Once again we have a higher ranked team playing away gf - solution:

Remove this Banner Ad

The home ground advantage at the G doesn’t come from the crowd or sitting on a plane for an hour.

It’s the ground familiarisation that Melb teams are exposed to which is the greatest benefit.

After next week, the Cats will have played at the MCG 7 times this year. Port and Swans, 3 times.

This is repeated every year and obviously more for tenants. This helps those team know how to better structure and cover the ground, understand the size and how to covers zones and down to how the wind affects the ground.

This is where the HGA comes into effect at the MCG. Other clubs don’t get that exposure during the year. We have to fill in those gaps on the fly whereas other teams, Melbourne teams, can go into the game prepared for these impacts.

Greater ground familiarisation will always exists when the gf is at the G and if a Melbourne club is playing. It will always have an element of unevenness until that is removed.

The home ground advantage at the G doesn’t come from the crowd or sitting on a plane for an hour.

It’s the ground familiarisation that Melb teams are exposed to which is the greatest benefit.

After next week, the Cats will have played at the MCG 7 times this year. Port and Swans, 3 times.

This is repeated every year and obviously more for tenants. This helps those team know how to better structure and cover the ground, understand the size and how to covers zones and down to how the wind affects the ground.

This is where the HGA comes into effect at the MCG. Other clubs don’t get that exposure during the year. We have to fill in those gaps on the fly whereas other teams, Melbourne teams, can go into the game prepared for these impacts.

Greater ground familiarisation will always exists when the gf is at the G and if a Melbourne club is playing. It will always have an element of unevenness until that is removed.

I could be wrong but I heard a stat a few months ago that GWS is due to play at more venues this year than Scott Pendlebury has played at during his entire career.

The MCG is a wide ground, one of if not the widest ground in the league....141m wide.

It only helps Geelong if we are hosting interstate teams. Look how many finals we have played against Collingwood, Hawthorn and Richmond since 2007. "Hosting" many of them.

Every trade period? Why don't you run me through each of the previous 20 years and explain each players trade value if they were not Geelong Falcons? Or are you completely talking out of your arse? Many gun Falcons show no interest in Geelong whatsoever and the idea that we pay under fair value for the ones we get is ridiculous.

You might be thinking of a Sydney academy type situation. They don't exist for every club.

Sydney have not really had a top rated academy selection since around 2020.

Geelong have, at first glance Bowes, Bruhn, Cameron, Dangerfield, O.Henry, Rohan, Stanley, Stengle and Tuohy and I think you have one or two players who are requesting a trade to Geelong this year too.

Now some of those are just smart trading, I will give you that, but players like Dangerfield, Cameron, Bruhn all came to Geelong for unders and all came because they wanted to go home back to Geelong. From memory Henry was the same though only from memory.

Sydney have not really had a top rated academy selection since around 2020.

Geelong have, at first glance Bowes, Bruhn, Cameron, Dangerfield, O.Henry, Rohan, Stanley, Stengle and Tuohy and I think you have one or two players who are requesting a trade to Geelong this year too.

Now some of those are just smart trading, I will give you that, but players like Dangerfield, Cameron, Bruhn all came to Geelong for unders and all came because they wanted to go home back to Geelong. From memory Henry was the same though only from memory.
Ah yes - Cameron, Tuohy, Stanley, Stengle and Bowes - famously born in Geelong and played for Falcons. Seriously?

Let's run through your chosen examples of Geelong getting some special cut price deal.

What should Geelong have given up for Dangerfield, a restricted free agent?

What should Geelong have given up for Cameron, a restricted free agent?

What should Geelong have given up for Bruhn?

What should Geelong have given up for Ollie Henry?

What should Geelong have given up for the other ex-Falcons you mentioned?

It isn't just the flight, it is also having to fly up a day or two before, sleep in a hotel rather than your own bed. If Geelong plays in the Grand Final in 2 weeks time they will each be sleeping in their own beds the night before. The Sydney or Port players will not be.
Sleeping in hotels away from home distractions like kids or room mates can actually be a benefit for many players. Plus Geelong players have a 1.5 hour trip on the actual morning of the game while interstate players at the hotel travel for 5 mins. It all nets out to being no actual difference.

Ah yes - Cameron, Tuohy, Stanley, Stengle and Bowes - famously born in Geelong and played for Falcons. Seriously?

Let's run through your chosen examples of Geelong getting some special cut price deal.

What should Geelong have given up for Dangerfield, a restricted free agent?

What should Geelong have given up for Cameron, a restricted free agent?

