Optus Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by scottywiper
Further proof that we should not play there.
Doesn't suit us at the moment, as we like the wide open spaces.

The ground dimensions at OO are bigger than the MCG and TD.

Thanks for coming, f-wit. I'm sure you have never made an error.
I will acknowledge you are correct, as the MCG is 1m narrower upon checking and TD is indeed slightly smaller.
It just seems to me that space is harder to find at Optus.
We are DEFINITELY better suited at those other venues - my point was that we are reportedly in line to play more games there and I think it is not in our best interest.
Now go play in front of a train.

North are being strongly lobbied to make OO their training base. Melb Council wants to upgrade the facilities with the club and are losing interest in spending any dosh on Arden Street. Might become our defacto home next year.

I feel sick just thinking about it!

NMFC - Stay away from O.O. The place is crap and entering into an arrangement with Carlton can only lead to trouble. Resist all pressure to move admin/training there and stay at Arden Street, PLEASE!

Heard something on Fox commentary re the move to Optus, something about Collo saying North were looking favourably at using Optus as a 'state of the art' training facility.

Originally posted by jozeph
Heard something on Fox commentary re the move to Optus, something about Collo saying North were looking favourably at using Optus as a 'state of the art' training facility.

Oh no! :mad:

If we move....big mistake.

It is an awful place, everything about it...I bet our boys would rather train at Arden St.

Ignoring the argument that has already taken place on this thread...I don't think OO suits our game...I thought it was too wide and too short. makes it difficult to play a CHF there. I remeber we had trouble there even with Carey at CHF.

Reminds me of how we play at the SCG.

10 million dollars is going to be spent on OO. It will be state of the art.Swimmingpool, gym, etc
It has the best surface in Victoria.
You guys think OO is cr@p and Arden street is a good place?:D
Good Lord....
You guys should be more worried about having good facilities for your players to train in rather than some misplaced ego.

Originally posted by TheHeatleyStand
10 million dollars is going to be spent on OO. It will be state of the art.Swimmingpool, gym, etc
It has the best surface in Victoria.
You guys think OO is cr@p and Arden street is a good place?:D
Good Lord....
You guys should be more worried about having good facilities for your players to train in rather than some misplaced ego.

Then why don't you lot stay at OO instead of getting other clubs to try and play there?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Were not trying to get anyone to play there. Most carlton supporters would stay there for home games(Thats why the board wont take it to a vote) Its a training facility.
It would be fantastic for you guys to TRAIN there.
What might happen is a couple of clubs will play the interstate teams there.
But its finished as a fair dinkum venue after 2006.
Dont forget you need around 27,000 in a game to break even playing games at the dome and 13,000 at OO. So it might suit you to play Freo there.

I think that a lot of people have a fear that we will be asked to play games at Optus Oval and that would be a very backward step. I believe that the proposal has nothing to do with playing games there and is only about sharing training facilities.

No matter how run down Arden Street is we still have a sentimental attachment to the place and a move would be difficult. Most of us would prefer that Ardent Street is redeveloped than to move somewhere else. However, $ are important particularly for our club. It has been reported that we would have to chip in $1 million to help pay for the Arden Street redevelopment and that our rent would increase substantially. We really have to have a good look at the proposal to share at Optus, but ONLY if it is a genuine sharing arrangement.

Clubs will be asked to play there because Carlton wants to play more games at the Docklands. Carlton want to go to OO, but need other clubs to play at OO, as they have a contract with the AFL to play X number of games their per year. Carlton should be forced to play all of those games at OO to meet the contract requirements, as they signed the contract not us.

I'ii take you back in a time machine to a few years ago. North was one of the clubs that got shafted by the AFL to play at OO. North and Carlton where both drawn to play on the same day. It Fu-king ****ed down this day, winding and freezing cold. The only problem was that North and our supporters had to sit at the sh-t hole called OO, got drenched and froze our ass's off,whilst the A-s clowns who signed the contract with the AFL, and told them they had to force other clubs to play at OO to meet the contract requirements, played under the closed roof at the Docklands.

But its finished as a fair dinkum venue after 2006.
Dont forget you need around 27,000 in a game to break even playing games at the dome and 13,000 at OO. So it might suit you to play Freo there.

North should never play a home game at Optus Oval again. It doesn't matter what the economics are, the supporters have voted with their feet and stayed away in droves.

If games must be played at Optus Oval until the end of 2006 then Carlton must be the team to play there.

So what did the people last night at the G have to endure weather wise?
Geeeez you people are soft.Ypu want to play where the roof closes. The roof doesnt close on Grand Final day.
What sort of an excuse is that?
Carlton dont have to have any clubs play at OO. weve already been paid out by the AFL.
What clubs like North have to think about is if it needs close to 30k to break even at the Dome is it worth playing their Freo home game there or at OO where it has a 12/13 k break even point.
either way i dont care where North play their home games.

Carlton wants other clubs to play OO. So they can steal their money, just like they did to FITZROY, when they were playing home games there. FITZROY didnt make one cent out of it.

F**king Carlton Scum

Originally posted by joybell27
North should never play a home game at Optus Oval again. It doesn't matter what the economics are, the supporters have voted with their feet and stayed away in droves.

The economics do matter. If it's cheaper for us to play games there, then do so against, and only against the interstate sides (with the proviso that the AFL helps us to do some marketing to promote the venue). If the numbers work out right, we may even forget about Canberra.

As for supporters staying away in droves, I think we got decent crowds there when we played the likes of West Coast, Port Adelaide, and the Swans there in the mid 90s. The AFL and Melbourne FC talked down the venue, and the mud has stuck. Really, is there any difference between seeing games at Princess Park in the 70s and 80s, and now?

We'll take the Canberra option thanx. :)

As Glenn Archer says, the weights weigh the same ! ;)

I think people are paranoid and uninformed .
Some of the comments are bordering on the hysterical and insane.

OO is a ground. You can negotiate a contract. You dont have to play your games there.Economics is important to any club.
The ground surface is better for the players than the Dome ( ask them)
We dont need anyone to play there, its going to be a training venue thats all.

I think people are paranoid and uninformed .
Some of the comments are bordering on the hysterical and insane.

OO is a ground. You can negotiate a contract. You dont have to play your games there.Economics is important to any club.
The ground surface is better for the players than the Dome ( ask them)
We dont need anyone to play there, its going to be a training venue thats all.
Thats my understanding of the situation as well, a training facility, the Melb City Council are unwilling to throw money at Arden st and the Roos are looking at a joint training base with Carlton, as for calling our supporters paranoid and hysterical thats only half of it.

Originally posted by Woodson
As Glenn Archer says, the weights weigh the same ! ;)

It could just be a perception thing, but it's interesting to see how clubs with hi-tech facilities Essendon, Adelaide, Port Adelaide, and Collingwood have had some pretty bad runs with injuries, whilst the more "low-tech" clubs like us, Melbourne, and Geelong seem to have had better runs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Optus Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Back