Once again we have a higher ranked team playing away gf - solution:

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Geelong was on par with Richmond those years. Stuffed up 2019.
2019 was the year we could've got them. Still had Tim Kelly (top 5 or so in the Brownlow), Ablett wasn't cooked and was a great small forward, Hawkins was top notch, Rohan had his best season (finally a genuine second target besides Hawkins) and Duncan was one of the best/most damaging ball users in the comp.

Unfortunately the latter 3 all missed the prelim and so we lacked the class and fire-power to put them away when on top in the first half. Missed a bunch of gettable shots too. Bottom 6 was terrible so missing a few hurt us more than other top sides. Henderson at full forward!

A year later we had those 3 players back but no Kelly, Ablett was cooked and Dangerfield
/Selwood not quite as good. Martin was unstoppable too.

2019 was the missed opportunity for sure. That and 2013. Still two great sides in the way though.

2019 was the year we could've got them. Still had Tim Kelly (top 5 or so in the Brownlow), Ablett wasn't cooked and was a great small forward, Hawkins was top notch, Rohan had his best season (finally a genuine second target besides Hawkins) and Duncan was one of the best/most damaging ball users in the comp.

Unfortunately the latter 3 all missed the prelim and so we lacked the class and fire-power to put them away when on top in the first half. Missed a bunch of gettable shots too. Bottom 6 was terrible so missing a few hurt us more than other top sides. Henderson at full forward!

A year later we had those 3 players back but no Kelly, Ablett was cooked and Dangerfield
/Selwood not quite as good. Martin was unstoppable too.

2019 was the missed opportunity for sure. That and 2013. Still two great sides in the way though.
I think 2016 was a missed one as well.

I think 2016 was a missed one as well.

It was missed in that we probably could have fluked one with what was around as far as the other teams went, I agree. As Mr Meow alluded to, our team itself wasn’t all that great from top to bottom but yeah you could probably argue that we could have snuck one if the top dozen players could have carried us a bit further

2014-18 had 5 consecutive grand finals where teams higher ranked played a Victorian team at the MCG. If Geelong were to win, we'd be back in this situation again.
Damn that's a fair whack you're giving Hawthorn and Richmond. Especially given the G is where they play the most.

How many times has it happened with Geelong so far? Spoiler: it's more than 0 but less than 2, and it happened in 1994.

2014-18 had 5 consecutive grand finals where teams higher ranked played a Victorian team at the MCG. If Geelong were to win, we'd be back in this situation again.
Except if Port beat Sydney.
Then it would be 2 Geelong vs 3 Port

Home and away ranking mean nothing when you lose your qualifying final

No
Hosts of the prelims are 1 & 2, nothing else makes logical sense
Have people not realised that week 2, 3 and 4 finals dont take into account H&A ladder position?

The PFs this week we have - 1v2 and 3v5.

It is pretty obvious that the winner of tonights PF will be the highest ranked H&A team to qualify for the GF. But who cares?

There is no logical reason to even refer to who was higher on the ladder between GF opponents when the finals system is fixed brackets that dont take H&A ladder position into account.

Have people not realised that week 2, 3 and 4 finals dont take into account H&A ladder position?

The PFs this week we have - 1v2 and 3v5.

It is pretty obvious that the winner of tonights PF will be the highest ranked H&A team to qualify for the GF. But who cares?

There is no logical reason to even refer to who was higher on the ladder between GF opponents when the finals system is fixed brackets that dont take H&A ladder position into account.
In reality it makes no difference but within this discussion about non Vic teams playing lower ranked Vic team ls in a MCG GF, it is very relevant.

If the AFL suddenly changed to awarding the grand final to the higher ranked team, Geelong v Port would be held at the MCG.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In reality it makes no difference but within this discussion about non Vic teams playing lower ranked Vic team ls in a MCG GF, it is very relevant.

If the AFL suddenly changed to awarding the grand final to the higher ranked team, Geelong v Port would be held at the MCG.
What does higher ranked even mean?

If GWS also beat Sydney in QF, they would assume the minor premier slot in the fixed finals bracket.

Are they ranked 1 in your pretend re-ranking in that instance, as they would host PF1 at their home?

What does higher ranked even mean?

If GWS also beat Sydney in QF, they would assume the minor premier slot in the fixed finals bracket.

Are they ranked 1 in your pretend re-ranking in that instance, as they would host PF1 at their home?
No they would not be ranked 1 because they were ranked lower than the other qualifying final winner.

My system is what the AFL has used for the past decade to decide the "home" team in the grand final.

