FTA-TV Open Mike - Phil Carman

Remove this Banner Ad

I have seen footage of the WAFL and SANFL in the 70s and IMHO far more superior in terms of skills unlike the VFL where it was full of fat thugs who could play footy.

Twas a different time, no doubt - but don't try and paint a picture that there was no thuggery in the SANFL or WAFL cos that simply isn't true.

All comps were skilfull, the VFL had a harder edge to it because there was a few more $$ and a lot more depth, but each comp had it's own element of hard men and enforcers.

I'll concede the skill levels were on par and that's what made them all very good comps in there own right.

On thuggery, google "Grave Danger" or Dave Granger and see what you find. Port supporters or more likely Glenelg ones will fill you in on the details. Better still I think they're are a few youtube vids showing him at work. Put the two together and you'll get an accurate picture and he was not the Lone Ranger.

If you think Phil Carman learnt the manouvere he pulled on Michael Tuck in the '77 Second Semi in the VFL, I think you are mistaken.

I have seen footage of the WAFL and SANFL in the 70s and IMHO far more superior in terms of skills unlike the VFL where it was full of fat thugs who could play footy.

popcorn.gif

I agree with some before about idiot Sheahan, the Pagan interview was similar, just trying to dig up dirt on the Carey Stevens issue, Caro would do a better job than Mike.

I agree with some before about idiot Sheahan, the Pagan interview was similar, just trying to dig up dirt on the Carey Stevens issue, Caro would do a better job than Mike.

Wait, you don't want somebody who concentrates on off-field issues but Caro would do a better job?

A great unharnessed talent. Carmen could have been an outright star of the VFL as it was then. His 'antics' took away from his class a player.

A great unharnessed talent. Carmen could have been an outright star of the VFL as it was then. His 'antics' took away from his class a player.

This is the point, though. Carman's talents were harnessed, and realised...in the SANFL and briefly in the VFL.

His 'antics' in the VFL is what the V/AFL-centric media, and those too lazy to look beyond this competition, choose to recall and repeat.

The legacy of footballers like Phil Carman are compromised by such a narrow recall, and we're all the poorer for it.

I must admit I was surprised there was no mention of his year at North. They showed some footage of it, but no questions.

I seem to remember he had a pretty handy year for them and might have even played a final or two.

His first game was a best on ground perfromance at CHB where he beat no less than 7 different opponents including Russell Ebert. In his third game he beat Barrie Robran and was selected in the state squad.

I have just found this thread. I don't think that your comment about Carman beating Robran in his third game is correct. North beat Norwood by something like 77 points at Prospect in Carman's first game. Given the margin it is highly unlikely that Carman beat Robran in that game.

I have just found this thread. I don't think that your comment about Carman beating Robran in his third game is correct. North beat Norwood by something like 77 points at Prospect in Carman's first game. Given the margin it is highly unlikely that Carman beat Robran in that game.

I saw the game. So did the state selectors. Carman went straight into the squad after that game.

As the old saying goes "Better to stay silent and be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and completely confirm it" Carman was a goose of Olympic proportions. He readily admits that he used to walk off Victoria Park during training sessions because he considered the solo stuff he had done during the afternoon ( while everyone else was at work ) was sufficient. His coach was Tom Hafey and unsurprisingly he was soon sacked. Well done genius.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back