Once again we have a higher ranked team playing away gf - solution:

Remove this Banner Ad

Unfortunately, there's no easy solution to this.

Holding an event as large as the AFL or NRL Grand Final is such a huge logistical undertaking that the venue has to be decided way in advance, and the way the finals fall add unpredictability. Yes, it does seem absurd and unfair that should there be a Grand Final between the West Coast Eagles and Fremantle Dockers that the match has to be played in Melbourne rather than in Perth, but one cannot hold a Grand Final in Perth at just a week's notice. Substitute the Swans and Giants for the Eagles and Dockers in this equation and moving the GF to Sydney at a week's notice - with the NRL GF played on the Sunday - and you have even more problems.

I agree it would be unfair if Brisbane topped the ladder, Collingwood unconvincingly scraping into 8th in the last round and winning all its finals in big upsets for a 1st vs 8th Grand Final at the MCG, but it would not be viable for the match to played in Brisbane nor a neutral city like Adelaide. Even if the Grand Final was played around different cities in Australia on a rotating basis you could have similar problems if a higher team had to play 'away' to a team from that city.

Much the same thing can happen in America with the NFL Superbowl, which moves around the country to different cities. Say one year it is to be played in Los Angeles but the teams that make it are Philadelphia and New York. It seems ridiculous having a final between two teams from the North East played right across the country in Southern California, especially if the next year's Superbowl is played in New York and features two Californian teams, but that's the way it is. Like with the AFL or NRL Grand Final, one cannot organize a Superbowl at a moment's notice. Well I guess one could try, but it wouldn't go very well.

No, assuming we win our prelim final and if we play Port Adelaide we play a team who forfeit that ranking courtesy of the fact that we beat them in the QF.

If the headf**king you’re copping at the moment was any more lubeless your brain would prolapse.
Must feel good to know you have a home state GF regardless of where you finish.

Well if the GF has to be at the MCG. Then make it a best of 3 contest with top rank team hosting 2 home finals at their ground of choice. Problem solved until the stupid MCG contract expires.
Never going to happen.
Far more likely that the Vic Government pork barrels an extension. As it should.

Unfortunately, there's no easy solution to this.

Holding an event as large as the AFL or NRL Grand Final is such a huge logistical undertaking that the venue has to be decided way in advance.

No it doesn't. If the AFL can organise a Semi Final at short notice they can organise a Grand Final at short notice too.

The South Australian’s on here would be able to answer this question for me, with government funding the semi recent building of the new Adelaide Oval, did they insist that there are no cricket club members into permanent seats in the new stadium?
Because I couldn’t give a toss that the MCG holds 100,000 when 50,000 of those seats that go to the same people every year whether their team is there or not. I cried pitiless tears when MCC members who said they went to 20,30, even 40 grand finals but couldn’t go and see their team play and win in Perth. Each one of those years they went to the Grand Final that their team wasn’t playing in they denied true fans of the experience.
I say move the Grand Final around the country and break the gate keepers hold on the ‘peoples’ game.

What the f*** do I care? 1. I’ll never be able to go to it. 2. If a team is good enough they will win. The postcode doesn’t kick the ball between the goals.
Well, there you go, the concept of home advantage, a universal world wide phenomenon, dismissed with a single paragraph.

Horses mouth.
MCG.games - The 'M' stands for Melbourne btw - cannot be a home game for a team not from Melbourne.

Never will be. This will be a neutral GF.
MCG is Geelongs home way more than the Bulldogs. Geelong gets triple the games at the MCG every season and has for more than 20 years, over the Bulldogs. Geelong get the best of both world.

MCG is Geelongs home way more than the Bulldogs. Geelong gets triple the games at the MCG every season and has for more than 20 years, over the Bulldogs. Geelong get the best of both world.
Irrelevant twaddle.

You are trying to argue against 3 objective facts.

1. We are not an MCG tenant.
2. We are not a Melbourne club.
3. We are forced to play MCG home games against our will. H&A and Finals included.

Well, there you go, the concept of home advantage, a universal world wide phenomenon, dismissed with a single paragraph.

It’s not home advantage, is it.

The game isn’t ticketed that way, as far as I’m aware, and it isn’t our home ground. We are forced to ‘host’ two games a year there but it’s not our home ground. So what is the issue? It’s in the same state as our city, big deal.

Do you think when the time comes for the ball to bounce that max holmes and Travis boak chase the ball, and one of them remembers how many games each of them have played at the venue and suddenly that will determine who wins possession and what they do with it when they dispose of it?

No it doesn't. If the AFL can organise a Semi Final at short notice they can organise a Grand Final at short notice too.

A parade that might shut off part of a central business district etc? All the stuff that goes with the GF itself?

I legit couldn’t care less where the grand final is played: hold it at Manuka for all I care, but I think organising the grand final carries a few more logistical planning challenges than a semi final

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A parade that might shut off part of a central business district etc? All the stuff that goes with the GF itself?

I legit couldn’t care less where the grand final is played: hold it at Manuka for all I care, but I think organising the grand final carries a few more logistical planning challenges than a semi final

A parade is hardly necessary, and definitely should not be considered over fairness of the competition. I mean who really cares about the Grand Final parade.

