No Oppo Supporters OPPOSITION OBSERVATION XXXIX

Remove this Banner Ad

Saints supporters already talking up getting band-1 compo for Battle, and how they will
get Jagga Smith with one of their picks.

With the rise in salary cap band-1 is gonna need an offer of $900k+ over 6-years or so isn’t it?

He’s an UFA so Saints can’t force up the price by threatening to match, and can’t match to then force a trade.

If Hawks pay $900k+ to Josh Battle… who is a very good player, but certainly not a star, then more fool them. I just can’t see him activating band-1 compo. Would make a mockery if it did.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Battle is having his highest rating year by miles, as far as I can see, based mainly on higher uncontested possessions and the concomitant rise in disposal efficiency and an extra spoil per game, plus modest increases in a few other areas. He is only 194cm so not big for a key defender. The Hawks really need a quality key defender and he is obviously the best mature one available. But if you start handing out near million dollar salaries to the Josh Battles of the world you are going to run out of marquee contracts pretty rapidly. You have to ask yourself, is this guy going to be in the best 5-6 players in a top 4 team? But let's say he gets a long term $900k contract. And also let's say the other 4 best players in the team have similar contracts. You've got $11.5m to go around between the 40 odd other players. Average of all those contracts becomes $285-290k. All I can say is I am glad Ben Miller is going at least as well as Battle and is probably on $350k until the end of 2026, I am sure they will bump him if he carries on playing as we have now come to expect.

What's Battle worth for his main contract? I would have thought 4-5 years at $750k would just about max it. To have a top 4 style defence you really need at least 2 guys as good as him. If you start paying both of those $900k you are in Melbourne terrain with May and Lever. And what the Dees have found is once you have paid Gawn, Petracca and Oliver, there are no big salaries left for key forwards. Or Luke Jackson. These are the sort of reasons your best 2 key defenders need to only take about $1.5m out of the cap. And if you pay Battle $900k and you are never going to have a high quality defence unless you have another guy at least as good, the other bloke is on $600k. The Hawks may heavily front end his contract is the only thing. Sign him on a 4 year $900k deal then later extend 2 further years at $450k. This gets Battle onto their books at an average salary of $750k, gets Saints a band 1 compensation, and means this deal won't cause Hawks salary cap issues as by the time they are having trouble fitting all their players under the cap, Battle will be reverting to $450k.

The issue for the Saints is they would need to find a replacement for Battle like a Sam Collins playing at a lower grade, and they would need to do that quickly, or they will be facing another few years of irrelevance at least.

Saints supporters already talking up getting band-1 compo for Battle, and how they will
get Jagga Smith with one of their picks.

With the rise in salary cap band-1 is gonna need an offer of $900k+ over 6-years or so isn’t it?

He’s an UFA so Saints can’t force up the price by threatening to match, and can’t match to then force a trade.

If Hawks pay $900k+ to Josh Battle… who is a very good player, but certainly not a star, then more fool them. I just can’t see him activating band-1 compo. Would make a mockery if it did.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Josh Battler

As much as I like to see Carlton fail, it's a bit early to be dancing on Carltons grave. They should still make finals and are still a good chance to finish top 4 with their run home.
I'm a week by week campaigner.

Is it just me the quality of football this year is rubbish. I reckon anyone on there day could beat the top 8 from the bottom half.
Our 19 reserves side would be 2 games clear on top this year in the seniors.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love the Bont. Favourite non tiger by a mile.

Not arrogant, never show boats, humble, classy, smart, speaks well.
Bloody champion. Wish he was a tiger - even though I know he is a tigers fan.
fb_img_1720704078976-jpg.2045881

They are playing Gold Coast who are the home ground bullys this season. They are very good at playing their home ground, but are very poor away from it.
Both clubs downhill skiers at home

Remove this Banner Ad

No Oppo Supporters OPPOSITION OBSERVATION XXXIX

Remove this Banner Ad

Back