FTA-TV Open Mike

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah not sure I like the opening show.

Apart from the fact they recently retired, I can't see how you do justice to both players, in a 30 min slot.

I cant see how you do justice to 30 minutes with those two players.

Seriously how many kidney questions can you ask?

What else is there to ask... Did you enjoying being in a cracking team that won flags?

I cant see how you do justice to 30 minutes with those two players.

Seriously how many kidney questions can you ask?

What else is there to ask... Did you enjoying being in a cracking team that won flags?

Can never understand posts like this, with a good interviewer and personable interviewee with that sort of experience there's always a great story or at least something of interest. Same goes in general in everyday life, everyone has got a story worth telling.

Can never understand posts like this, with a good interviewer and personable interviewee with that sort of experience there's always a great story or at least something of interest. Same goes in general in everyday life, everyone has got a story worth telling.
Well we will see but I'm expecting a snooze fest.

From the corresponding Open Mike at the start of last year, ratings dropped by half (60k to 30k).

I'm guessing that was partly do with the interviewees which - as others here already said - was pretty uninspiring (that they were together was perhaps a tacit admission of this).

But I think the problems are broader than that; it wouldn't surprise if 30k was the lowest rating for any Open Mike episode ever. From example in the early weeks of last year it was rating in the 55-75k range.

I just reckon the format has gotten a bit tired, especially as Mike's weaknesses as an interviewer have become more apparent over the years. It probably should've ended last year or perhaps radically changed format.

I just reckon the format has gotten a bit tired, especially as Mike's weaknesses as an interviewer have become more apparent over the years. It probably should've ended last year or perhaps radically changed format.
There is just no point in interviewing players that just retired. Nobody really gaf except the supporters of the club(s) they played for. The players never want to say anything too controversial because they either still have mates playing or don't want to burn any bridges because they're either looking for after footy jobs in clubland or the media if they don't already have them. Mike is way too Victorian centric which will always be his achilles heel and his constant questions about money are just as irrelevant as they are tedious. If Mike can't broaden his horizons they should look at recruiting an interviewer of a similar calibre in the other footy states.

How about having Dennis Cometti do some WA ones for example? In fact, he'd be one of the few qualified to take over from Mike I reckon. His football knowledge is more all encompassing than Mike's VFL centric one I think. Not sure who'd be qualified to do South Australian ones but surely there's someone (except Bruce).

There is just no point in interviewing players that just retired. Nobody really gaf except the supporters of the club(s) they played for. The players never want to say anything too controversial because they either still have mates playing or don't want to burn any bridges because they're either looking for after footy jobs in clubland or the media if they don't already have them. Mike is way too Victorian centric which will always be his achilles heel and his constant questions about money are just as irrelevant as they are tedious. If Mike can't broaden his horizons they should look at recruiting an interviewer of a similar calibre in the other footy states.

How about having Dennis Cometti do some WA ones for example? In fact, he'd be one of the few qualified to take over from Mike I reckon. His football knowledge is more all encompassing than Mike's VFL centric one I think. Not sure who'd be qualified to do South Australian ones but surely there's someone (except Bruce).
I think you need to be retired at least 10 years before going on Open Mike. Not as a rule but as a reason to go back on tv. People have forgotten you , the stories you talk about dont hurt anybody too much and its nice to have a ' thats what he is up to now ' moment instead of a 'oh god Brereton'

I think people are being harsh on Tom Lonergan, I could have listened to the Kidney stuff for the whole 30 minutes. Pretty amazing to think that there wasn’t a radiologist available to read the scan until 6pm and once it was done it came back all clear and Tom just thought he had bruised ribs. If they didn’t keep him overnight in hospital for observations, he would be dead most likely. The $1.6 million, 3year offer from the Bulldogs was also a good piece of info that Mike extracted.

Mackie seemed pretty awkward sitting there and didn’t really have much to add. I bet half way through, the producers would have been thinking we made a mistake inviting him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Open Mike reminds me a lot of the program hosted by former Sydney racecaller John Tapp, called 'John Tapp's Inside Racing' on Sky Racing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Centimeter perfect comment this one

The format is a bit misdirected.

The show cheapened its journalistic integrity by getting Jacko on for the sake of a ratings boost.

The first year Swans player Oliver? was not a bad guest but just didn't quite fit.

Kennett on twice, Ablett at the mid-point of his career, etc.

Mike has an clear bias for Victorian players/clubs and an ignorance of football in other states. Not every player made their way to the VFL back in the old days, a player in that time could have comfortably been one of the top 10 footballers in the country back in their home state.

I see suggestions on this thread with the most random player names, mostly the best players.

But the show needs to stick with the best storytellers over the best players every week, these have always been the best episodes in the show.

I reckon its best to avoid the players who have done the media circuit already/wrote a book although these are naturally the types who are more comfortable in front of the camera.

The format is a bit misdirected.

The show cheapened its journalistic integrity by getting Jacko on for the sake of a ratings boost.

The first year Swans player Oliver? was not a bad guest but just didn't quite fit.

Kennett on twice, Ablett at the mid-point of his career, etc.

Mike has an clear bias for Victorian players/clubs and an ignorance of football in other states. Not every player made their way to the VFL back in the old days, a player in that time could have comfortably been one of the top 10 footballers in the country back in their home state.

I see suggestions on this thread with the most random player names, mostly the best players.

But the show needs to stick with the best storytellers over the best players every week, these have always been the best episodes in the show.

I reckon its best to avoid the players who have done the media circuit already/wrote a book although these are naturally the types who are more comfortable in front of the camera.

You make a good point, the show does not lend itself at all as a suitable medium for footballers or coaches currently in the system. Far better off focusing on guys who've moved on in life and are no longer defined by the sport who can provide a more objective and open view on their experiences. Current players and coaches simply aren't at liberty to disclose the more colourful or controversial stories/issues.

Tom Lonergan and Andrew Mackie are on together for the first episode of the year.

They should ask Mackie how he managed to be a men's AFL player for 15 years with the body of a 12-year-old girl, somehow appearing to avoid the weight room his entire career.

Have to change the name of the show but....I'd suggest 'Cometti confetti'.

Much as I hate to say it, Fevola might be worth looking at. I know he is in the media etc but behind all the schtick is a story worth looking at if he is willing to tell it...Carlton years. 99 goals, the trade to Brisbane after the Street Talk Brownlow fiasco, the gambling etc

Plus the millennium game.

"Andrew did you know you had the worst 'lip to skill' ratio in the league"

Whilst I enjoy this comment there are at least 6 Melbourne players trying to take this title now.

Remove this Banner Ad

FTA-TV Open Mike

Remove this Banner Ad

Back