No Oppo Supporters OPPOSITION OBSERVATION XXXV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Losing a gun of the future in Rankine and then gaining Heppell?????

Winning games this year must have had them missing the old days.

As for the report that he has swayed towards staying with an improved offer I ask this:

Why would he be interested in re-signing with Essendon when he doesnt know who the new coach is.

These experienced coaches like to clear dead wood where they see it.

If he was changing his mind about staying then it suggests that he knows who the new coach is and he is in that coachs plans

They know they will sign up Hird after they have pretended to canvas other coaches.
You would have to be mad to give Heppell any sort of contract. Guys like Heppell, Stringer & Co. are not going to take them to a flag, so may as well let most of those guys go.
The bummers are a complete rabble on and off the field. Your comment about why he would think about re-signing when you don't know who the new coach is going to be is spot on. Could well be Hird (gee I hope so), so why would you want to play under the complete flog that helped put your club in the wilderness. I see an article yesterday quoting Danny Corcoran where he said that appointing Hird would unite the different factions at Essendon. Wasn't Corcoran one of the goombahs by his side when the sh..t went down. Hird oversaw the darkest days in AFL history, ruined careers, and is once again being spoken about by the media as some sort of messiah. And has never taken any responsibility for his actions. What a joke. Take a look on the bummers board and no-one wants Hird anywhere near the place. The whole Hird thing is just an example of the leaders of the AFL being a boys club. If they were fair dinkum he would have been banned for life from anything to do with the AFL. But alas, get's a sanctioned part-time gig at GWS.
As long as blokes like Sheedy are allowed to walk the halls of that club, you wouldn't want to be a part of it. I am so glad he never ventured back to our club. No hope of stability while that tosser is around. Long may they wander in the darkness.

Last edited:
You would have to be mad to give Heppell any sort of contract. Guys like Heppell, Stringer & Co. are not going to take them to a flag, so may as well let most of those guys go.
The bummers are a complete rabble on and off the field. Your comment about why he would think about re-signing when you don't know who the new coach is going to be is spot on. Could well be Hird (gee I hope so), so why would you want to play under the complete flog that helped put your club in the wilderness. I see an article yesterday quoting Danny Corcoran where he said that appointing Hird would unite the different factions at Essendon. Wasn't Corcoran one of the goombahs by his side when the sh..t went down. Hird oversaw the darkest days in AFL history, ruined careers, and is once again being spoken about by the media as some sort of messiah. What a joke. Take a look on the bummers board and no-one wants Hird anywhere near the place. The whole Hird thing is just an example of the leaders of the AFL being a boys club. If they were fair dinkum he would have been banned for life from anything to do with the AFL. But alas, get's a sanctioned part-time gig at GWS.
As long as blokes like Sheedy are allowed to walk the halls of that club, you wouldn't want to be a part of it. I am so glad he never ventured back to our club. No hope of stability while that tosser is around. Long may they wander in the darkness.

On Hird -- spot on. I don't know why any sane person thinks he has the ability to turn things around. He clearly won't resolve their issues at board or admin level, but I suspect that might be part of the point. I reckon the powers that be at Essendon are desperate to hang on to their positions. They're more than happy to appoint Hird if it means they can be seen to be "doing something" whilst not jeopardizing their own situations.

On Sheedy -- also spot on. He did get back to Richmond for a few years but I never thought his heart was really in it. I suspect it's because the position he had at Tigerland didn't give him enough power. He likes to be in charge, that bloke, and one of my observations is that you NEVER want to give too much power to the guy who WANTS to be in charge. Sheedy has achieved a lot, but I don't think I would want him anywhere near a position where he can influence the running of an entire footy club.

Have to say Hird is one I wouldn’t mind being boo’d out of the game. I hope if they do appoint him opposition fans give him hell whenever he’s on the screen. The flog shouldn’t be anywhere near AFL football. The best thing for Hird was to just leave the AFL world and quietly go about his life.

The only thing essendon did wrong was fail to win a flag. geelong got away with doing exactly what the dons did, but they won flags and we all know the afl is too corrupt/weak as piss to go back and take flags off a team.

This is how the essendon board and hird especially think.

Phuc them and carlton too...my dream is to hit 17 premierships before either of them do

The only thing essendon did wrong was fail to win a flag. geelong got away with doing exactly what the dons did, but they won flags and we all know the afl is too corrupt/weak as piss to go back and take flags off a team.

This is how the essendon board and hird especially think.

Phuc them and carlton too...my dream is to hit 17 premierships before either of them do
we would prob already be on 18 flags if we entered the comp when they did

those early pre 1960s flags are shite anyway especially the challenge system ones

imagine hanging your hat on flags you werent alive for and the one they got cos richmond boycotted the granny cos of the scumps lol

we would prob already be on 18 flags if we entered the comp when they did

those early pre 1960s flags are shite anyway especially the challenge system ones

imagine hanging your hat on flags you werent alive for and the one they got cos richmond boycotted the granny cos of the scumps lol
“Richmond boycotted the granny cos of the scumps”
Can you translate please for those of us born after 1970?

“Richmond boycotted the granny cos of the scumps”
Can you translate please for those of us born after 1970?
I’ve only heard the story in passing, but apparently somewhere between 1920 and 1940 Richmond weren’t happy with one or two of the umpires, so when it was announced they were umpiring the granny, Richmond boycotted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve only heard the story in passing, but apparently somewhere between 1920 and 1940 Richmond weren’t happy with one or two of the umpires, so when it was announced they were umpiring the granny, Richmond boycotted.
1904 VFA season. According to the wikipedia article we accused norf of having boots with iron spikes in the semi final we lost and the umpire refused to check them during the game when informed.

As a result we threatened to boycott the challenge final if that same ump was involved and went through with it when they refused to change umps for the game, giving norf the premiership by default

1904 VFA season. According to the wikipedia article we accused norf of having boots with iron spikes in the semi final we lost and the umpire refused to check them during the game when informed.

As a result we threatened to boycott the challenge final if that same ump was involved and went through with it when they refused to change umps for the game, giving norf the premiership by default
Thanks for clarifying, I appreciate it.

That’s such a cool story. :)

If the bummers are lucky they are at the "appoint plough for 5 years with promise not to sack him" stage. Alternatively they may be at the "no one will put their hand up so appoint danny frawley" stage.

Their supporter base still bleating like entitled brats so another two decades of pain would be nice.

And Dilldoro remains, he must have some unbelievable dirt about the comings and goings of that club.
I cannot believe that man keeps surviving. They haven’t gotten anywhere in years and they keep drafting duds. How does he still have a job?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back