Take 2018 for example, I'm sure you are familiar with it. West Coast who finished 2nd, won their qualifying final and won PF2, wore their home uniform against Collingwood who finished 3rd, lost their qualifying final but beat the minor premier in PF1

In 2019, Richmond wore the home kit against the team that beat the team in PF1 that beat the minor premier in a qualifying final l

My system is what the AFL has used for the past decade to decide the "home" team in the grand final.
AFL chop n change

Screenshot_20240920_103513_Samsung Internet.jpg

Take 2018 for example, I'm sure you are familiar with it. West Coast who finished 2nd, won their qualifying final and won PF2, wore their home uniform against Collingwood who finished 3rd, lost their qualifying final but beat the minor premier in PF1
In 2018 it was back to ladder ranking.

Screenshot_20240920_103459_Samsung Internet.jpg

So following 2018 advice where AFL refer to H&A ladder position - it would be a Port v Geelong GF, Port the home team as higher ranked H&A team.

AFL chop n change

View attachment 2115457

In 2018 it was back to ladder ranking.

View attachment 2115458

So following 2018 advice where AFL refer to H&A ladder position - it would be a Port v Geelong GF, Port the home team as higher ranked H&A team.
Guess what year was the last to do it the old way.

I'll give you a hint, in 2016 the home team was the winner of PF2

In the end though definitive proof of the AFLs stance was solved when this exact situation came up in last year's AFLW finals.

https://www.afl.com.au/aflw/news/10...-host-aflw-gf-after-league-clarifies-seedings

That confusion was further amplified over the weekend when Adelaide and Melbourne – the AFLW's No.1 and No.2 sides during the home-and-away season – were upset in their qualifying finals against Brisbane and North Melbourne respectively.

But the League has since moved to confirm to clubs that rankings will change depending on finals results, meaning North Melbourne – the highest-placed team already through to a preliminary final – is now seeded No.1 for Grand Final hosting rights.

Last edited:
Guess what year was the last to do it the old way.

I'll give you a hint, in 2016 the home team was the winner of PF2

In the end though definitive proof of the AFLs stance was solved when this exact situation came up in last year's AFLW finals.

https://www.afl.com.au/aflw/news/10...-host-aflw-gf-after-league-clarifies-seedings

That confusion was further amplified over the weekend when Adelaide and Melbourne – the AFLW's No.1 and No.2 sides during the home-and-away season – were upset in their qualifying finals against Brisbane and North Melbourne respectively.

But the League has since moved to confirm to clubs that rankings will change depending on finals results, meaning North Melbourne – the highest-placed team already through to a preliminary final – is now seeded No.1 for Grand Final hosting rights.
In 2016 Sydney were the highest ranked team after H&A.

That is how the AFL do it.

So the winner of tonight's 1st v 2nd clash will be highest ranked entrant into the GF.

In 2016 Sydney were the highest ranked team after H&A.

That is how the AFL do it.

So the winner of tonight's 1st v 2nd clash will be highest ranked entrant into the GF.
A couple of posts ago you were trying to argue that GWS would have been #1 had they beaten the minor premier Sydney.

Well in 2016 GWS did beat the minor premier Sydney and then we're beaten by the Bulldogs but now that doesn't count because you've changed you tune to it being the highest ranked team.

Anyway that article I posted contains definitive proof that you are wrong but by all mean, continue to dig deeper

Yes correct, the hint is in the name it’s the 1st PF tonight.
Oh look a discussion involving Geelong where you are completely and utterly wrong.

The Bulldogs won PF1 in 2016 yet were not the home side in the grand final

Same thing in 2018 and 2019
2017, 2021, 2022 and 2023 the minor premier made the grand final
2020 was 3rd ranked Richmond hosted 4th ranked Geelong

Since 2015, not once has a lower ranked PF1 winner been the "home" team

Oh look a discussion involving Geelong where you are completely and utterly wrong.

The Bulldogs won PF1 in 2016 yet were not the home side in the grand final

Same thing in 2018 and 2019
2017, 2021, 2022 and 2023 the minor premier made the grand final
2020 was 3rd ranked Richmond hosted 4th ranked Geelong

Since 2015, not once has a lower ranked PF1 winner been the "home" team

So are you saying if Sydney lost the QF and would play against Geelong tomorrow that it would be a Sydney home game at the SCG?

And then would also be the home team in the GF?

No if Port win the prelim they are the home team in the GF

Don't know how you could possibly come to that conclusion and has absolutely nothing to do with the current discussion

Read what I’m responding too.

And Mr Meow stop liking stuff you don’t even read just cause somebody is arguing against me. It’s sad, what are you 12?

Remove this Banner Ad

Once again we have a higher ranked team playing away gf - solution:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back