Once again we have a higher ranked team playing away gf - solution:

Remove this Banner Ad

It would be nice for the club that finishes first to get it in their home state. I imagine that would be Gabba/SCG/MCG on the east coast. I don't think we are at the point of the secondary stadiums in those states hosting a grand final.

But that will have to wait another 33 years. I doubt the MCC will ever change the contract. The only way would be an extra 20 H&A games per season
Victoria and definitely not Melbourne are not on the east coast.

The 2016 Grand Final at one point it was something like 20 free kicks to 4.

Hannebery said earlier in the year (presumably he could only say this after retiring) that the umpiring was baffling.
Yes but thats cos they were playing the dogs. Dogs got ridiculous frees all year plus on that day all the neutrals were going for the dogs for fairy tale reasons. In 2016 on grand final day there was home ground advantage. An exception more than the rule.

Victoria and definitely not Melbourne are not on the east coast.

You know what people mean. When most people say "East Coast of Australia" they mean Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne and some of the smaller cities in between.

When someone says "most people live on the East Coast of Australia" they are including Melbourne in that statement.

Yes but thats cos they were playing the dogs. Dogs got ridiculous frees all year plus on that day all the neutrals were going for the dogs for fairy tale reasons. In 2016 on grand final day there was home ground advantage. An exception more than the rule.

Very rare to find a player come out and say the same thing the fans have been saying since that game

“I've actually watched that game twice, which is unbelievable for me,” Hannebery said.

“I don't care which way you paint it, but some of the direct free kick goals were extraordinary.

“I've slowed it down, in this day and age, now the way the game is umpired - I'm going to say we almost win the game.

“(Late in the third quarter) Dane Rampe got tackled for one second, got a handball away, but he got holding the ball and it ended in a free kick goal. It was unbelievable.

“It’s not that I want to blame the umpires because the Bulldogs, in every final they were unbelievable and looking back, they probably were the best team that year given how well they played in the finals series, they beat the Giants who were red hot in the Prelim.

“So, take nothing away from them. But looking at the game in its entirety, some of those free kick goals, wow.”

Since 1997, no team has received less than 10 free kicks in an AFL Grand Final besides the Swans in 2016.

Home ground advantage isnt determined by the actual ground. Its determined by the crowd. The crowd influence umpire decisions, put pressure on opposition and help home teams build momentum.

How have you guys not figured this out yet?

On grand final day crowds are much more neutral at the mcg and even perth teams have loud supporters.

Home ground advantage does not matter on grand final day. On every other day of the year its huge. But not grand final day.

End thread!
Wow, keep denying, it’s fun to watch you twist in knots trying to argue the unarguable.

Arguing there is no advantage to a Victorian team playing at a Victorian ground with no travel, no hotels, no training at a different venue….. oh dear, what a farcical argument.

But yeah, sure, the only sport in the world that doesn’t have a home advantage in its deciding game. I’ll agree with you just so you don’t have to keep embarrassing yourself.

Wow, keep denying, it’s fun to watch you twist in knots trying to argue the unarguable.

Arguing there is no advantage to a Victorian team playing at a Victorian ground with no travel, no hotels, no training at a different venue….. oh dear, what a farcical argument.

But yeah, sure, the only sport in the world that doesn’t have a home advantage in its deciding game. I’ll agree with you just so you don’t have to keep embarrassing yourself.
Those things are minor. Hotels can be a positive on grand final week anyway cos the team is more bonded and can focus. And not all victorian teams train on the mcg.

Its crowds that matter far more than anything else.

Again, what travel do you think impacts on these guys?

The travel would, for athletes at this level, be the least impactful aspect.

No doubt over the long term it's a factor.

I look at Brisbane tonight, they are a good side and their best is great. But three wins in a row interstate is a big ask.

Hawks came seventh, and had they made GF there'd be two "away" finals at home, including GF.

I love the MCG Grand Final, but rotating it like the Superbowl would be fairer. Won't happen though
Crows did it in 98. They actually played all 4 finals interstate (lost the first).
But yeah, it's rare.

I am 5'9 and find travelling in economy uncomfortable. I can only imagine how umcortable it would be if I was 6'8

If it’s Sydney, it’s what, a one hour flight? I doubt it’s going to determine the result of a grand final.

If it’s Perth, the eagles are the richest club in Australia.

I doubt they’re flying economy. Can’t speak for the Dockers, or the Adelaide clubs, but again, I would think in those circumstances they’re not taking chances.

If it’s Sydney, it’s what, a one hour flight? I doubt it’s going to determine the result of a grand final.

I doubt they’re flying economy. Can’t speak for the Dockers, or the Adelaide clubs, but again, I would think in those circumstances they’re not taking chances.

It isn't just the flight, it is also having to fly up a day or two before, sleep in a hotel rather than your own bed. If Geelong plays in the Grand Final in 2 weeks time they will each be sleeping in their own beds the night before. The Sydney or Port players will not be.

You know what people mean. When most people say "East Coast of Australia" they mean Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne and some of the smaller cities in between.

When someone says "most people live on the East Coast of Australia" they are including Melbourne in that statement.
I get people can’t read maps anymore. Queensland and NSW are east coast, Victoria literally has no east facing coast and zero reference to the Pacific Ocean/warm water that those two states have. Victoria is much more closely related to South Australia and the Southern Ocean and temperate climate rather than the tropical/sub tropical of the whole east coast right down to Eden. The similarity is the time zone and even then because we are so far over in the same time zone sunset/sunrise is quite different.

