Ovens and Murray

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
thats coz your in QLD juddy when you should be at princes park...!!!

the rovers forward line is where the hype will be for most of the year... i guarantee that all opposing teams will envy that line up but will be interesting to see if they do get in each others road... i think too classy for that though...

opinions on maybe who will take number one backmenand who could slip under radar? who will be first to the half ton???

Good point made before about the Maggies backline but where i think they lack is probably up forward. Can imagine Carmody spending a fair bit of time up there this season, making him and Henners the two tall options with Hayes the midsized player in the mix. Come round two however i think the Hawks will win out in that area of the ground. With the likes of Matty Allen, still the best fullback in the league, Tyson Hartwig, Steve McIntyre, John Conroy, Mark Strack, and Ben Kneebone down there, that would amount to just about the best backline in the comp. A plethora of tall options who can play both big and small. Rovers forward line looking scary too. hope that they dont end up fighting amongst each other over who is goin to kick 50 goals first.

agree that wang won't have the firepower of rovers, but don't underestimate them. Hooper will hold down CHF for wang, he will be a gun O&M player having seen a bit of him in melb in 06. He'll be supported by hayes and henry in the last line of attack, and don't forget blokes like braden who bobbed up as a goalkicker as the 3rd option last year. Their midfielders also kick alot of goals.

re the rovers backline, with all due respect, to say that matty allen is still the best fullback in the comp is a massive call. He was well beaten on the 2 occasions i saw him in 07. I also read that bradshaw kicked 7 in the elimination final so the stopping job on him was obviously ordinary (not sure that allen actually played on him though?)

the game that sticks in my mind from 07, with a view to 08, was the 2nd meeting between wang and rovers. Both teams went in with a full head of steam, and wang stood rovers up a 3 goal start at 1/4 time and gave them a 15 goal beating, allowing rovers only 3 goals after 1/4 time. Therefore, if wang are anywhere near the level they were last year, rovers still have some way to go to get near them. Having said that, they have recruited well and will close the gap, question is just how much? I reckon the 2 wang sides are well placed to dominate the season though.

Good point made before about the Maggies backline but where i think they lack is probably up forward. Can imagine Carmody spending a fair bit of time up there this season, making him and Henners the two tall options with Hayes the midsized player in the mix. Come round two however i think the Hawks will win out in that area of the ground. With the likes of Matty Allen, still the best fullback in the league, Tyson Hartwig, Steve McIntyre, John Conroy, Mark Strack, and Ben Kneebone down there, that would amount to just about the best backline in the comp. A plethora of tall options who can play both big and small. Rovers forward line looking scary too. hope that they dont end up fighting amongst each other over who is goin to kick 50 goals first.

Over the last 5 seasons the two sides with the best defensive records would no doubt be lavington and rovers. They both had at least 4 high quality backmen who could play in any of the 6 positions. In 08' tho I cant see rovers having the best back 6, to many younger type players who wont be able to handle to types like bradshaw, fowler, prior, leslie or ambrose. And without being disrespectful, I no longer think matty allen can hanlde fowards of this calibre anymore. He's best suited to the 3rd or 4th best foward and using his experience to win the one on one contest.

Over the last 5 seasons the two sides with the best defensive records would no doubt be lavington and rovers. They both had at least 4 high quality backmen who could play in any of the 6 positions. In 08' tho I cant see rovers having the best back 6, to many younger type players who wont be able to handle to types like bradshaw, fowler, prior, leslie or ambrose. And without being disrespectful, I no longer think matty allen can hanlde fowards of this calibre anymore. He's best suited to the 3rd or 4th best foward and using his experience to win the one on one contest.
which team will have the best 6 then???

agree that wang won't have the firepower of rovers, but don't underestimate them. Hooper will hold down CHF for wang, he will be a gun O&M player having seen a bit of him in melb in 06. He'll be supported by hayes and henry in the last line of attack, and don't forget blokes like braden who bobbed up as a goalkicker as the 3rd option last year. Their midfielders also kick alot of goals.