Irrelevant twaddle.

3. We are forced to play MCG home games against our will. H&A and Finals included.
But you play more games at the MCG (who on average would be lucky to play 2 games there a year) because of your 'forced' home games. It's absolutely an advantage.

It would be nice for the club that finishes first to get it in their home state. I imagine that would be Gabba/SCG/MCG on the east coast. I don't think we are at the point of the secondary stadiums in those states hosting a grand final.

But that will have to wait another 33 years. I doubt the MCC will ever change the contract. The only way would be an extra 20 H&A games per season

But you play more games at the MCG (who on average would be lucky to play 2 games there a year) because of your 'forced' home games. It's absolutely an advantage.

2 games there is an advantage? How much of an advantage is it? For crying out loud how many excuses are people going to make for professional athletes?

I cannot remember a single time when I have watched the Cats go somewhere - like this year, for example when we played in Darwin for the first time and got f**king belted - and excused them for how bad we played. Who cares!!! It’s a patch of turf.

The players don’t look for a teammate, and go to kick it, and think ‘oh hang on, I’ve played two extra games here over the last two seasons to what Isaac Heeney has, I’ll change my mind.’

This isn’t cricketers learning the difference between batting in South Africa and batting in India, it’s footballers who have, for the most part ALL played at ALL the venues

We had two grand finals interstate where both of them were won by Victorian teams. Richmond in 2020 didn't get to play at the MCG, lost the first week of finals, then won every match at different venues. Melbourne in 2021 also didn't get to play at the MCG but they smashed everyone they played against, and I really do think the way Geelong played in 2022 and Collingwood played in 2023 they were gonna win regardless of where the Grand Final was gonna be. However I do think it's fair that all clubs should get more time to play on the ground where the Grand Final is played, and for the most part it's the MCG. Everyone knows it and everyone is aware of it. No use complaining about it.

It would be nice for the club that finishes first to get it in their home state. I imagine that would be Gabba/SCG/MCG on the east coast. I don't think we are at the point of the secondary stadiums in those states hosting a grand final.

But that will have to wait another 33 years. I doubt the MCC will ever change the contract. The only way would be an extra 20 H&A games per season
Logistically it creates massive issues to schedule an event like the GF with only a few weeks notice if they were to announce a venue by end r24.
The only practical solution to the current arrangement is to rotate it and have the venue named at start of the year.

Home ground advantage isnt determined by the actual ground. Its determined by the crowd. The crowd influence umpire decisions, put pressure on opposition and help home teams build momentum.

How have you guys not figured this out yet?

On grand final day crowds are much more neutral at the mcg and even perth teams have loud supporters.

Home ground advantage does not matter on grand final day. On every other day of the year its huge. But not grand final day.

End thread!

Irrelevant twaddle.

I never said you were a full tenant, but play there at least 6 times a year, year in year out. Invaluable experience and the perfect balance. Geelong requested home games at the MCG (I don’t know whether they still do?) Geelong until recently still had their B&F in Melbourne because it knew the figures, it had as many supporters living in Melbourne as in Geelong.
I was reading where Geelong supporters on here on BigFooty thought they had an unfair deal🤦🏻.
I know one of your players who played in all 3 premierships 07-11 (I’m involved in football at AFL Barwon) and said he thought the idea of playing regular finals at Kardinia Park was laughable and said the experience at the MCG was both important for premierships and awesome experiences in themselves.
The money the cats get from and home town advantages at Kardinia Park are easily the best set up in the league. The rest of the competition, especially Marvel tenants are playing with one hand tied behind their backs in comparison. I suppose we are saying, just be grateful you have easily the best advantage in football)

We had two grand finals interstate where both of them were won by Victorian teams. Richmond in 2020 didn't get to play at the MCG, lost the first week of finals, then won every match at different venues. Melbourne in 2021 also didn't get to play at the MCG but they smashed everyone they played against, and I really do think the way Geelong played in 2022 and Collingwood played in 2023 they were gonna win regardless of where the Grand Final was gonna be. However I do think it's fair that all clubs should get more time to play on the ground where the Grand Final is played, and for the most part it's the MCG. Everyone knows it and everyone is aware of it. No use complaining about it.
Stopping Hawthorn and NM playing in Tasmania is an easy tweak.

1. The interstate teams the Hawks play at Launceston can now get an MCG game.
2. NM playing their Hobart games at Docklands means Richmond, Carl, Coll etc don't need to play a home game there and can play those games at the G v interstate sides.

Do these things and clubs get more exposure to the MCG.

Home ground advantage isnt determined by the actual ground. Its determined by the crowd. The crowd influence umpire decisions, put pressure on opposition and help home teams build momentum.

How have you guys not figured this out yet?

On grand final day crowds are much more neutral at the mcg and even perth teams have loud supporters.

Home ground advantage does not matter on grand final day. On every other day of the year its huge. But not grand final day.

End thread!

The 2016 Grand Final at one point it was something like 20 free kicks to 4.

Hannebery said earlier in the year (presumably he could only say this after retiring) that the umpiring was baffling.

Remove this Banner Ad

Once again we have a higher ranked team playing away gf - solution:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back