Betstar Champions Cup OMFL 2024 Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Rovers are going to challenge it. If it gets upheld you’d hope Rovers don’t go well this weekend against Yarra. Madness. Just cop the week and move on

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
The group can win it with or without Muz, Steve knows this and so does Ben. Madness would be rolling over to softies like yourself. Murray will be lacing up, cases like this get tossed to the curb in 15 minutes.

Mcveigh and murray should both be cleared, fancy missing a finals game from those two incidents
Think the McVeigh one was just a good hard tackle. Sometimes some people get carried away with these ' Rough ' tackles when in fact they are good hard tackles in a what I remember as a good hard tough game. No one was seriously injured umpire right beside incident. If players thought it was ordinary Im sure alot more would have been done in retailiation but couldnt see anything more than a push and walk off.

The arms tucked in, he goes to lay physical pressure of a senior football game final. I also don't think reid should have got 2 weeks last year on Nolan
Brother he hit him in the face at speed with his elbow, all year they’ve been giving 2-3 weeks for similar incidents. Just because it’s a final doesn’t mean they shouldn’t penalise him. I think the tribunal has been rather consistent this year. Enjoy being in the box muzz

The arms tucked in, he goes to lay physical pressure of a senior football game final. I also don't think reid should have got 2 weeks last year on Nolan

Arm tucked in? What vision did you watch? Elbow cocked and went straight for the head.

Hope the tribunal gives him what he deserves, how silly fighting a charge when they’ve basically let him have a chance of playing finals when he should be done for the year.

But you’re right, it’s not AFL, at least not AFLW where a legal bump with no head contact gets you 3 weeks!

Think the McVeigh one was just a good hard tackle. Sometimes some people get carried away with these ' Rough ' tackles when in fact they are good hard tackles in a what I remember as a good hard tough game. No one was seriously injured umpire right beside incident. If players thought it was ordinary Im sure alot more would have been done in retailiation but couldnt see anything more than a push and walk off.

When did the McVeigh tackle occur?

I reckon they're nuts to challenge, originally may have been going to smother the handball but definitely lifted the elbow on contact. Assessed as reckless, medium impact, high contact = 2 weeks down to 1 with early guilty plea. Think it's lucky to be assessed as that really, the classification table been in place for 2 years now and takes a bit of the gut feel out of it and suspensions from years prior to that can't really be used as a reference point. Everyone feels hard done by with MRP, especially this time of the year and with conditioning over years & years of incidents that would've seen no penalty for similar or even much worse bumps.

For grading, the "intentional" part doesn't mean intentionally smashed him in the head, just has to be that he intentionally bumped & then graded from there, which I think can be argued that he did? Intentional/medium impact/high contact = 3 weeks, 2 for early plea. High impact is 4 matches & severe is minimum of 5, direct to tribunal (not saying it's either of those). There's also the consideration for potential to cause injury which is pretty high in this incident too.

The dangerous tackle been pretty consistent across the state for ones like that I think, 3 down to 2 the standard for that.

Rovers playing with fire IMO

So next time in a final mcveigh shouldn't tackle or tackle with no intent so the tackle is broken? You actually have to tackle with vigor in a final.

What has a great game come to? It should never ever be graded. Its a 360 degree contact sport, where the ball can bounce anywhere

how long before its gaelic footy. One of the great things about watching country footy is the physcality still of the game, where the hip and shoulder, shepherd and tackle are alive. Instead all I'm reading on here is wannabes Jonny Ralph's grading a tackle, spare me

It’s so you don’t have a generation of people with brain damage from playing local footy.

But the old it was better in my day is a crock of shit, how many people need to suffer before you accept change?

Its like the old farts at work who never used to wear any breathing protection whilst fighting fires, now a whole generation with cancer but oh, it was better in their day…

In reality the way the modern game is both should have been 3 down to 2. Catta had a dirt nap for abit and should has to be entered into concussion protocols. Muzza tried to remove a kids head, just can't be done anymore.
In a day and age where CTE is becoming a big thing, we have to conced footy of the 90s is well and truly in the past. Head has to be protected or you get a holiday!