What should Geelong have given up for Bruhn?

What should Geelong have given up for Ollie Henry?

What should Geelong have given up for the other ex-Falcons you mentioned?

But that is my point, Geelong getting these players cheaply. I am just saying Geelong seems to benefit more than any other team when it comes to these sort of things.

Sleeping in hotels away from home distractions like kids or room mates can actually be a benefit for many players. Plus Geelong players have a 1.5 hour trip on the actual morning of the game while interstate players at the hotel travel for 5 mins. It all nets out to being no actual difference.

Geelong travel in a bus that is likely very comfortable. A bus is usually a lot more comfortable than a plane.

But that is my point, Geelong getting these players cheaply. I am just saying Geelong seems to benefit more than any other team when it comes to these sort of things.
You don't have a point as you are yet to even give any indication of what their "real" value was. You are making things up and even seem to be confessing that this is based on a gut feeling.

It really is a desperate attempt to rationalise a club doing better than others, with equal resources. Being a well run club for so long attracts players regardless of their background, and fair value is negotiated each and every time. Geelong are not a hard or unfair club to deal with, or else deals would not go through.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong have, at first glance Bowes, Bruhn, Cameron, Dangerfield, O.Henry, Rohan, Stanley, Stengle and Tuohy
Bolded a very much a stretch.

Bowes was pushed out of GCS due to salary restraints, toured Haw, Ess and Geelong and chose the latter because he felt we were interested in him as a player (Dangerfield had courted him for a while) and not just P7 - That is his words.

Gary Rohan

It was claimed at the time that Rohan wanted to go home for family reasons, however Rohan suggested in a video on Exclusive Insight on Sunday that Sydney had actually initiated the move.
“It was pretty weird,” Rohan said.

“Obviously nine years there. I felt like pretty much, ‘There’s the door, see you later.’ I’m not sure if it was just because of injuries and everything that was happening, but it was pretty hard at the time.
“What really annoyed me was when the trade and that all happened they came out and said, ‘He wanted to go back for family reasons and that kind of stuff.’
"It really hit me and my wife pretty hard. Obviously they couldn’t say ‘We wanted to trade him’. But that really hurt. Obviously being at the club for nine years.”

Stanley was a South Australian

Stengle was on the scrap heap after a couple indiscretions and joined because we had Eddie Betts as assistant coach, and he convinced the club to give him a shot.

Tuohy was low-balled out of Carlton due to where their list build was.

That is like saying a debate on Sky News would be a neutral venue for Albonese and Dutten.
Mere bellyaching.
You are arguing against objective facts.

Your silence on the academies rebuttal earlier is also noted.

I get people can’t read maps anymore. Queensland and NSW are east coast, Victoria literally has no east facing coast and zero reference to the Pacific Ocean/warm water that those two states have. Victoria is much more closely related to South Australia and the Southern Ocean and temperate climate rather than the tropical/sub tropical of the whole east coast right down to Eden. The similarity is the time zone and even then because we are so far over in the same time zone sunset/sunrise is quite different.
I want to see how far you can take this argument. Don't stop. Die on this hill.

Seriously, how much difference do you think 3 games compared to 7 makes for professional footballers?

Come on mate.

I want to see how far you can take this argument. Don't stop. Die on this hill.
When you are on a forum you are swapping ideas all the time. How could you even debate rationally with someone who thinks Victoria is on the east coast? So if they are like that on a factual level I can’t imagine what they are like on more subjective subject.

Seriously, how much difference do you think 3 games compared to 7 makes for professional footballers?

Come on mate.

Quite a bit of difference. You played what, 9 games at GMBHA this year?

You don’t think that gives you ground familiarity there? It’s only 2 more games than you’ve had at the MCG so it’s reasonable to assume you also get a level of familiarity there.

Not to the same degree but certainly more than those with 3 games.

Plus Geelong players have a 1.5 hour trip on the actual morning of the game while interstate players at the hotel travel for 5 mins. It all nets out to being no actual difference.
And Cats also have a 3 hour return trip for the GF parade on the Friday. I believe some chose to stay in a hotel that night last time rather than go home. It's a disrupted week for both teams.

TIL that Dangerfield - A Free agent - costing a R1 and a R2 and a player. Cameron - another free agent - costing 3 x R1 are "cheap deals" that Geelong get.
At least write up the correct trades for those players

They were absolute bargains for the calibre of players they were.

Remove this Banner Ad

Once again we have a higher ranked team playing away gf - solution:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back