• Schofield

• Buckley

• Montgomery

• Other

• Carr

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

not mad on Buckley tbh. Would rather have a crack at Dean Cox or James Rahilly

People say Carr is as bad as Hinkley, as he is in charge of the mid field.

I don't buy that.

Josh was assistant at Port 2011-2015, thru 2 of the shit under resourced years, before Ken got there, the first 2 years where when we had Richo and then Phil Walsh as the senior assistant and we had the Burgo fitness run and gun style.

The oppo in 2015 then made our games become heavy stoppage games as they tried to shut us down in 2015 and succeeded. IIRC the stats put up during that year, said Port games were either #1 or #2 for total stoppages that year.

2016-19 Josh is head coach of North. Runs his own team and has a say in all the club's sides. Takes over the 1-17 2015 wooden spooners. His side finishes, 9th, 10th, a Flag from 5th, beats minor premier Norwood from winning a flag. He took his side from wooden spoon to a flag. Has anyone else done that since Neil Kerley did in 1964 with South Adelaide?

Then 9th after having 5 flag players drafted to the AFL, Rozee, Boyd Woodcock. Jordan Sweet, Callum Wilkie and Robbie Young. And a couple of players either retired or left as I remember he lost 7 premiership players in 2019, and North don't have the strong feeder system like Woodville-West Torrens and Norwood do to quickly recover from that loss of players.

He then spent 2020-2022 as Justin Longmuir's midfield assistant. Longmuir's game plan is a hell of a lot more defensive than Ken's is, and Carr had the young midfield group humming with Serong, Andrew Bayshaw, Blake Acres, James Aish, Will Brodie, Jordan Clark, Hayden Young along with Mundy and Sean Darcy as a dominate ruck.

Josh leaves and Freo's goes from a finals team in 2022 winning an EF at home then loses the SF to Collingwood at the MCG, to 14th in 2023.

Now is that all on Carr?? Probably not, but the head coach's game plan sets up how the midfield drives things and how the midfield coach tries to fit into the over all plan. This is my summary of the Hinkley years re game style.

2013-14 The run and gun tied up with the Burgo fitness advantage and stream forward from everywhere.
2015 Try the run and gun but oppo blocks it and causes as many stoppages as possible.

2016-2019 The heavier territory game introduced, we learn to play more contested stoppage footy, Wines, Boak, Ebo and Robbie in the middle are bigger bodied mids who play the inside game ( when we don't waste Boakie as a high half forward), kick it to the bloody shithouse in our forwardline, doesn't matter if it goes out of bounds, we try and win the throw ins and snap on goal.

2020-22 - We straighten up and go from just kicking it to the bloody shithouse, to bomb it to Charlie. And it worked well in 2021 up until the PF, as we were 6-0 in games that were 12 pts or less margins and Charlie from about Rd 8 had huge last quarters in all those games and others and saw us win. I put up the AFL Rankings graphics for those games to show how important he was in last quarters, but I have lost where they are because the moderators had to merge the Toast Charlie ****ing Dixon thread because they couldn't handle one player having 2 or 3 threads about him.

2023-24 - We decide that with Butters, Rozee and JHF our mids, we are going to attack at all costs. We don't go defensive when the better sides get a run on, despite the 6-6-6 set up being around for 5 or 6 seasons. The need to win at all costs last year, to save Ken from the axe, took its toll as the season ground on.

Dermie made a very good call today on Whateley's program this morning, looking at the Port v Brisbane game.

He said Butters, Rozee and JHF are over invested when they've got it and charge forward. "All just charge forward and lets pound it in there, and get it there with pure force of running." He used over invested several times.

"And they are brilliant at it, but if some how, some way it goes the other direction, I guarantee you ..... (talks about the defensive running stats on the app) if you got those 3, it would be disproportionate, how hard they run forward, and how hard they run back."

One thing I know about Josh Carr, he wasn't a super attacking midfielder. He was a hard grinding, make my opponent accountable first and then attack. He did that on Michael Voss in that great game at the Gabba in 2003 when we won by 1 point and Josh kicked 4 goals still trying to defend hard on Voss and he got 23 disposals to Voss' 16. And those umpiring pricks didn't even give him a brownlow vote. I was at the Gabba that night and Josh was brilliant.

Ken coaches the way he played - pretty outside attacking football and flakey flanker type footy.

I would expect Carr to coach the way he play, hard nosed, do the grind when needed, and attack when you get the chance.

Those 2004 premiership players watching the game the other day, saw him kick our opening goal and get punched fair square in the jaw by Johno Brown in the 2004 GF and other hard stuff he had to do in that opening quarter in particular, and all game in general.

Our bloody current players should have been forced to watch it with them so they could see what it takes to beat the best, and let Kenny go to the TAB / Pub so he can watch the Dapto dogs.

I'd put my money on Josh not being a fan of Ken's high, high press. Ken wants to play exciting football. Ken said we play an attacking territory game and sometimes we let some easy goals out the back. And as we have seen, when the oppo get a run on nothing changes and we still play the same way.

