witsend

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 22, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Lakers
As much as the Cup is the Ultimate Prize in any AFL season, there is a different prize our boys are fighting for on Saturday.
Acknowledgement and respect....
To fail in 2 GFs running would assign us to being remembered as a very, very good side who performed at an elite level for at least 3 seasons,; no mean feat!
But 2 win 2 from 3 would surely give this group the chance to be considered amongst the great teams....
It would mean that we completely dominated in 2007, fell at the final hurdle in 2008 to a hungrier, worthy opponent, and won again against the dominant team with few injury concerns, whilst battling our own problems with form and injury.
To me this would be the most satisfying victory of all.
2007 saw us finally put paid to the, until that time, justifiable Bridesmaids tag we had developed...
A win in 2009 would be one against the odds, backs to the wall, and would surely earn us the respect this group feels it deserves?

Yep if we win it will be 62/69 games won, 2/3 flags & 3 successive seasons of 18+ wins not achieved before. I would be so bloddy proud of our boys if they can do it. :thumbsu::)

A win on Saturday would rank us up with the greatest teams ever. We cant afford to let another Grand Final slip through our fingers.

A win on Saturday would rank us up with the greatest teams ever. We cant afford to let another Grand Final slip through our fingers.
The opposition will have a big say, nothing will slip from our fingers if we do lose it, if we get up it will surely be our best ever GF win

The opposition will have a big say, nothing will slip from our fingers if we do lose it, if we get up it will surely be our best ever GF win

Agreed...but I believe that if we play our bold, brash, attacking style of footy, we can beat them.

If we win, the respect will take care of itself.

As Bomber said, "are we going to win 2 grand finals and get the respect we deserve".

I believe we will.
GO CATS!

To fail in 2 GFs running would assign us to being remembered as a very, very good side who performed at an elite level for at least 3 seasons,; no mean feat!

No this would make us known as the biggest choking team in history who are guaranteed to fail at the big stage.

I hate to be harsh but its true.

No this would make us known as the biggest choking team in history who are guaranteed to fail at the big stage.

I hate to be harsh but its true.

I don't think you can take that title away from us. Everyone already respects geelong, not only do you have quality players, but you are actually a quality team that doesn't need to rely certain individuals. Just focus on what everyone wants you to focus on, which is pantsing those scum st kilda pricks. I think we can all agree they need to be brought down a notch. All the best for Saturday.

The premiership window is open and it will close in the next 12 to 18 months.

This year's Grand Final presents an enormous challenge to the Geelong Football Club. A win on Saturday afternoon will steer the club in the direction of being a GREAT and POWERFUL football club where prospective draftees and employees would love the chance to be employed by the Geelong Football Club.

As a Geelong supporter, I crave for the Geelong FOotball Club to be recognised at the same level as Collingwood, Carlton, Brisbane, Essendon and the West Coast Eagles.

Great AFL clubs seize the opportunity to win a flag when the premiership window is open. The great Carlton sides of the late 70s, 80s and in 1995 seized the chance when their window was open whilst the great Essendon side of 1984-85, 1993 and 2000 grabbed their chance when it was presented to them. The Brisbane Lions achieved greatness in 2001-2003.

The challenge has been presented to the club and greatness is achieved when challenges are conquered.

This year's Grand Final presents an enormous challenge to the Geelong Football Club. A win on Saturday afternoon will steer the club in the direction of being a GREAT and POWERFUL football club where prospective draftees and employees would love the chance to be employed by the Geelong Football Club.

As a Geelong supporter, I crave for the Geelong FOotball Club to be recognised at the same level as Collingwood, Carlton, Brisbane, Essendon and the West Coast Eagles.

Great AFL clubs seize the opportunity to win a flag when the premiership window is open. The great Carlton sides of the late 70s, 80s and in 1995 seized the chance when their window was open whilst the great Essendon side of 1984-85, 1993 and 2000 grabbed their chance when it was presented to them. The Brisbane Lions achieved greatness in 2001-2003.

The challenge has been presented to the club and greatness is achieved when challenges are conquered.

just keep calling sen

we need to focus on one game
where this team stands in the history of the afl is irrelevant as of now

i was speaking to billy on monday
and he said the boys are focused and primed

like never before

watch these boys come out

I must admit i have been feeling a bit this way myself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm feeling pretty inspired right now. Go Cats!

I'll grant youthe bummers and carltank. But what has colonwood done to deserve any recognition and/or respect other than to have a disproporionate amount of criminals and bogan filth within in their ranks?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

They can glady keep them I don't want to associate with such low-life pond scum. I'm happy for them to be attracted to the pies like rats are to the garbage found at your local tip. :thumbsu: :D

I don't agree with this.

St.Kilda have been the season's best team, not Geelong. THEY are the team that can't afford to let another opportunity slip. It will mean they have been a good side since 2004 with no flags to show for it.

If you come runners-up, it wll mean you will have finished exactly where you deserved. Second at the end of the H&A season. And second after the finals. Nothing wrong with that.

