Once again we have a higher ranked team playing away gf - solution:

Remove this Banner Ad

At least write up the correct trades for those players

They were absolute bargains for the calibre of players they were.
They were trades for Free Agents. That's more expensive.

Quite a bit of difference. You played what, 9 games at GMBHA this year?

You don’t think that gives you ground familiarity there? It’s only 2 more games than you’ve had at the MCG so it’s reasonable to assume you also get a level of familiarity there.

Not to the same degree but certainly more than those with 3 games.

To the team we would be taking on at KP, who would have 1 game at best there in a season, sometimes one every two seasons, yeah, it would give us some sort of advantage I guess.

What’s the difference between 7 games there and 3? How much more familiarity in a season do you need at that level? Jesus it’s not a cricket pitch it’s a f**king oval where you kick a ball. What are they looking for land mines on it or something?

Irrelevant twaddle.

You are trying to argue against 3 objective facts.

1. We are not an MCG tenant.
2. We are not a Melbourne club.
3. We are forced to play MCG home games against our will. H&A and Finals included.
if you’re talking facts then you must recognise that no team gets home ground finals. Teams get home state finals. Fact.

TIL that Dangerfield - A Free agent - costing a R1 and a R2 and a player. Cameron - another free agent - costing 3 x R1 are "cheap deals" that Geelong get.
RUNVS is still calculating fair
trade value for those free agents and the many other names he listed, half of whom didn't even have a Geelong Falcon affiliation. I'm surprised he didn't also include Isaac Smith as one supposedly "returning home".

Hell, why not throw Cameron Mooney, Corey Enright, Brad Ottens, Sam Menegola, Jared Rivers, Lachie Henderson, Tim Kelly, Shaun Mannagh and Lawson Humphries in there? None of them first year senior players, who Geelong must have traded in cheap or scooped up through secret Falcons intel at the draft due to being Geelong boys.

Also this was just a rumour I saw on bigfooty once, and probably is not true but I remember seeing a rumour that Geelong has a history of selling cheap property to their players, property below market rates and that is how they suplement their players pay.
Mate you still haven't addressed your first terribly argued unfair advantage to Geelong. Don't be a coward. Why not actually add some substance to each whinge?

Yes, and for the players they were you still got them cheaply.
Describe the fair value, trade wise, for getting those two restricted free agents.

This is the type of ungrounded whinging I didn't expect from you. Substantiate what was fair for each deal you state is unfair. Stanley, Rohan, Bruhn, Henry and a bunch of others you included as "cheap deals due to being Falcons"

trade value for those free agents and the many other names he listed, half of whom didn't even have a Geelong Falcon affiliation. I'm surprised he didn't also include Isaac Smith as one supposedly "returning home".

Hell, why not throw Cameron Mooney, Corey Enright, Brad Ottens, Sam Menegola, Jared Rivers, Lachie Henderson, Tim Kelly, Shaun Mannagh and Lawson Humphries in there? None of them first year senior players, who Geelong must have traded in cheap or scooped up through secret Falcons intel at the draft due to being Geelong boys.
How about we explore Swans trades. No wait that's juvenile. All clubs trade for players.
RUNVS still silent on the fairness of club academies.

Wonder if he thinks playing 9 home games and 13 away games and gather round is fair.

How about we explore Swans trades. No wait that's juvenile. All clubs trade for players.
RUNVS still silent on the fairness of club academies.

Wonder if he thinks playing 9 home games and 13 away games and gather round is fair.

I wasn't silent, I mentioned the last first rounder Sydney got from the Academy was 2020, and we are not getting a first round academy selection in 2024 either, meaning it has been 5 years since the academy system produced a top talent.

I wasn't silent, I mentioned the last first rounder Sydney got from the Academy was 2020, and we are not getting a first round academy selection in 2024 either, meaning it has been 5 years since the academy system produced a top talent.
It's time to address fair value on the trade table for the huge list of players you provided. Or else it's time to concede this theory had no substance and shut the hell up.

No that isn't the unfair part of it. That you have one at all and 14 clubs don't makes it an inequity in your favour.

Swans fans often defend this as 'needing to expand' the game. Yet we can't protect tradition and have the GF where it always has been.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At some point someone somewhere on this forum will actually nut-up and go ‘you know what? All 18 clubs play under the same rules of drafting and recruiting. They all play 23 games a year, in a home and away season. There are some nuances of the draw but they are allowed for, within reason, as best as geography and circumstance allows, and every winner that we have seen as far as memory stretches, has earned it, particularly during the era of drafting and salary caps.’

But no.

Also this was just a rumour I saw on bigfooty once, and probably is not true but I remember seeing a rumour that Geelong has a history of selling cheap property to their players, property below market rates and that is how they suplement their players pay.

We also give them pubs and free cotton on clothes for life.

So you think you paid what Cameron and Dangerfield were both worth on the open market?
You're the one saying that Geelong paid unders for two restricted agents and about 10 other trade ins. All because of the Falcons history and Geelong home town (Ive already pointed out where you were wrong there).

When challenged, you cannot describe fair value for a single one of them. Please simply list the trade value for a handful of them and we can see what sort of deal Geelong got. Cameron, Dangerfield, Stanley, Tuohy, Bruhn and Henry is a decent start.

Instead, you're moving onto a different line of hearsay about property deals.

In other words throwing mud without anything to back it up and just hoping you aren't pushed to elaborate.

Pretty poor form buddy.

Similar to the rumours about Subiaco in the WAFL back here and getting huge ups when subi was THE home of WA footy. Since the AFL moved away from Subi to Optus, Subi habe - unsurprisingly - fallen on harder times.

No that isn't the unfair part of it. That you have one at all and 14 clubs don't makes it an inequity in your favour.

Swans fans often defend this as 'needing to expand' the game. Yet we can't protect tradition and have the GF where it always has been.
If we're proteccting tradition then let's not play finals at venues where they have never* been played.

*-apart from that one time when Geelong lost a home state final at KP after four Victorian teams earned the right to home state finals in week 1 of the finals

Home ground advantage isnt determined by the actual ground. Its determined by the crowd. The crowd influence umpire decisions, put pressure on opposition and help home teams build momentum.

How have you guys not figured this out yet?

On grand final day crowds are much more neutral at the mcg and even perth teams have loud supporters.

Home ground advantage does not matter on grand final day. On every other day of the year its huge. But not grand final day.

End thread!
As someone who follows a non-Victorian team that has played numerous grand finals against Victorian teams, all I can say to your claim of ‘neutral crowds’ is this.

Will Ferrell Lol GIF

I’m sure disadvantages seem insignificant when they don’t affect you.

Like having less home games than every other team, you mean?

*which for the record, doesn’t bother me - it is what it is, and isn’t changing any time soon and doesn’t impact on what happens to our win loss record.

But again, can someone tell me what is the difference between playing at a non-home ground 7 times in a season, and playing there 3 times? How much more familiar are those 4 games going to make someone?

‘Brodie why is it that Stanley can tap it to his midfielders and you can’t?’
‘It’s because he played here four more times this year, Horse.’

Remove this Banner Ad

Once again we have a higher ranked team playing away gf - solution:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back