Once again we have a higher ranked team playing away gf - solution:

Remove this Banner Ad

That is all so wrong. You’ve literally got more than a 50% chance every year of a Victorian club making a GF. We’ve had 3 non Victorian GF. It is absolutely not the fairest place to put the GF at the G each year. The ground should be rotated each year.

Your points are very convoluted, sorry.

If you finish top 2 you get 2 home finals guaranteed.

That should be enough to get you into the GF.

Syd have been in multiple GFs (6) since 2005. So what's the excuse for the rest of the interstate sides?

Last edited:
My point is though that you’re simply going to have an advantage at the MCG. Adelaide were unstoppable at home.
Were they?

They lost 6 games for the H&A season - 3 at home, 3 away. Their losses at home included one to Hawthorn who were 17th at the time, and a 41-point drubbing by Melbourne.

They were a flashy team who was very good when on song, but clearly had a soft underbelly when the pressure went up. Some of their other performances included losing a first quarter 64-0 to North (who narrowly avoided the spoon), nearly losing to 16th-placed Carlton, and giving a 50-point head start to a very average Collingwood team.

Don’t get me wrong, Richmond still clearly had an advantage on the day. But those assuming the Crows would’ve automatically won at another venue are a bit misguided imo. They folded under the pressure which was very obvious.

Now excuse me while I wash my mouth out…

View attachment 2112239
The border is exactly at the geographical divide between the Australian east coast and where it becomes the southern. That’s why it was even put there in the first place. As stated before, Victoria is not on the east coast of Australia, simple geography.

Why are you so obsessed with this?

Syd have been in multiple GFs (6) since 2005. So what's the excuse for the rest of the interstate sides?
2 home finals isn’t the point. We are talking about the GF being played at either the higher placed teams venue or a neutral one.

There’s not many Victorian supporters here thinking the same way as me which really shows the bias. It suits these supporters to have it at the G. You’ll never get a Collingwood fan suggesting we should rotate it.

2 home finals isn’t the point. We are talking about the GF being played at either the higher placed teams venue or a neutral one.

There’s not many Victorian supporters here thinking the same way as me which really shows the bias. It suits these supporters to have it at the G. You’ll never get a Collingwood fan suggesting we should rotate it.

Your comment that I replied to was about making the GF and that there's only been 3 GF's with interstate sides...

If two non-Vic clubs finish 1st & 2nd they'd get 2 home finals and if they win both they face off at a neutral ground.

The problem is there's only 1 interstate side that's been consistent in finishing top of the ladder in the past 20 years.

So, what's the excuse for these other sides not finishing 1st or 2nd?

Someone said that Victoria has east coast which clearly it has not. I schooled a couple yesterday and one today.
Weren’t you still talking about umpiring from a game 8 years ago yesterday? Talk about not letting go!

But when someone says "Eastern Seaboard" or "Eastern States" Victoria is always included in that. It may not be technically true but it is about the overall meaning of these terms rather than the exact technicality of them.

But when someone says "Eastern Seaboard" or "Eastern States" Victoria is always included in that. It may not be technically true but it is about the overall meaning of these terms rather than the exact technicality of them.
Probably correct. Even when they say that they’re trying to lump them all together, but I do get what they’re saying. But to say Victoria is on the east coast is far from correct.

Waiting on your fair value analysis with the 12 names you listed as Geelong getting unders for - due to "Falcons affiliation".

Don't be shy now. You wanted to elaborate on the unfair dealings Geelong consistently has at the draft and trade table.

If you ignore this I'll accept it as retracting your statement.

Also ultimately Victoria, like the rest of us is just a ball of yarn

xunhli89wnw11.jpg

I don’t care where it is. I really don’t. My argument is that the grand final more than the others - prelims, semis, QFs, inherently favours one team over another to any colossal degree.
I don’t have a beef with it being moved

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A GF. Guaranteed Away.

If a Vic team finishes top 2 you get 2 home finals guaranteed.
Guaranteed Home.

Every argument you make for non Vic sides having no disadvantage, simply proves the point when the roles are reversed.

It could be done by working assuming 50 % of gf is not in Melbourne, then averaging out reduction in income, would player want thst.
Also gold coast gws would have to host at Gabba, Accor.
I don't mind if always at mcg, or if other states get 1 each every 20years or so.

That is all so wrong. You’ve literally got more than a 50% chance every year of a Victorian club making a GF. We’ve had 3 non Victorian GF. It is absolutely not the fairest place to put the GF at the G each year. The ground should be rotated each year.

Your points are very convoluted, sorry.
Victorian teams are also highly likely to play other victorian teams resulting in no bias. This all nets out.