In reality the way the modern game is both should have been 3 down to 2. Catta had a dirt nap for abit and should has to be entered into concussion protocols. Muzza tried to remove a kids head, just can't be done anymore.
In a day and age where CTE is becoming a big thing, we have to conced footy of the 90s is well and truly in the past. Head has to be protected or you get a holiday!
He's accepted the week, maybe he might be the one concussed next time

On CPH2021 using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s so you don’t have a generation of people with brain damage from playing local footy.

But the old it was better in my day is a crock of shit, how many people need to suffer before you accept change?

Its like the old farts at work who never used to wear any breathing protection whilst fighting fires, now a whole generation with cancer but oh, it was better in their day…
No one forces anyone to play footy, you enter the field knowing you have the potential to get a head knock. You can get knocked out from a marking contest from a knee, you can get knocked out from a team mate, our game is a collision sport which requires a level of physicality to play and bluff and intimidation, that's part of our game

No one forces anyone to play footy, you enter the field knowing you have the potential to get a head knock. You can get knocked out from a marking contest from a knee, you can get knocked out from a team mate, our game is a collision sport which requires a level of physicality to play and bluff and intimidation, that's part of our game

So there’s no need for the thuggish and deliberate elbows to the head or slamming a players head into the turf as well to add to the risk.

It seems you just want country footy to be played like it was in the 70s and 80s because the AFL has moved on and you want to relive the good old days!

Mate we all love a big bump, tackle or someone going in hard at the footy. Running past and collecting blokes with elbow to the face or pinning both arms and driving heads into the grounds is what we don’t want. You can still be physical and intimidating, just don’t take someones head off after they dispose of it…

Murray elbows Gottschling in the head, concusses him and gets one week down from two.
Gottschling now unavailable until the gf because he has to go into 21 day protocol.
McVeigh tackles Cattapan, concusses him. Gets 2 weeks down from 3. Cattapan free to play this week with no concussion protocol.

A tackle is worse than elbowing someone in the head,
The one with the higher penalty is for the player that is all good to play the next weekend

DOES THIS MAKE SENSE TO EVERYONE!?!

I’m bloody fuming, cycled out to Whorouly and back this afternoon to cool off. Bunch of sore loses across the road. Sam tickled his earlobe, McVeigh could’ve broken someones neck. This will be one of the most satisfying wins in Rovers history, seeing Steve get out coached from the boundary. The game peaked in the 90s, I couldn’t handle the new era, if you sat in the hole while I was leading I’d be through you like a freight train.

Well said.

Murray elbows Gottschling in the head, concusses him and gets one week down from two.
Gottschling now unavailable until the gf because he has to go into 21 day protocol.
McVeigh tackles Cattapan, concusses him. Gets 2 weeks down from 3. Cattapan free to play this week with no concussion protocol.

A tackle is worse than elbowing someone in the head,
The one with the higher penalty is for the player that is all good to play the next weekend

DOES THIS MAKE SENSE TO EVERYONE!?!

I bet both play on the weekend

Makes Murray even luckier

On CPH2021 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Would love to hear someone from the O&M explain their decision.
I’m not totally against the Murray decision personally, but, how does that translate to McVeigh missing two weeks when the bloke he tackled IS FREE TO PLAY THIS WEEK FROM NO INJURY. Free kick at best

Absolutely no duty of care. The system needs to be adjusted so that if you intentionally harm a player causing a concussion injury (as Murray clearly did). You serve also serve the time of the concussion protocols plus your allotted suspension on top of that. A blight on the game that you can drill someone in the head and be back playing before them!

Absolutely no duty of care. The system needs to be adjusted so that if you intentionally harm a player causing a concussion injury (as Murray clearly did). You serve also serve the time of the concussion protocols plus your allotted suspension on top of that. A blight on the game that you can drill someone in the head and be back playing before them!
Issue is they dont Care if its intentional or not.

Remove this Banner Ad

Betstar Champions Cup OMFL 2024 Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back