Once again we have a higher ranked team playing away gf - solution:

Remove this Banner Ad

Read what I’m responding too.

And Mr Meow stop liking stuff you don’t even read just cause somebody is arguing against me. It’s sad, what are you 12?
Nothing I have written today would suggest I believe the loser of a qualifying final should host a prelim.

I am at a complete loss at what mental gymnastics to did to get there

Nothing I have written today would suggest I believe the loser of a qualifying final should host a prelim.

I am at a complete loss at what mental gymnastics to did to get there

You said it wasn’t my way. Which means it’s the other way.

Winner of the 1st prelim will be the home team in this years GF, so you agree with that or not?

Read what I’m responding too.

And Mr Meow stop liking stuff you don’t even read just cause somebody is arguing against me. It’s sad, what are you 12?
It's always fun to see you mocked by new people. There must have been over 100 so far.

No need to hide behind the block button when you still read every single word I say and like whoever I am replying to.

The fact that the VFL changed its name to AFL and added interstate teams is the first issue. That will
Never change.

Therefore the second is the amount of teams located in one city. It’s unnatural for a competition to have 10 teams within short drive of each other. This makes it impossible stadium and travel wise.

Those 2 issues and the fact that Melbourne has the perfect and only 100,000 capacity stadium in the country is the complete picture. Unless we start to have neutral GF’s and share it around to smaller stadiums the Melbourne teams will have an advantage

You said it wasn’t my way. Which means it’s the other way.

Winner of the 1st prelim will be the home team in this years GF, so you agree with that or not?
Wow it's impressive to miss the point by that much.

No I don't agree that the winner of PF1 will be home team in the grand final because I've already provided multiple examples where that is not the case.

Since 2016 the home team in the grand final has been the highest ranked winner of the prelims, regardless of which prelim they came from.

That ranking takes into account the first week of the finals as outlined in the AFLs decision 12 months ago concerning the AFLW.

You would have known all of that if you actually read the conversation, rather than insert yourself into the middle trying to point score.

Should be the team that finished higher at the end of the H&A season. The benefits for finishing higher in the H&A season needs to be magnified whenever possible - it's a massive achievement to finish top, and they don't get any extra benefit to the team that finished second.

Should be the team that finished higher at the end of the H&A season. The benefits for finishing higher in the H&A season needs to be magnified whenever possible - it's a massive achievement to finish top, and they don't get any extra benefit to the team that finished second.
If 1 or 2 lose their qualifying final, why should they be ranked higher than a team that won theirs.

Last year in the AFLW, both 1 and 2 lost their first final. The ruling was that 3rd place North was now #1 and 4th placed Brisbane was #2.

Minor premier Adelaide made the prelim against North but would only have hosted the grand final if Brisbane lost to Geelong.

If 1 or 2 lose their qualifying final, why should they be ranked higher than a team that won theirs.

Last year in the AFLW, both 1 and 2 lost their first final. The ruling was that 3rd place North was now #1 and 4th placed Brisbane was #2.

Minor premier Adelaide made the prelim against North but would only have hosted the grand final if Brisbane lost to Geelong.
Because a body of work (24 weeks) should outweigh one game until the big dance.

Finishing top could be because you played average sides twice and the team finishing second played good sides twice.
Can't give to much of an advantage to top spot when the draw is not an equal draw.
You could finish top these days and might only be the 5th best side in it. And still you could win the flag.
Bloody hard to know who the best side is anymore. We keep saying its the flag winner but how do we know?

A couple of posts ago you were trying to argue that GWS would have been #1 had they beaten the minor premier Sydney.
I wasnt arguing, I was simply raising a question.

As the actual AFL finals bracket is designed that if you knock off the minor premier that you just take their position.

Well in 2016 GWS did beat the minor premier Sydney and then we're beaten by the Bulldogs but now that doesn't count because you've changed you tune to it being the highest ranked team.
AFL themselves quoted that in 2016 and 2018 that Sydney and WC were both deemed to be the "home" team in the GF due to being the higher ranked team at the end of H&A.

Anyway that article I posted contains definitive proof that you are wrong but by all mean, continue to dig deeper
The article you posted was for AFLW in 2023, and isnt aligned to how the AFL made decisions in 2018, 2016 or 2015.

In fact that AFL have never ever come out saying that for the men's competition that they create new finals seedings that carry through based on results of week 1 finals.

As I said, the AFL chop n change.

You pretending that they have been consistent for the last 10 years with some re-seeding system is just a fantasy you have created.

Wow it's impressive to miss the point by that much.

No I don't agree that the winner of PF1 will be home team in the grand final because I've already provided multiple examples where that is not the case.

Since 2016 the home team in the grand final has been the highest ranked winner of the prelims, regardless of which prelim they came from.

That ranking takes into account the first week of the finals as outlined in the AFLs decision 12 months ago concerning the AFLW.

You would have known all of that if you actually read the conversation, rather than insert yourself into the middle trying to point score.

Ok so no matter what Geelong don’t get a home final. Both Port and Sydney finished higher in the H&A ladder and are playing in the 1st prelim.

Done, no more whinging.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For my part, the highest ranked team (however you work that out) should host the GF. All the "what about the parade, what about ticketing" stuff is irrelevant. The hosting of every final leading up to it is dynamic. No reason hosting of the GF can't be too.
So, if my side (Geelong) is lucky enough to make it past this weekend, and Sydney make it too, I'd have no problem with Sydney hosting.
It would take the AFL to prioritise fairness over profit though, so it's unlikely to happen.

I wasnt arguing, I was simply raising a question.

As the actual AFL finals bracket is designed that if you knock off the minor premier that you just take their position.

AFL themselves quoted that in 2016 and 2018 that Sydney and WC were both deemed to be the "home" team in the GF due to being the higher ranked team at the end of H&A.

The article you posted was for AFLW in 2023, and isnt aligned to how the AFL made decisions in 2018, 2016 or 2015.

In fact that AFL have never ever come out saying that for the men's competition that they create new finals seedings that carry through based on results of week 1 finals.

As I said, the AFL chop n change.

You pretending that they have been consistent for the last 10 years with some re-seeding system is just a fantasy you have created.
The system is clearly not designed around replacing the minor premier if you beat them. 2016, 2018 and 2019 are evidence of that.

Maybe between 2016 and 2023 the AFL were using a different system, we will never know.
My (and AFLW) system or pure H/A give the same results.
And that's why the AFL have never felt the need to state how they do the men's.
The grand final is always and the G so there's no material difference to who is the home team and simply saying better H/A record covers it.

It was only when 1 and 2 lost in the AFLW that the AFL realised they needed to clarify.
This situation hasnt happened in the AFL since 2016 but will if Geelong and Port win this weekend.

The AFL could ignore their decision of 12 months ago and go with just H/A record. At the end of the day it makes no difference e but also lacks logic

Remove this Banner Ad

Once again we have a higher ranked team playing away gf - solution:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back