Hard to pinpoint just one highlight of the incredible athletes program but I’ve gone with Keely. I’ve been following her career for a while now and to see her finally claim top spot in the 800m was awesome. Still only so young but felt like she had been waiting for so long. A great race, a beautiful reaction, and a memory to last.

• Italy winning gold in women’s volleyball. All the volleyball was a highlight, it’s such an awesome sport and the crowd involvement was off the charts. Both men’s and women’s finals were anticlimactic in terms of contests, but seeing Italy dismantle USA was amazing. It was a flawless performance. Special mention to Brazil for getting bronze, love that whole team.

• Novak Djokovic. He’s been my favourite player for 15+ years. Olympic gold was all that he was missing. Coming off a comprehensive defeat at the hands of Alcaraz just weeks prior. Meets him again in the final and is locked in from point one. His emotion clearly showed how much this meant to him. “The kind of emotions I was going through yesterday when I won that last point, I’ve never felt like that in my entire life”.

Heaps - but favourite result was winning the men's 4000m Team Pursuit. Weren't expected to beat the Italians, Danes, Brits, even Kiwis were more favoured than Oz. But that WR in the 1st Round blew everyone away and said Aussie track cycling is back baby with the win in the gold medal ride off.

Special mention for Jess Hull for having the guts to run the way she did and push the 3 time heavy weight champ all the way to the line.

A university lecturer mocking a working class sport by doing the kangaroo among other antics during her Breakdancing bout was the highlight of my Paris Olympic Games viewing experiences, and go fox sisters!

TV ratings, of four or more million viewers pretty much every night, was also a ripper result!

Highlights
  • Novak Djokovic winning gold, about time and closes the curtain on a wonderful career as the greatest the game has ever seen and will see at least in my lifetime
  • Kaylee McKeown doing the backstroke double back to back Olympics
  • Katie Ledecky winning the 800m, knew she's win the 1500, but always good to see the greatest of all time win their events.
  • Noah Lyles losing the 200m, always good to see.
  • Team Pursuit gold by Australia in the veledrome.
  • Arisa Trew and her win loved both skating finals

Lowlights
  • queries on some athletes obviously
  • Breakdancing, fair dinkum never again please it was awful.
  • The farce with the Jordan Chiles bronze medal fiasco that's still going on for some reason.

Highlights

• Australia's best Olympics away from home with 53 medals (18G, 19S, 16B)
  • Men's Team Pursuit with the 20 year win streak (1984, 2004, 2024)
  • Dominance in the pool and on two wheels
  • Arisa Trew's gold in skateboarding
  • Leon Marchand winning 4 gold medals and lighting up the La Defense Arena
  • Novak Djokovic winning the elusive Olympic Gold at 37
  • The Fox sisters winning 3 gold medals in canoeing
  • Kaylee McKewon winning the 200m and 100' backstroke twice
  • Jess Hull wins silver in the women's 1500m, our first ever middle-distance medalist
  • Nina Kennedy in the Pole Vault
  • NZ's best Olympics

Lowlights
  • Matildas group stage exit
  • Our rowers, equestrian underperformed
  • Breakdancing and RayGun

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Summer Olympics 2024 - your highlight - most memorable moment?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back