No Oppo Supporters OPPOSITION OBSERVATION XL

Remove this Banner Ad

Norf giving corpse of Jack darling 3 years 🤣

He’s been cooked since 2015

Yep … zero, and I mean zero sympathy for the Roos and their on-going issues - who can possibly sign off on paying Jack Darling $1.2m over 2 x seasons? It’s beyond belief. Staggering decision making that makes no sense on any level.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Fun fact: Last time the cats finished bottom 4?

That’s because they play home games at a bowling alley shaped ground completely foreign to every other team. They train on the ground and play 8-9 games there every season, so of course it locks in a guaranteed 5-6 x wins per season and that’s the major reason why they haven’t finished bottom 4 since 1986.

Who is next lowest for bottom-4 finishes? That’ll tell you all you need to know.

Cats have a home record of 67.76% wins and 122%. (44.65 & 96% away)

Richmond’s MCG record 55.15% and 102%. (43.95 & 93% away)

Even Eagles, where teams have to fly across the country have a home record worse than Geelong’s at 66.31% and 120%.

Or Adelaide 63.03% and 121%.

Or Port 63.96% and 116%.

So Geelong across their history have a greater home ground advantage than interstate teams. AND in addition to 8-9 Geelong games, they get 8-9 at the neutral MCG or Marvel.

Pies winning rate at Vic Park was 74.8% and 132%. Imagine they played 8-9 games there and 8-9 at the MCG or Marvel every year?!?? You reckon they’d finish bottom 4… ever?

Bombers winning rate at Windy Hill was 67% and 122%…

Carlton’s at Princes Park was 70.74% ….

Even the Saints at Moorabbin were 53.15% with 107%.

It’s a massive advantage playing on your own niche ground where you train and other teams rarely play there, especially when you don’t have to deal with 10 x genuine away games as non-Vic teams do.

Cats are a fantastic team, but it’s honestly not hard to work out why they never finish bottom-4 given they are the only Vic team to have retained their boutique ground.

That’s because they play home games at a bowling alley shaped ground completely foreign to every other team. They train on the ground and play 8-9 games there every season, so of course it locks in a guaranteed 5-6 x wins per season and that’s the major reason why they haven’t finished bottom 4 since 1986.

Who is next lowest for bottom-4 finishes? That’ll tell you all you need to know.

Cats have a home record of 67.76% wins and 122%. (44.65 & 96% away)

Richmond’s MCG record 55.15% and 102%. (43.95 & 93% away)

Even Eagles, where teams have to fly across the country have a home record worse than Geelong’s at 66.31% and 120%.

Or Adelaide 63.03% and 121%.

Or Port 63.96% and 116%.

So Geelong across their history have a greater home ground advantage than interstate teams. AND in addition to 8-9 Geelong games, they get 8-9 at the neutral MCG or Marvel.

Pies winning rate at Vic Park was 74.8% and 132%. Imagine they played 8-9 games there and 8-9 at the MCG or Marvel every year?!?? You reckon they’d finish bottom 4… ever?

Bombers winning rate at Windy Hill was 67% and 122%…

Carlton’s at Princes Park was 70.74% ….

Even the Saints at Moorabbin were 53.15% with 107%.

It’s a massive advantage playing on your own niche ground where you train and other teams rarely play there, especially when you don’t have to deal with 10 x genuine away games as non-Vic teams do.

Cats are a fantastic team, but it’s honestly not hard to work out why they never finish bottom-4 given they are the only Vic team to have retained their boutique ground.

Absolutely spot on. I worked out before their advantages are adding around 1.5-2 wins per season to their bottom line. You take that amount of wins off them every season and lo and behold, they look like any other half decent Victorian team this century. Their "amazing" run of "contending" basically started through the period most Vic teams were migrated away from their historic unique home venues, and ramped right up once the process was complete.

In modern footy it isn't just the wins they are having on that ludicrous ground, it is the ease with which they can rely on winning most of those games that means they can put more effort into fewer games elsewhere, making it in turn easier for them to compete in neutral and away games.

This is before we consider the whole sorry conflict of interest saga where first their coaches best mate, then the coaches twin brother no less were in charge of the rules of the game, and MRO decisions, and scheduling, and had access to every club's TPP and so on, and they got end of rd 1 pick as compensation for Motlop. That went on for 5-6 years and the Cats have derived huge unfair advantages from that disgraceful series of events.

So when people say they are a great and well run club etc, this has only ever looked the case in my lifetime when there were substantial advantages other clubs did not have. Father-sons, home ground privileges, people changing the rules of the whole sport in their favour, and exclusive access to otherwise secret TPP information, not to mention scheduling benefits. Give any other club that raft of advantages and they would look amazing as well.

Contrast that with Richmond, a superbly run club, having little to no home ground advantage over all but a few interstate opponents each year, and pushing into strong umpiring headwinds year after year. Over the last 8 years Richmond has somehow magiically finished with the worst free kick differential 3 times more often than the other 17 clubs put together, not to mention the laughably random triangulation-gate, and the unprecedented but very revealing 3(Richmond) players in one match penalised by Hocking all 3 decisions found to be wrong by the Tribunal.

The AFL needs to sort Geelong's advantages out and level the playing field. We don't want those boring campaigners clogging up the finals every year.

Last edited:
That’s because they play home games at a bowling alley shaped ground completely foreign to every other team. They train on the ground
This bit is massive.

Richmond (and 16 other teams) get about 30 hours of time per season on their home deck, 90% of which is in combat. No real chance to develop strategies or condition themselves to the dimensions, nuances etc.

Geelong have virtually unlimited access to their home ground and spend over 200 hours on it’s surface, 90% of which is non-combat conditioning and strategising.

Quality article, doesn’t flatter us though
That is a good look at things, very insightful. I notice that the Cats transition defence is mentioned here, I wonder how much of this is due to their home ground. I notice that the average score is higher for the MCG, SCG, Docklands and the Gabba over their history, with the relative new grounds of Adelaide Oval and Perth Stadium being lower, probably due to the lower average scores of recent times.

That is a good look at things, very insightful. I notice that the Cats transition defence is mentioned here, I wonder how much of this is due to their home ground. I notice that the average score is higher for the MCG, SCG, Docklands and the Gabba over their history, with the relative new grounds of Adelaide Oval and Perth Stadium being lower, probably due to the lower average scores of recent times.
jesus just give us pick 1 next year now.

Remove this Banner Ad

No Oppo Supporters OPPOSITION OBSERVATION XL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back