Over 50's Clique - Nostalgia, Memorabilia, Reflection and Opinion for the Mature Lion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Junior Associate Membership Papers are in the post. If you are 45 now that means you were 14 or so when Micky Conlan kicked the winning goal against Essendon in the 1986 Elimination Final. If you can remember that then you are in. If you can't because your memory is fading, here it is again.

#thecliquewithwisdom

I am also 45 and was there. And I'm willing to put up with you old farts over 50 too.
The best bit about this was the Roos goosestep when he knows the siren has gone and is celebrating.

Last edited:
Had a good chat with this legend at the Essendon game last weekend.

AFL Footballers from any club need to watch this video, if they want to learn how to kick goals. Kick through the bloody ball with pace and rhythm. No poking at it. Guide the ball down to your boot, its not a drop from above its a guide. Quinlan was a great mark, and a great dashing runner prior to his Achilles issues in the last few seasons. But his kicking was sublime. The amount of times he kicked it from more than 50 out, almost post high, was sheer brilliance.

I got to go on the ground at the Junction either before the game or at half time (can't remember which) and do a demonstration of a new toy, Tim the Bird. About 10 of us ran around throwing this stupid wind up bird thing. We did get to go into the rooms though which was awesome.

Still remember the night the news "broke" (pardon the young-person vernacular) that Quinlan had been cleared to Fitzroy and skipping up and down the passage at home, "we've got Bernie! we've got Bernie!"

It was an interesting time in terms of recruitment of established players.....
The Roys got Bernie, Robert Walls, and from memory the year after Max Richardson and John Rantall.
Two out of 4 worked, although Walls didn't last a long time playing he went on to Coach us very well.

Compare that to the discussion Collingwood are currently having in relation to picking up Mayne, Wells, Greenwood...

Yeah, Max gave us one good year. Kevin Higgins another. Len Thompson (along with Rantall), not the best of moves, though.
Randall admitted to Mike Sheahan that he only went to Fitzroy to get the games record (from Bulldog Murray). I can remember we were none too happy. I thought most of our older recruits inn that period gave us value - big Len, Max, Higgins, Walls, Sidebottom. But taking Rantall was a bad move.

Randall admitted to Mike Sheahan that he only went to Fitzroy to get the games record (from Bulldog Murray). I can remember we were none too happy. I thought most of our older recruits inn that period gave us value - big Len, Max, Higgins, Walls, Sidebottom. But taking Rantall was a bad move.
The other side of the ledger was the loss of Allan, Irwin and Marchesani at the end of the 1980 season. In retrospect, probably cost us a flag or two. Had those three been on our list, I think Fitzroy might have pinched a Premiership in '81 and we would have been dead certs in '83 with a mid-field selected from Wilson, Lokan, Allan, Marchesani, Harris and Irwin. Then add Barwick, who arrived in '84 and this midfield group was equal to or better than anything else running around at the time.

rusty08 as a 'past player' you are granted automatic membership. That would have been such a thrill. My oldest son is getting a run with his Auskick club at half time in the Essendon v Fremantle game later this season. He is pretty excited about that, but to have played Little League for Fitzroy on GF day, well, that is a whole new level of celebrity.
Thanks mate. The LL gf was actually preliminary final day but with Fitzroy playing, it made it all more special. We had Gary Pert and Leon Harris take training and come to the movies with us. Being the only Fitzroy supporter in the side, I got the preferential treatment, taking a speccy over Pert for the local paper. Was in my element.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond this week:

Following on from what I was saying earlier about Fitzroy in 1981, here are our two games against reigning premier Richmond that year. Richmond were a tough opponent and while they didn't make the finals in 1981, they finished top of the table in '82 and were hot favourites for the flag that year. Their "window" was well and truly open in '81 but Fitzroy helped slam it shut. Some big names playing in these games.

Brisbane Bears really pushed Richmond in both of these games. Let's hope the Brisbane Lions are as competitive this weekend.

