Oops Chris

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
People don't know how to handle suggestive comments. Mel automatically got tense. It would've been more powerful if she could've thought of a quip. As far as all the posters who've demonised Chris, aren't able to rationalise what happened and couldn't see the humour? I can't help them.

It's pretty clear that the majority arguing it is inappropriate have acknowledged the incident was on the smaller side of the spectrum. That doesn't mean it's appropriate to humiliate someone on line TV.

And I can't help that section of society that are clearly stuck in the past, and can't acknowledge sexism advances in the work place, let alone on live TV, are extremely inappropriate.

I'm saying it has been overblown. should he have done it no but its hardly a hanging offense
Welcome to 2015. Where social justice warriors in the vocal minority who get offended seem to speak for everyone and make it look like a big deal.

There's no strength in attempting to demonise Chris. While it's understandable to not respect Chris's words. Failing to acknowledge his intent exaggerates the problem.

blackcat Mark Taylor had 50 sexual partners on the 91 Caribbean tour?

Mark Taylor wasn't captain on the 91 Caribbean tour.

Given the amount of female journalists that have said how typical it is of the industry, how upsetting it is and how sick of it they are. And given how many male journalists have backed them up and said they're right, what's your point exactly?

and there are plenty of journalists that have stayed quite. So either they are fine with it, don't care or maybe they are too afraid to say something?

Yeah, people with the same opinions are agreeing with each other and arguing with people that don't. Good talk.

How do you envisage a discussion forum to work?

Do you not think people are adding further information to the discussion as points are raised?

Welcome to 2015. Where social justice warriors in the vocal minority who get offended seem to speak for everyone and make it look like a big deal.
Ah, the false consensus effect. Never fails.

It's quite simple really. It was an interview about cricket and the game that was being played. A cricket question is asked and a cricket response is what should be given. There was no place for flirting or chatting up the interviewer. Most normal humans don't do such things. But really, what do we really expect from a shithouse cricketer who's only drive in life is to party, earn cheap, easy coin, and have sex with countless women?

The question of whether it was right, wrong, or ok is mute because the environment in which the interview was conducted was professional in nature. Chris failed massively in that regard therefore, what happened was wrong. Take the f@#ken flirting off camera Chris you stupid flog.

And people who just refuse to grow up and join the rest of the human race.

Mate, the world isn't black and white. One person might percieve a compliment as just a compliment and someone else may percieve that same as sexual harrassment. Who is right?

and there are plenty of journalists that have stayed quite. So either they are fine with it, don't care or maybe they are too afraid to say something?

Or they think it is not an opportunity for them to grandstand if they are not personally affected. They might support the others completely and not be afraid.

This isn't a new issue limited to Australian cricket or Australia in general. Female sports presenters in the US have been raising these things for a long time.

Or maybe we can discuss what the ones that have spoken have said. Rather than what the ones who haven't said anything might think.

You know. Discuss facts and opinions, rather than speculation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate, the world isn't black and white. One person might percieve a compliment as just a compliment and someone else may percieve that same as sexual harrassment. Who is right?
You have to look at the circumstances.

Is it a polite compliment within the context of the situation? Or is it a creepy, unwelcome compliment outside of the current context and putting the recipient in an awkward and embarrassing situation?

No it isn't black and white. But this situation was pretty awful to watch. He was on it the moment the mic was in front of him and carried it through until the end. Cringe-worthy stuff and she obviously felt it crossed the line.

It's pretty clear that the majority arguing it is inappropriate have acknowledged the incident was on the smaller side of the spectrum. That doesn't mean it's appropriate to humiliate someone on line TV.

And I can't help that section of society that are clearly stuck in the past, and can't acknowledge sexism advances in the work place, let alone on live TV, are extremely inappropriate.
There's been no acknowledgement of the incident being on the small scale.
Gayle wasn't attempting to humiliate McLaughlin.
There was no sexism
The "workplace" I this context, has been used to exaggerate the issue.
Mark Taylor wasn't captain on the 91 Caribbean tour.
No he wasn't. But I recall blackcat saying he mightn't have been captain at the time.

Considering that feeling humiliated is part of the equation, then both. However it is possible for something to be considered sexual harassment based on others feel uncomfortable or humiliated as witnesses to something that might constitute the definition of sexual harassment.

It's almost like Channel 10 are waiting for Mel to next appear on the BBL before letting her speak about the incident. It's not about ratings though, of course.

The 'eye candy' comments are annoying me a bit.

Anyone who watches the BBL or watched the A-League while she was at Fox would know that she's a legitimately good reporter, she knows her stuff and doesn't piss around.
I've never rated her as a journo, awkward as hell, especially hosting. She may know her stuff, but I think she was better off as a roaming sports reporter for Fox Sports.

Chris Gayle. Top bloke.

CX8K8bcUoAAfHTB.jpg:small

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/chris-gayle-exposed-himself-to-me-woman-20160105-glzrkp.html

Its not a workplace. It's a cricket ground. If anything, it's his workplace.

She is doing her job. What gives him the right to publicly hit on her while she is just doing her job. Is that what you mean?
Her job is reporting on cricket. It's her workplace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back