Oppo Camp Other Games Rolling Thread 2024 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey there. I hope you don't mind me posting about Ginni here on the Pies board. Popular past players & traded players can be a sensitive topic. Normally, I avoid getting into any discussion with supporters from a player's previous club.

Anyway, I just wanted to say I genuinely think you've got it wrong with your comments I quoted above. Maybe you haven't been watching the Hawks games very closely. Understandable. I wouldn't have watch us either if I didn't barrack for them. We were pure shite in the first 6 rounds... :D

There is no doubt Ginnivan used to fish for high contact frees almost every time he went near the ball, or at least put a ton of pressure on opposition defenders not to infringe. He is a very clever forward with incredible awareness of players around him and the possibility of an undisciplined high tackle

The umpires would treat him differently to other players, basically putting their whistles away and ignoring any high contact he received. It became a media circus. Everyone had an opinion.

He started out the same way at Hawthorn and the media circus continued. I must admit, I wasn't a fan. I don't like seeing players try to milk frees. I really hated the way Ginni would take himself out of the play by going to ground and looking around at the umps.

Over the past couple of months however, there has been a noticeable change in Ginnivan's approach to the game. I reckon our coaches have had pulled him aside and told him he doesn't need to do all that, that he is far more effective when he stays on his feet, keeps himself in the contest and tries to link up with teammates instead of "going it alone"

He still gets fewer frees than other players. Umpires are still wary of him. But it's no longer an issue. He is focused on doing all the team things. He has been a revelation (to me anyway.) I have completely changed my opinion about him. He is a FAR better player than I initially thought. He isn't a superstar or anything. Just a really solid small forward with a terrific football brain, who competes hard, and seems committed to making the most of his second chance and getting the best out of himself.

There were plenty of knockers who called him a dickhead (his social media presence, getting caught with drugs, going to the races the night before the GF, etc.) But these were hardly hanging offences and he was just a kid, for god's sake. He is still only 21.

----------------------------------------------------

In 2022, as a regular selection in the forward pocket, he played 23 games and received 32 free kicks. (1.39 per game)
In 2023, he was in and out of the team. His form dipped and the umps had "marked his card" with just 5 frees from 14 games.

This year at Hawthorn, he has played 11 games and received 10 free kicks. (0.91 per game). 3 on the weekend.

Since Hawks vs Pies (Gather Round)

Round 6 v Suns.... 1 free
Round 7 v NM....... 1 free
Round 8 v Syd...... none
Round 9 v Dogs.... none
Round 10 v St K.... 2 frees
Round 11 v Port.... none
Round 12 v Bris.... 3 frees

He dead-set milked the high free kick in front of goal yesterday in the 1st quarter, using the time-honoured Selwood raised-arm manoeuvre. Which was surprising given that a) umpires have been pretty good at not rewarding this ever since Selwood finally retired... and b) what I was saying earlier that Ginnivan has changed his approach and is no longer playing for frees.

I suppose we need to remember that ALL players will occasionally play for the free kick. They're professionals. It is part of the game. People seem to lose their minds when Ginnivan does it and is rewarded. The Lions fan sitting in front of me was apoplectic, haha... But it's such an overreaction.

Lachie Neale is the KING of milking high contact frees. He is out of control. And nobody said anything last week about Jason Horne-Francis shamelessly ducking his head all afternoon and being rewarded for it.

Willie Rioli won Port the game by conning the umpire and deliberately milking high contact in a marking contest with 20 secs left. He was PRAISED by everyone. :eek:

tl;dr - in recent weeks, Ginni has basically changed the way he plays. I think he has grown up a bit and decided he no longer wants to be a free kick sideshow. He is settling down into a solid, valuable team player.
errrr .. 50-odd seconds in

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it's just a quicker whistle on prior opportunity HtB, right?
Its not a new rule. It's going back to what it used to be.

Since the focus on concussion, players are too scared to take players to ground frightened they'll get suspended/hurt the player .. the player being tackled has now been able to keep their feet, being spun around, hold onto the ball forever & maybe end up disposing the ball incorrectly with only one arm held.

It's safer for everyone if the ump just blew the bloody whistle earlier.. kind of like what most of us have been yelling all year..

BAAAAAAALLLLLLLLL !

Last edited:
I’ve turned the sound off. I can’t even stand to hear the commentators say one thing, anything, even a passing remark, which is positive about Carlton.

I’d enjoy footy much more if they didn’t exist.☹️

I think it's just a quicker whistle on prior opportunity HtB, right?

No, it’s a quicker whistle on HTB where there was no prior opportunity, if the player doesn’t make an attempt in a reasonable amount of time once tackled.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Other Games Rolling Thread 2024 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back