re the rovers backline, with all due respect, to say that matty allen is still the best fullback in the comp is a massive call. He was well beaten on the 2 occasions i saw him in 07. I also read that bradshaw kicked 7 in the elimination final so the stopping job on him was obviously ordinary (not sure that allen actually played on him though?)

the game that sticks in my mind from 07, with a view to 08, was the 2nd meeting between wang and rovers. Both teams went in with a full head of steam, and wang stood rovers up a 3 goal start at 1/4 time and gave them a 15 goal beating, allowing rovers only 3 goals after 1/4 time. Therefore, if wang are anywhere near the level they were last year, rovers still have some way to go to get near them. Having said that, they have recruited well and will close the gap, question is just how much? I reckon the 2 wang sides are well placed to dominate the season though.

Good to see some quality posts being made the last few days boys.

Captain P. You seem to have a good understanding of the 2 Wang teams, care to post us a best line up inc match up's for the Wang Derby with a prediction?

Juddy08 as am oposition player I would have thought you should know these Rovers defenders? Not sure if I would say they are the best back 6 but they are solid enough.
Agreed that Matty Allen is a little past playing on the quality forwards but still contributes well as a loose defender sweeping across half back.

which team will have the best 6 then???

Not 100% sure at this stage, regardless of who has the best back 6 I also agree that I think wang will have a good enough back 6 to get the job done this season, and that's all that really matters i think. I'll have a crack tho and say that without injuries that Wodonga will be hard to score against this season and possibly corowa, altho not completely sure how they will line up at this stage. You could probly throw lavy up there as well just for the fact that there back 6 are so experienced and have all played alot of footy together. Happy to hear others thoughts on the matter

Matt Allen made the B.M team of the year last year and i believe finished 2nd in the rovers B&F and probably one of the most consistent players to play O&M. Not a bad effort for someone who you don't seem to be rating. Would and could still play on the best forwards in the competition.Smart move i would say to take the pressure off him and let him finish his career directing and nurturing HIS defence from the back pocket.

Matt Allen made the B.M team of the year last year and i believe finished 2nd in the rovers B&F and probably one of the most consistent players to play O&M. Not a bad effort for someone who you don't seem to be rating. Would and could still play on the best forwards in the competition.Smart move i would say to take the pressure off him and let him finish his career directing and nurturing HIS defence from the back pocket.
totally agree BADS

matty allen is still one of the best defenders in the league. rovers people believe that last year was one of his best in years. if people think that he is past it have a chat to the lavi coach and ask him if he thinks it is easy playing on matty.

don't know your players too well then do ya juddy!!!!????

whys that kage....cos strack played twos, and hartwig played twos all yr...anyteam with 2 players whos played twos all yr cant have the best back line in the league....put it up against maggies,...j.porter, OM rep, steer VCFL rep, Trenfield Former VFL and AFL listed player, Lord former VFL listed player, Cairns 150game player, Harrington up and coming gun....but sure....rovers is the best backline:rolleyes:

Captain P. You seem to have a good understanding of the 2 Wang teams, care to post us a best line up inc match up's for the Wang Derby with a prediction?

Juddy08 as am oposition player I would have thought you should know these Rovers defenders? Not sure if I would say they are the best back 6 but they are solid enough.
Agreed that Matty Allen is a little past playing on the quality forwards but still contributes well as a loose defender sweeping across half back.

Haha also glitter im not judd porter!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

matty allen is still one of the best defenders in the league. rovers people believe that last year was one of his best in years. if people think that he is past it have a chat to the lavi coach and ask him if he thinks it is easy playing on matty.

"bradshaw, fowler, prior, leslie or ambrose. And without being disrespectful, I no longer think matty allen can hanlde fowards of this calibre anymore. He's best suited to the 3rd or 4th best foward and using his experience to win the one on one contest."

Snap - I think if you'll have a read back over my post, I was saying he would struggle to take the gun forwards as listed above by 'Gun Recruit'

Not doubting he still goes alright on the 3 best forward..