Best example was 2021 PF when the Bulldogs destroyed us, and Schofield was the midfield coach.

Look at my list of how we have played over 11.5 seasons. Nothing fundamentally has changed. Its all finessing around the edges.

Ken talks about playing the Port Adelaide way. Port Adelaide way is winning football, including grinding football, not just attacking football, and if we have to win 10 games a year with us kicking 9 goal and the oppo 8, then so be it. That's what we have done in the past, not always attack at all costs, and have been smart enough to adjust when the momentum changes.

Is Josh Carr the long term answer to take us to the promised land?? I have no idea and nobody else does. My preference is a fully blown search, but how many candidates will be want to apply if they think he already has the job?

Remember the Neil Craig situation after he was caretaker coach in 2004? People pulled out of applying.

But I know we will play a different brand of footy if he gets hold of the reigns long term. You wont see a massive change if he gets 5 or 6 games to coach, the players will struggle to adjust to a big change like that. But a full preseason will see big changes.

I'm a big Buckley fan and would love to see either him or Carr in the role. I do think, however, that he's being oversold as somebody who would crack down and spear all the lovey dovey stuff. If you've listen to any significant amount of what he's said since leaving coaching he's constantly talking about how he changed as a coach over the years. He's talked about how he took it too seriously early on and has his regrets. He's pretty big on all the empathy stuff and catering to individual needs. He's also talked a lot about how the role and influence of head coach is overstated. Do I think it's necessarily a bad thing? No. I think he will still drive pretty high standards, but those expecting the "football is life" version of Nathan will be disappointed. One big tick in the Buckley column is that he fully understands Port Adelaide culture from a period when we were at our best. I DO think another high profile President with a presence in the media might sway him away from it though.

People say Carr is as bad as Hinkley, as he is in charge of the mid field.

I don't buy that.

Josh was assistant at Port 2011-2015, thru 2 of the shit under resourced years, before Ken got there, the first 2 years where when we had Richo and then Phil Walsh as the senior assistant and we had the Burgo fitness run and gun style.

The oppo in 2015 then made our games become heavy stoppage games as they tried to shut us down in 2015 and succeeded. IIRC the stats put up during that year, said Port games were either #1 or #2 for total stoppages that year.

2016-19 Josh is head coach of North. Runs his own team and has a say in all the club's sides. Takes over the 1-17 2015 wooden spooners. His side finishes, 9th, 10th, a Flag from 5th, beats minor premier Norwood from winning a flag. He took his side from wooden spoon to a flag. Has anyone else done that since Neil Kerley did in 1964 with South Adelaide?

Then 9th after having 5 flag players drafted to the AFL, Rozee, Boyd Woodcock. Jordan Sweet, Callum Wilkie and Robbie Young. And a couple of players either retired or left as I remember he lost 7 premiership players in 2019, and North don't have the strong feeder system like Woodville-West Torrens and Norwood do to quickly recover from that loss of players.

He then spent 2020-2022 as Justin Longmuir's midfield assistant. Longmuir's game plan is a hell of a lot more defensive than Ken's is, and Carr had the young midfield group humming with Serong, Andrew Bayshaw, Blake Acres, James Aish, Will Brodie, Jordan Clark, Hayden Young along with Mundy and Sean Darcy as a dominate ruck.

Josh leaves and Freo's goes from a finals team in 2022 winning an EF at home then loses the SF to Collingwood at the MCG, to 14th in 2023.

Now is that all on Carr?? Probably not, but the head coach's game plan sets up how the midfield drives things and how the midfield coach tries to fit into the over all plan. This is my summary of the Hinkley years re game style.

2013-14 The run and gun tied up with the Burgo fitness advantage and stream forward from everywhere.
2015 Try the run and gun but oppo blocks it and causes as many stoppages as possible.

2016-2019 The heavier territory game introduced, we learn to play more contested stoppage footy, Wines, Boak, Ebo and Robbie in the middle are bigger bodied mids who play the inside game ( when we don't waste Boakie as a high half forward), kick it to the bloody shithouse in our forwardline, doesn't matter if it goes out of bounds, we try and win the throw ins and snap on goal.

2020-22 - We straighten up and go from just kicking it to the bloody shithouse, to bomb it to Charlie. And it worked well in 2021 up until the PF, as we were 6-0 in games that were 12 pts or less margins and Charlie from about Rd 8 had huge last quarters in all those games and others and saw us win. I put up the AFL Rankings graphics for those games to show how important he was in last quarters, but I have lost where they are because the moderators had to merge the Toast Charlie ****ing Dixon thread because they couldn't handle one player having 2 or 3 threads about him.

2023-24 - We decide that with Butters, Rozee and JHF our mids, we are going to attack at all costs. We don't go defensive when the better sides get a run on, despite the 6-6-6 set up being around for 5 or 6 seasons. The need to win at all costs last year, to save Ken from the axe, took its toll as the season ground on.