I get people can’t read maps anymore. Queensland and NSW are east coast, Victoria literally has no east facing coast and zero reference to the Pacific Ocean/warm water that those two states have. Victoria is much more closely related to South Australia and the Southern Ocean and temperate climate rather than the tropical/sub tropical of the whole east coast right down to Eden. The similarity is the time zone and even then because we are so far over in the same time zone sunset/sunrise is quite different.

My Victorian geography is not great but looking at the map I would consider the Mallacoota area to be east coast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Eagles/Dockers could also use the option of chartering their own aircraft. They can depart PER/YPPH at anytime they like and also depart MEL/YMML when they want as well. But aviation, for those in the know, is expensive and chartering an aircraft is very expensive especially aircraft that are 20,000kg or more.

You may be technically correct, the best kind of correct.
But common usage is all the states with nothing further east is east coast. Even ACT is generally considered "east coast" despite having no coast (Jervis Bay is a separate territory, although historically ACT managed).

Not that it really matters. The point of the thread is that Vic, and especially those who play a high number of MCG games, get an advantage in the game that matters most. It may be diluted somewhat because the crowd is largely not made up of club supporters of either side, and the non-Vic sides generally have more scope to make travel a part of their routine, but travel and in most cases ground familiarity advantages are still there.

That can be mitigated somewhat by ensuring all teams play a few games at the venue each year (not going to happen), until the contract can be smashed (even more not going to happen) and something ensuring neutral venues is put in place.

Again, what travel do you think impacts on these guys?

The travel would, for athletes at this level, be the least impactful aspect.

What impacts you more than anything is the occasion and the crowd size especially if its hostile and unfamiliarity of playing in such a venue.

During my school days i got really comfortable giving a oral speech infront of my class of ~20 ppl.

But just froze infront of a assembly of 200+ i tried to speak but nothing would come out 😅

There is a minor advantage when Geelong host an interstate side at the MCG in a grand final. It is nowhere near as pro-Geelong as it is pro-Richmond, Collingwood or Hawthorn when they host one.

MCC members also dilute the crowd discrepancy. Compare the ratio of Geelong and Sydney supporters at the MCG in a grand final (2022) compared to an SCG final (2005). One is a Swans cauldron, one is with the Cats but it isn't like going to GMHBA.

Notably, this would be the first time this century that Geelong would host an interstate side at the G as the lower seeded side. So any perceived "unfair" advantage has been a moot point until potentially next weekend.

You may be technically correct, the best kind of correct.
But common usage is all the states with nothing further east is east coast. Even ACT is generally considered "east coast" despite having no coast (Jervis Bay is a separate territory, although historically ACT managed).

Not that it really matters. The point of the thread is that Vic, and especially those who play a high number of MCG games, get an advantage in the game that matters most. It may be diluted somewhat because the crowd is largely not made up of club supporters of either side, and the non-Vic sides generally have more scope to make travel a part of their routine, but travel and in most cases ground familiarity advantages are still there.

That can be mitigated somewhat by ensuring all teams play a few games at the venue each year (not going to happen), until the contract can be smashed (even more not going to happen) and something ensuring neutral venues is put in place.
It may be something that someone from WA might say? But I have lived both in Qld and Vic and surfed all my life and have never considered Victoria east coast, not even close. We are southern coastal in every sense, geographically, climate, vegetation etc.
Even politically and socially and culturally way different from the east coast states. They don’t even have footy up there until recently in any meaningful way. The Barassi line through the Riverina is real. Different universe up there, we are much close to the southern states than northern ones.

There is a minor advantage when Geelong host an interstate side at the MCG in a grand final.

MCC members dilute the crowd discrepancy. Compare the ratio of Geelong and Sydney supporters at the MCG compared to SCG. One is a Swans cauldron, one is with the Cats but it isn't like going to GMHBA.

Notably, this would be the first time this century that Geelong would host an interstate side at the G as the lower seeded side. So any perceived "unfair" advantage has been a moot point until potentially next weekend.

It has happened quite a few times over the last 20 years though where a higher ranked non-Victorian side had to play a lower ranked Victorian side at the MCG, enough that it is notable.

It may be something that someone from WA might say? But I have lived both in Qld and Vic and surfed all my life and have never considered Victoria east coast, not even close. We are southern coastal in every sense, geographically, climate, vegetation etc.
Even politically and socially and culturally way different from the east coast states. They don’t even have footy up there until recently in any meaningful way. The Barassi line through the Riverina is real. Different universe up there, we are much close to the southern states than northern ones.

The Barassi line was about AFL popularity though, not different flora and fauna.

It has happened quite a few times over the last 20 years though where a higher ranked non-Victorian side had to play a lower ranked Victorian side at the MCG, enough that it is notable.
The poster is specifically talking about Geelong in that post, if you follow the reply chain. I was being specific in my reply.

While I have you, I thought Geelong 2024 were a North Melbourne 2016 clone. :p Your words, mid year.

The poster is specifically talking about Geelong in that post, if you follow the reply chain. I was being specific in my reply.

While I have you, I thought Geelong 2024 were a North Melbourne 2016 clone. :p Your words, mid year.

Possibly, I barely remember what I said yesterday, much less months ago but I may have said something like that.

Geelong does have an advantage though in that almost every trade period you have Geelong Falcon's players who want to be traded back to Geelong, usually at a bit of a discount and that really helps you guys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Once again we have a higher ranked team playing away gf - solution:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back