Over 50's Clique - Nostalgia, Memorabilia, Reflection and Opinion for the Mature Lion.

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not cranky . Just observant.

Most of it is BS and the mental health issues that are created and exacerbated for this generation (and some other generations as well ) are already well and truly evident when every second woman I pass on the street has had her face distorted by some greedy surgeon.

When I go for a coffee and the table next to me is mum and dad and 3 kids under 10 who all spend their whole time on their phone doing who knows what I realise we've lost our way.
I try to pinch their drinks while they are on their phones. Especially if it's a Coonawarra Cab. The best way is to way lay the waiter as the drinks are being delivered and leave early and leave them with the bill.

When my twins were young we didn't allow mobile phones and the internet went off (you can do this with your virus protection soft ware) at 6.30 each night.

One of their schools (they went to different schools) did not allow lap tops at school but you had to have the ability to download and up load from home. He would down load as soon as he got home but have to up load in the morning when the net came back on.

Both boys say it was a great system.

Yesterday gave me 1979 vibes.Fitzroy 6 goals up at Geelong in the last quarter managed to lose by 2 goals when Kelvin Matthews went berserkfor the first and only time.
Dropped us a couple of places to an elimination final

Alan Thompson was at the Hampden Junior finals today, his fingers look like Twisties. John Rantall still looking very fit and playing over 50’s table tennis 🏓 in Terang
For people not familiar with the region, that’s pronounced Tee-rang.

I was back in my old stomping ground the other week and stunned to see the Commercial in Camperdown no longer has the Bistro open. Apparently the Maddens sold it to a mob that have closed the Bistro. Very sad.

For people not familiar with the region, that’s pronounced Tee-rang.

I was back in my old stomping ground the other week and stunned to see the Commercial in Camperdown no longer has the Bistro open. Apparently the Maddens sold it to a mob that have closed the Bistro. Very sad.
Purely a gambling den now 😞

Happier news - I am friends with the father of a player from our Premiership years and the other week he asked how 3KZ Junior’s footy was going and I mentioned that we are yet to have our Presentation Night, but he has won the B&F for this season. Junior doesn’t know this of course.

Anyway, I saw the dad again today and he presented me with his son’s Brisbane Lions Team kit bag from 2001, complete with player number monogrammed on as a gift for my son and a really nice card from the past player encouraging him to keep striving with his football. The bag is in great condition, but it is huge. His one pair of boots, change of clothes, drink bottle, mouth guard and towel don’t go anywhere near filling it. He was so proud though.

I don't know about my fellow old codgers on here but I love the rain, brings back memories of childhood afternoon storms here in Brisbane in the 70s, loved running around outside skidding on the grass.

Still go for the occasional walk in the rain even now, no slipping and sliding any longer though, could break a hip.

I don't know about my fellow old codgers on here but I love the rain, brings back memories of childhood afternoon storms here in Brisbane in the 70s, loved running around outside skidding on the grass.

Still go for the occasional walk in the rain even now, no slipping and sliding any longer though, could break a hip.
I love the rain too ..... except when I'm driving and the idiots all come out and display even worse driving skills than when its dry.

Just watched the Fagan press conference after debacle at the MCG. Apparently there will be ‘learnings’ 😂
I would prefer some good old fashioned ‘arse kickings’.

Just watched the Fagan press conference after debacle at the MCG. Apparently there will be ‘learnings’ 😂
I would prefer some good old fashioned ‘arse kickings’.
Even Lachie said on 360 during the week there were learnings after the GWS loss, yet despite all of these “learnings” we still produce more garbage which Fagan says we’ll learn from.

Are they serious? None of them learn because the same garbage keeps rearing its head from time to time and what about team selection; Smith, Joyce and Sharp?

I hate to say it but we just don’t care enough 3KZ.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After last night Lou Richards is in heaven, telling this gag to Jack Dyer.

Lou: “Jack, did you hear that the AFL are going to relocate the Lions to the Phillipines?”

Jack: “Is that right Louie? What are they going to call them?”

Lou: “The Manila Folders.”

Last edited:
TISM's new song about 70s football released today. Those were the days - steel cans (to stand on at the football to see), long hair, terrible fashion and no seat belts. No one really cared too much what you did.

I reckon I'd have loved living through those days - shame I missed them - particularly the not having to pander to precious little souls feelings.

240158_AFL_Re-Signing_Ryan_Lester_Article_Header.jpg

Great news! #Lester250

Couldn’t find 1999 v Footscray.
Yes, I've never been able to find that one either. It's a great shame; en route to our 10th (thumping) win in a row, we kicked the first 7 goals in a blistering opening 20 minutes, at which point Sandy Roberts described us as "an out of control freight train" and Dipper down on the boundary marvelled at the (at the time) revolutionary antics of key defenders Leppitsch and Heuskes: "they just take off!"

The 2003 Semi Final against Adelaide is also a great watch altho I've never been able to find it either. All sorts of injury problems, Vossy spends the first 20 minutes on the bike. Didn't stop us from running all over the top of them in the last quarter. Ah, how I long for that feeling once again...

Remove this Banner Ad

Over 50's Clique - Nostalgia, Memorabilia, Reflection and Opinion for the Mature Lion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back