Yes, you should have won last year, but what has that got to do with St.Kilda deserving it this year?

You can't say St.Kilda don't deserve it this year, just so geelong can get a chance to win, to make up for stuffing it up the year before. That's not St.Kilda's fault that Geelong lost a game last year that they should have won.

This is a game St.Kilda need to win. Geelong already have a premiership to show for their dominance. Two would be overachieving as it's not realistic to expect a team to win 5 out of 6 knockout finals (which is what is needed to win two flags)

4 out of 6 knockout finals is still sensational, and that results in one flag.

Because of the difficulty of knockout finals, one flag is par over three years for a good team. Remember to win just one premiership you need to win a knockout prelim AND a knckout Grand Final. JUST TO WIN ONE!

You guys want to win. badly. But St.Kilda need to win. They don't have a premiership. Geelong already does.

I'll grant youthe bummers and carltank. But what has colonwood done to deserve any recognition and/or respect other than to have a disproporionate amount of criminals and bogan filth within in their ranks?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

They can glady keep them I don't want to associate with such low-life pond scum. I'm happy for them to be attracted to the pies like rats are to the garbage found at your local tip. :thumbsu: :D

Are you from Corio, Norlane or Whittington? Are you unintelligent? Are you a dead beat who drives around with a flag hanging off their car window? Do you not know how to spell correctly, or are you just a typical GEE-PONG supporter. Collingwood = 14 flags, Geelong = 7. The above mentioned three have been successful, power clubs for 100 years. One flag in three years after a decade wallowing down the bottom of the ladder isn't ...

Are you from Corio, Norlane or Whittington? Are you unintelligent? Are you a dead beat who drives around with a flag hanging off their car window? Do you not know how to spell correctly, or are you just a typical GEE-PONG supporter. Collingwood = 14 flags, Geelong = 7. The above mentioned three have been successful, power clubs for 100 years. One flag in three years after a decade wallowing down the bottom of the ladder isn't ...

Take it easy pieman this is our forum I can say whatever I well damn please about other clubs. :D Only partially facetious though so relax and don't blow a gasket we wouldn't want you suffer from a cardiacarrest like one of your fellow brethren went through agains the Saints. :eek: ;)

oh yer, you've been a model of success over the last 50 yrs:rolleyes:

I don't agree with this.

St.Kilda have been the season's best team, not Geelong. THEY are the team that can't afford to let another opportunity slip. It will mean they have been a good side since 2004 with no flags to show for it.

If you come runners-up, it wll mean you will have finished exactly where you deserved. Second at the end of the H&A season. And second after the finals. Nothing wrong with that.

Yes, you should have won last year, but what has that got to do with St.Kilda deserving it this year?

You can't say St.Kilda don't deserve it this year, just so geelong can get a chance to win, to make up for stuffing it up the year before. That's not St.Kilda's fault that Geelong lost a game last year that they should have won.

This is a game St.Kilda need to win. Geelong already have a premiership to show for their dominance. Two would be overachieving as it's not realistic to expect a team to win 5 out of 6 knockout finals (which is what is needed to win two flags)

4 out of 6 knockout finals is still sensational, and that results in one flag.

Because of the difficulty of knockout finals, one flag is par over three years for a good team. Remember to win just one premiership you need to win a knockout prelim AND a knckout Grand Final. JUST TO WIN ONE!

You guys want to win. badly. But St.Kilda need to win. They don't have a premiership. Geelong already does.
Mate, you need to give it up. How many times are you going to post this dribble? Your theory works well when your talking about things that are truly 50-50 chances (loke tossing a coin). We all no that is not the case in footy. So please stop posting this crap.

Mate, you need to give it up. How many times are you going to post this dribble? Your theory works well when your talking about things that are truly 50-50 chances (loke tossing a coin). We all no that is not the case in footy. So please stop posting this crap.

Its not exactly like tossing a coin, obviously. Duh! I realise that, as if you didn't know.

But playing knockout games against other top-4 teams are difficult assigments. In 2007, you were a better team than Collingwood. Yet, with the momentum and confidence they had, it made the 2007 pelim a genuine 50-50 game.

And over a 3 year period, you will be faced a with a couple of knockout games like that, that are genuine "could go either way" games. Last years grand Final, this weeks Grand Final, the 2007 Prelim. Even the 2008 Prelim was not a convincing win, and if the Doggies had taken their chances, they may have won, who knows.

If St.Kilda win this week, you can't really say, "Oh damn Geelong missed an opportunity to win a flag, but didn't" when you lose to a team that goes 23-2 and is one of the best teams ever.

So why is this not a 50/50 chance? I think Geelong supporters are 85% concentrated in regional Geelong and stretching to the SA border. It forms a separatist enclave, wherein the Geelong Addy reigns. Geelong apparently are 'angry' 'hungry' and out for 'redemption'. Geelong fans seem to almost assume a sense of entitlement to this flag. It's drivel.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opportunity for Respect.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back