BADS - Would you ever consider a move into the O&M to play under your brother?

Juddy08 - Was just checking.

Plenty of Rovers/Maggies talk lately.

What else is news in the O&M?

I hear Panthers might have a couple of sly signings around the corner, we need a couple to cover Stevo in the first half of the year.

whys that kage....cos strack played twos, and hartwig played twos all yr...anyteam with 2 players whos played twos all yr cant have the best back line in the league....put it up against maggies,...j.porter, OM rep, steer VCFL rep, Trenfield Former VFL and AFL listed player, Lord former VFL listed player, Cairns 150game player, Harrington up and coming gun....but sure....rovers is the best backline:rolleyes:

Also Ben cosgriff (afl listed and vfl centre half back at casey scorpians)

so you do know who those players are i wasn't saying they did have the best 6 i was just stating that you didn't know any of players names mention but now ya do good to see ya did ya homework

Matty Allen - 400+ game veteran, judged by many to be one of the greatest fullbacks to play country footy

Steve McIntyre - Ex Assumption boy, played on the likes of McMillan, Prior, Jackson and Leslie throughout the year and rarely lowered his colours. good in the air and outstrips his opponents when the ball is on the deck

Ben Kneebone - dont think i can recall one oponent getting the better of him throughout the year apart from bradshaw in that final. looks like he will go some way to being like his uncle (Allen)

John Conroy - very versatile player, can play on big or small, has nearly 100 games experience now

Tyson Hartwig - far too good a player to have played seconds last year, dominated at that level and when he finally did get time in the snrs, was played up forward and struggled

Karl Norman - will probably play most of the season up forward but started his career as a backman and dominated the O&M from CHB, winning selection in the BM all star team in that position in 2002. could be called down back at various times of the year

I dunno but having a backline like that would make me feel pretty safe!

Matty Allen - 400+ game veteran, judged by many to be one of the greatest fullbacks to play country footy

Steve McIntyre - Ex Assumption boy, played on the likes of McMillan, Prior, Jackson and Leslie throughout the year and rarely lowered his colours. good in the air and outstrips his opponents when the ball is on the deck

Ben Kneebone - dont think i can recall one oponent getting the better of him throughout the year apart from bradshaw in that final. looks like he will go some way to being like his uncle (Allen)

John Conroy - very versatile player, can play on big or small, has nearly 100 games experience now

Tyson Hartwig - far too good a player to have played seconds last year, dominated at that level and when he finally did get time in the snrs, was played up forward and struggled

Karl Norman - will probably play most of the season up forward but started his career as a backman and dominated the O&M from CHB, winning selection in the BM all star team in that position in 2002. could be called down back at various times of the year

I dunno but having a backline like that would make me feel pretty safe!

yeah but mate all those are solely your opinion, you havent given us any facts showing that kneebone and mcyntire rarely got their colors lowered and conroy would be closer to 50 not 100 games...

Clearly a rovers supporter. Allen and timba have had great contests over a long time but lets not forget the games that timba tore matty a new arseh*le aswell, allens a great player but like most backmen he does get beaten probly 50% of the time. Great teams cover deficiencies in their backlines, and matty allen has been an intergral member of some absolutely awesome rovers teams in his career, which has probly made his job a little easier, still a great player tho and out-and-out champion of country footy :thumbsu:

Clearly a rovers supporter. Allen and timba have had great contests over a long time but lets not forget the games that timba tore matty a new arseh*le aswell, allens a great player but like most backmen he does get beaten probly 50% of the time. Great teams cover deficiencies in their backlines, and matty allen has been an intergral member of some absolutely awesome rovers teams in his career, which has probly made his job a little easier, still a great player tho and out-and-out champion of country footy :thumbsu:

Well put gun, allen has been 1 of if not the best full back ever to play O&M. And i don't think anyone on here has actually been bagging him for those that seem to be leaping to his defence. But anyone that considers him still the best full back in the comp is kidding themselves. His days of playing on the influential key forwards and curtailing them on a regular basis are past him, but if he can prolong his career by playing more of a sweeping role in the back half then good luck to him. As for the strength of the rovers backline, and the suggestion that it's the best in the comp by someone, please! On the contrary it is their biggest weakness. In the big games that i saw last year, they simply could not cope with the key forwards in the better sides. To use a couple of examples, bradshaw destroyed them in the elim final, and in the 2nd meeting with wang hayes henry and braden ruled the air and shared about 12 goals i think from memory. Statistically i think it was the 4th best in 07 and i reckon that's about right - better than most, but not as good as the top few. Norman will probably have to play back if they are going to beat wang or wodonga this year. As for other news around the league, i haven't heard much in the last couple of weeks. Anyone else got any news on late signings, injuries, etc? Practice matches fire up on march 1, anyone that wants to see schedules for practice matches, they are on the O&M website at www.omfl.vcfl.com.au , in the left hand menu there is a '2008 countdown' link which has all the border mail articles previewing teams for the year. The practice matches for each club is in their preview.

not a rovers supporter mate just agreeing that with the rest off the crowd that allen is a very good footballer. i also believe that he may not be able to play on the big forwards but he still plays his role of zoning off and getting forward on the odd occasion as good as anyone. in last years border mail sanson said that allen was his hardest opponent and that he cant recall ever beating him.

not a rovers supporter mate just agreeing that with the rest off the crowd that allen is a very good footballer. i also believe that he may not be able to play on the big forwards but he still plays his role of zoning off and getting forward on the odd occasion as good as anyone. in last years border mail sanson said that allen was his hardest opponent and that he cant recall ever beating him.

We all know Timba only said Matty Allen cause he's still to scared to say Craig Tafts name just in case Tafty comes back to haunt him.

We all know Timba only said Matty Allen cause he's still to scared to say Craig Tafts name just in case Tafty comes back to haunt him.

Speaking of taft he is back this year. Just reading too that ambrose is going around again for corowa and that they've also signed a forward from the vafa who used to play in perth with ambrose. Reynoldson sounds like he is fit and raring to go, and they've also signed sam carpenter from vfl. After being destroyed by injuries last year, they are shaping up nicely under tossol.

Speaking of taft he is back this year. Just reading too that ambrose is going around again for corowa and that they've also signed a forward from the vafa who used to play in perth with ambrose. Reynoldson sounds like he is fit and raring to go, and they've also signed sam carpenter from vfl. After being destroyed by injuries last year, they are shaping up nicely under tossol.

Dave Clark from Old Brighton is a gun midfielder will be top 5 player in comp, plus Ambrose with a decent midfield at Full Forward will kick 80 plus.
Corowa will win flag easily

Glitter, i reckon wang's best 22 will be something like:

B: Cairns Steer Symons
HB: Trenfield Cosgriff Harrington
C: D Porter Smith J Porter
HF: Braden Hooper Mullins
F: Henry Hayse Higgs
Foll: Kirby Mccormick Clarke
Int: Carmody Lord Canny

Not much different to the prem'ship side, only loss is luke griffin who is on track to win a spot with collingwood's reserves side. Only additions are smith and hooper, but they are massive 'ins'. Pell is recovering from a knee reco and might be a chance to play late in the year. Depth could be an issue at wang, as quite a few fringe type players have departed either during last year or over the off season to the O&K mainly. Given a reasonable run with injuries though the above side should be in the GF again.

As for rovers, i am not as well acquainted with them, but i will have a go at their best 22.

B: Allen Carlile Strack
HB: Conroy McIntyre Hamilton
C: Sharp A Hill Tucci
HF: Noonan Norman R Hill
F: Silver Christoforo Webb
Foll: Platfuss Raven Allan
Int: Kneebone Brown Bell

Someone with a better knowledge of rovers may be able to suggest improvements to the above. Seems they've added norman platfuss hamilton and noonan, while losing taylor and mclaughlin from their best 22 of 07. As we've said on here before, the above forward line is going to kick alot of goals, but i reckon the back half is still the worry against the good sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back