And you miss the point that there is less bias in a victorian vs interstate side at the mcg then a home team vs an interstate side at a smaller ground in another state. And the difference is not minor. It can be quite huge. Brisbane vs the Eagles at the GAbba in a grand final provides a bigger advantage to Brisbane than the advantage Melbourne gets playing the eagles at the mcg in a grand final. At the gabba the fans are going to be much more swayed to barracking for the lions than the interstate side and eagles may of played 1 game at best at the gabba all season with a 50 percent chance of not playing their at all.

A GF. Guaranteed Away.

Guaranteed Home.

Every argument you make for non Vic sides having no disadvantage, simply proves the point when the roles are reversed.

and there is plenty of evidence saying the disadvantage is real. I mean how many times have we heard football analysts say "well this is a real 50/50 game but I am going with Team X because they are at home"

A GF. Guaranteed Away.

Guaranteed Home.

This wasn't my argument.

My initial response was to a comment saying there's more than a 50% chance of a Vic side making the GF each year.

Nobody has explained why interstate sides (bar Sydney) are not regularly finishing the season 1st/2nd to prevent this from happening.

This wasn't my argument.

My initial response was to a comment saying there's more than a 50% chance of a Vic side making the GF each year.

Nobody has explained why interstate sides (bar Sydney) are not regularly finishing the season 1st/2nd to prevent this from happening.
That has been explained previously.

In short, the best Vic team will be favourites for at least 19 maybe 20 of their 22 games each year, both genuine home games and being the better team in a neutral game.
The best non Vic team will be favourite for 16 maybe 17 games, genuine home games but far more games where they have to overcome travel.
It’s why the best Vic teams each year will run up 21, 20, 19, 18 win seasons with regularity, whilst the non Vic equivalent rarely do in comparison.

(Same goes in reverse, Vic teams will rack up 2-3-4-5 win seasons far more regularly as well)

You've got to love the people in here saying we have a home ground advantage against Non Victorian sides in finals at the MCG, which is due to us playing more games there than those sides do.

Newsflash, we play more games at the MCG than we'd like to because the AFL has to meet their games per year quota in the contract they signed with the MCC.
This robs us of games at Kardinia Park.

Our game this week against Brisbane will be at a neutral venue.
The grand final will be at a neutral venue.

and there is plenty of evidence saying the disadvantage is real. I mean how many times have we heard football analysts say "well this is a real 50/50 game but I am going with Team X because they are at home"
But grand finals are different due to more neutral supporters and a far greater proportion of interstate supporters travelling.

You can't apply a home and away argument to the grand final. It's objectively not the same.

You've got to love the people in here saying we have a home ground advantage against Non Victorian sides in finals at the MCG, which is due to us playing more games there than those sides do.

Newsflash, we play more games at the MCG than we'd like to because the AFL has to meet their games per year quota in the contract they signed with the MCC.

Nope. These stats are a bit old now but

r225055_1295x864_3-2.png

Presumably the "other home" for Geelong is the MCG and as you can see Geelong win at the MCG almost 20% more than they win "away"

Nope. These stats are a bit old now but

r225055_1295x864_3-2.png

Presumably the "other home" for Geelong is the MCG and as you can see Geelong win at the MCG almost 20% more than they win "away"

Our ‘other home’ isn’t our ‘other home’ though, is it.

It’s an away venue, isn’t it. Every team we play there, it’s their ACTUAL home ground, and it’s NOT our home ground. It’s where we are MADE to play two games a year (I think it was 3 in the past) by the game’s governing body.

They aren’t neutral matches, they are away games. It really hasn’t made much difference: if we played the games we host at KP at the MCG we’d probably win 90 per cent of them anyway. But it’s not a home ground. It’s not hawthorn hosting a team in Tassie because when they host a team in Tassie, the team they host in Tassie isn’t based in Tassie at York Park. When we ‘host’ a team at the MCG, it’s a team who plays there 16 times a year.

Our ‘other home’ isn’t our ‘other home’ though, is it.

It’s an away venue, isn’t it. Every team we play there, it’s their ACTUAL home ground, and it’s NOT our home ground. It’s where we are MADE to play two games a year (I think it was 3 in the past) by the game’s governing body.

They aren’t neutral matches, they are away games. It really hasn’t made much difference: if we played the games we host at KP at the MCG we’d probably win 90 per cent of them anyway. But it’s not a home ground. It’s not hawthorn hosting a team in Tassie because when they host a team in Tassie, the team they host in Tassie isn’t based in Tassie at York Park. When we ‘host’ a team at the MCG, it’s a team who plays there 16 times a year.

"Other Home" makes sense though and arguing otherwise is still quibbling. If Geelong win 20% more games at the MCG than they do away games, and Port for instance lose 5% more games away than home then that really adds up. May not make a difference if the game is an 80 point win, but if it is a close game that definitely makes a difference.

Put it to a poll. Go on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Once again we have a higher ranked team playing away gf - solution:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back