Dermie made a very good call today on Whateley's program this morning, looking at the Port v Brisbane game.

He said Butters, Rozee and JHF are over invested when they've got it and charge forward. "All just charge forward and lets pound it in there, and get it there with pure force of running." He used over invested several times.

"And they are brilliant at it, but if some how, some way it goes the other direction, I guarantee you ..... (talks about the defensive running stats on the app) if you got those 3, it would be disproportionate, how hard they run forward, and how hard they run back."

One thing I know about Josh Carr, he wasn't a super attacking midfielder. He was a hard grinding, make my opponent accountable first and then attack. He did that on Michael Voss in that great game at the Gabba in 2003 when we won by 1 point and Josh kicked 4 goals still trying to defend hard on Voss and he got 23 disposals to Voss' 16. And those umpiring pricks didn't even give him a brownlow vote. I was at the Gabba that night and Josh was brilliant.

Ken coaches the way he played - pretty outside attacking football and flakey flanker type footy.

I would expect Carr to coach the way he play, hard nosed, do the grind when needed, and attack when you get the chance.

Those 2004 premiership players watching the game the other day, saw him kick our opening goal and get punched fair square in the jaw by Johno Brown in the 2004 GF and other hard stuff he had to do in that opening quarter in particular, and all game in general.

Our bloody current players should have been forced to watch it with them so they could see what it takes to beat the best, and let Kenny go to the TAB / Pub so he can watch the Dapto dogs.

I'd put my money on Josh not being a fan of Ken's high, high press. Ken wants to play exciting football. Ken said we play an attacking territory game and sometimes we let some easy goals out the back. And as we have seen, when the oppo get a run on nothing changes and we still play the same way.

Best example was 2021 PF when the Bulldogs destroyed us, and Schofield was the midfield coach.

Look at my list of how we have played over 11.5 seasons. Nothing fundamentally has changed. Its all finessing around the edges.

Ken talks about playing the Port Adelaide way. Port Adelaide way is winning football, including grinding football, not just attacking football, and if we have to win 10 games a year with us kicking 9 goal and the oppo 8, then so be it. That's what we have done in the past, not always attack at all costs, and have been smart enough to adjust when the momentum changes.

Is Josh Carr the long term answer to take us to the promised land?? I have no idea and nobody else does. My preference is a fully blown search, but how many candidates will be want to apply if they think he already has the job?

Remember the Neil Craig situation after he was caretaker coach in 2004? People pulled out of applying.

But I know we will play a different brand of footy if he gets hold of the reigns long term. You wont see a massive change if he gets 5 or 6 games to coach, the players will struggle to adjust to a big change like that. But a full preseason will see big changes.
Bloody Hell I hope you're right.

I'd much rather Buckley than trust the likes of Chris Davies and Matthew Richardson to choose an untried assistant coach and actually make the right decision on it.

And you don't hire Buckley in a process either. You offer him the job.

Buckley on SEN.

"The first thing a Port fan thinks when they celebrate the 20 year anniversary of the 2004 flag is why haven't we won't one since, not wasn't that great. That's just the mentality"

He gets us.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We did this with Hinkley..

No one is above presenting and going through an interview process.

Buckley wouldn't put himself through a process to potentially get rejected. If they want to run a process then that's fine but it won't include Buckley.

Buckley wouldn't put himself through a process to potentially get rejected. If they want to run a process then that's fine but it won't include Buckley.
There's ways you can frame it for a candidate of his ilk, he's not gonna go through the same process as an aspiring assistant however he would need to present/outline his vision, expectations etc.

I'd be surprised if someone like Buckley wouldn't expect it & also want to feel out if he's aligned in certain respects to people within the walls.

There's ways you can frame it for a candidate of his ilk, he's not gonna go through the same process as an aspiring assistant however he would need to present/outline his vision, expectations etc.

I'd be surprised if someone like Buckley wouldn't expect it & also want to feel out if he's aligned in certain respects to people within the walls.

Oh yeah don't get me wrong, absolutely have a chat to him and do your due diligence before offering him the job.

I'm not a fan of Buckley's coaching, but I'll make the following observations:

1. He seems more re-engaged with our club than I expected, since he departed Collingwood and entered the media.
2. He hasn't denied links to coaching us.
3. Voss - although he hasn't achieved any more than Hinkley as a coach yet - is doing a much better job at Carlton than I expected, and he was a failure as a first-time coach.

The only difference is Voss moved on from Brisbane and eventually to Port for several years, whilst Buckley has remained in the media. Since his departure from Collingwood.

He hasn't been exposed or done any work in a different club system.

Absolute no to anybody who goes through a process involving Davies, Koch, Richardson etc.
That's a bigger problem. We need a selection panel we can trust. Then we need that panel to have a process for the coach.

I don't think Richardson is actually involved with anything is he outside of the occasional WOOHOO?

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Our Next Coach

Back