Opening in New Windows.....

Remove this Banner Ad

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
For some reason my Internet Explorer won't allow things to open in a new window anymore. Things such as profile's on bigfooty which open in a new window, or if you go to www.aap.com.au racing section the articles open in a new smaller window, but at the moment when i click on an article the computer freezes for a couple of seconds then nothing happens.

I have turned off all pop-up blockers as i thought maybe the computer was taking these windows as pop-ups but that hasn't helped.

Anyone got a solution??

I know it's going to be something very simple but i just can't find the option regarding this anywhere.

Holding down the Shift key will open any link in a new window.

The behaviour of what happens when you click a link normally, is usually determined by the author of the web page.

Unlike in Windows Explorer, you cannot change the default behaviour of the link.

It's worth a try to make sure you scan for spyware/adware as that can change your browser behaviour as well.

Pantsless said:
Holding down the Shift key will open any link in a new window.

doing that doesn't work either.

it just does what i was describing before - the computer freezes for 2 to 5 seconds than carries on as if i never click on anything.

Zeke said:
Install Firefox and browse in peace and harmony.
i have both - firefox is ok except a lot of web-sites aren't designed for it and therefore look ordinary - namely www.yahoo.com and www.aap.com.au which i use a lot and this problem i'm having with Internet Explorer only occured when i downloaded and installed firefox.

The problem now is that AAP is designed with all their articles opening in new windows and I.E. won't allow this to happen. Even when i right click on a link and press "open link in new window" the same thing happens - comp. freezes for 2-5 secs then goes back to normal as if i never pressed a thing.

PAFC2004 said:
Exactly.
IE sucks. Firefox is 100 times better. Probably more.
firefox is good but ain't that much better outside of being good for security. In terms of the actual display of web pages it's better in I.E - in about 1% of web-sites the visuals are far superior in I.E. than firefox.

But the security and lack of pop ups in firefox are too good to ignore.

Firefox supports web compliancy, IE doesn't. This means that the sites that don't display in Firefox properly do so because they are designed poorly - the browser is not to blame.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jim Boy said:
OK try the same thing with each of Shdocvw.dll, Msjava.dll, Actxprxy.dll, Oleaut32.dll, Mshtml.dll, Browseui.dll and Shell32.dll replacing the urlmon.dll
yeah mate done all of those and even restarted the computer but alas no luck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opening in New Windows.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back