Optus is the ars*hole of ISP's

Remove this Banner Ad

Good interview with the CEO on ABC.

"How can customers see the messaging on your website and app when they don't have internet?"

"Well, there are other organisations out there that provide WiFi..."

images

You expect them to admit it now?

In IT a problem doesnt last this long unless its a hack. They would have restored the backup or reverted to it by now if it was just a systems failure.
Yeah I was just thinking this, I am now suss, seems like a potential hack.
If it is and they have not been honest, they will feel a world of pain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You expect them to admit it now?

In IT a problem doesnt last this long unless its a hack. They would have restored the backup or reverted to it by now if it was just a systems failure.
lol

Id say more of a "let time sort it out"

Its not like they will be able to keep it hidden if it is a hack.

If its a infrastucture failing, it would be one of the biggest in the world for a company of this size
Yeah it's pretty unusual. I had recollection of some nationwide outages Telstra was responsible for, but looking back they lasted a couple of hours at most.

I'd like to know of an example where you've ever personally been involved with ICT related outages?
Very often. I have my CCNA degrees and certifications with Sophos/Palo Alto. This isnt a firewall issue for example since any change is a quick revert, its not a software patching issue since that is a system restore. Its not a coding issue since once again that is a revert.

They are simply being blocked from within their own systems by something like port exhaustion or network re-routing via malicious software they cant locate. Itd be even scarier if it was anything but this in all honesty. Itd be a absolute travesty.

8 hours now, yeah?

Crazy, crazy long outage. Especially when you consider incident management 101 for P1/2s is to resume service as quickly as possible. They've likely done a bunch of eChanges this morning that haven't worked I reckon.

Very often. I have my CCNA degrees and certifications with Sophos/Palo Alto. This isnt a firewall issue for example since any change is a quick revert, its not a software patching issue since that is a system restore. Its not a coding issue since once again that is a revert.

They are simply being blocked from within their own systems by something like port exhaustion or network re-routing via malicious software they cant locate. Itd be even scarier if it was anything but this in all honesty. Itd be a absolute travesty.
A+ for use of ChatGPT :D

But seriously, it's always possible, but just being a long outage doesn't prove anything, specially in a huge system.

Depends on their ability to access systems, outages can certainly occur due to standard changes, happened to Microsoft 12 months ago. An M365 change is a hell of a lot easier to resolve/rollback compared to configuration changes to remote comms gear.

It may or may not be an attack, there was a brief and big BGP spike at 4am, that's the kind of time that would be in their change windows.

8 hours now, yeah?

Crazy, crazy long outage. Especially when you consider incident management 101 for P1/2s is to resume service as quickly as possible. They've likely done a bunch of eChanges this morning that haven't worked I reckon.
SLAs and reality aren't related, if some routing change has ****ed their ability to quickly manage a nation-wide network it's understandable that this isn't a "have you turned it off and on again" type fix.

Remove this Banner Ad

Optus is the ars*hole of ISP's

Remove this Banner Ad

Back