Last edited:
One of my very early membership cards
View attachment 391159
Beautiful. We had a couple of these every season at my Primary School in Lower Templestowe because we were in the Fitzroy zone and the club dished them out. All you had to do was ask one of the Grade 6 teachers if you could have the tickets and they were yours. As one of a very small band of Fitzroy supporters, I used them a fair bit.

A few hits and a few misses: Larry Donohue...John Cassin...Doug Smith...Kelly O'Donnell...Mark Weideman...Allan Sidebottom...Micky Roberts... ... ...Peter McCormack!

On the upside, how good is McCluggage at sticking his tackles! When he tackles an opponent they stay tackled. A couple of great efforts last night, rewarded with free kicks. This was another area where others need to improve. Geelong brushed us off too frequently or simply waltzed around and through us. As our younger players mature physically and grow in confidence, we will naturally get better in this department.
Lewy Taylor is another one. Couldn't tackle to save himself last year. Big improver this year

A few hits and a few misses: Larry Donohue...John Cassin...Doug Smith...Kelly O'Donnell...Mark Weideman...Allan Sidebottom...Micky Roberts... ... ...Peter McCormack!

Wow, that is some list in hindsight.

I seem to remember Max coaching the reserves in his last year, and coming on as a last quarter interchange player at the Junction to try and get the youngsters over the line and essentially coach from the field.
Sidey was a fabulous foil for Quinlan in 83 and 84, rucking in the forward line too. Allowed the smaller players to walk a little taller, probably doing the job that Ronnie Alexander did in earlier years by not letting the little men be bullied.

But there were definitely some misses.

I also remember the Warwick Irwin move to the Pies in return for Des Herbert and Leigh Carlson - I think that was the swap, wasn't it? Carlson was more than serviceable - he used to team well off the wing with guys like Salty Parish, and could kick a great sweeping left foot goal. Herbert seemed to fade quite quickly though.

Rantall I never really understood. And given it got him over the line on the games record from Bulldog, it makes even less sense. Rantall was more than cooked by then.

Actually I do wonder why that Max Richardson idea isn't utilised by clubs fielding their own VFL Teams as their seconds, today. Having an Assistant Coach coming on the ground off the bench would be an asset to teaching the youngsters - and given VFL teams need top ups beyond their limited AFL list, therein lies an opportunity. Always thought a guy like Jed Adcock would have been perfect for that sort of onfield teaching role a year or two ago, in addition to being a line coach or Assistant Coach.

Wow, that is some list in hindsight.

I seem to remember Max coaching the reserves in his last year, and coming on as a last quarter interchange player at the Junction to try and get the youngsters over the line and essentially coach from the field.
Sidey was a fabulous foil for Quinlan in 83 and 84, rucking in the forward line too. Allowed the smaller players to walk a little taller, probably doing the job that Ronnie Alexander did in earlier years by not letting the little men be bullied.

But there were definitely some misses.

I also remember the Warwick Irwin move to the Pies in return for Des Herbert and Leigh Carlson - I think that was the swap, wasn't it? Carlson was more than serviceable - he used to team well off the wing with guys like Salty Parish, and could kick a great sweeping left foot goal. Herbert seemed to fade quite quickly though.

Rantall I never really understood. And given it got him over the line on the games record from Bulldog, it makes even less sense. Rantall was more than cooked by then.

Actually I do wonder why that Max Richardson idea isn't utilised by clubs fielding their own VFL Teams as their seconds, today. Having an Assistant Coach coming on the ground off the bench would be an asset to teaching the youngsters - and given VFL teams need top ups beyond their limited AFL list, therein lies an opportunity. Always thought a guy like Jed Adcock would have been perfect for that sort of onfield teaching role a year or two ago, in addition to being a line coach or Assistant Coach.
Yeah Sidey was great value. A bustling type, not tall in today's terms but would impose himself on the contest and mobile if not athletic and more skilful than he looked.
The loss of our real star players (in which group I don't include Marchesani) started with Murphy and spread to Irwin, Allan, Broderick, Barwick, Pert and later Roos, Lynch and Osborne. A fabulous wealth of talent lost.

Remove this Banner Ad

Over 50's Clique - Nostalgia, Memorabilia, Reflection and Opinion for the Mature Lion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back