Summer Paris 2024 - Basketball

Remove this Banner Ad

Terrible closing sequence. Burned points galore in the close out
Take the W but agree - left 8-10 points out there which will prove costly.
Basics sadly lacking - ball protection atrocious , reaching fouls , missed passes and virtually zero offensive rebounding- tough watch indeed.

Take the W but agree - left 8-10 points out there which will prove costly.
Basics sadly lacking - ball protection atrocious , reaching fouls , missed passes and virtually zero offensive rebounding- tough watch indeed.
Canada shot at 35% from the field and 66% from FT. We out rebounded them 42-31. Yet still only won by 5 points.

That's the way I understand it too. I believe Matisse's situation while not the same is just as bad. A couple moves to Australia with a small child (2 years old) from the USA, then leaves Australia to return to USA when said child is 9 years old. He never visits Australia after the age of 9 years old and is developed in the USA. At 25 years old his Australian NBA Coach learns that he once lived in Australia and gets him onto the Australian team. This is not Australian, this is manipulation of the rules set out by the Olympic committee and wrong on every level but we accept it as it makes our team better.

Its not 'just as bad' at all
He has been eligible to play for Australia the whole time.

We havent gone out and recruited him.

Its not 'just as bad' at all
He has been eligible to play for Australia the whole time.

We havent gone out and recruited him.
I'm not saying he's not eligible, rather the eligibility criteria is cactus and we shouldn't we pointing the finger at other countries as Australia has taken advantage of the same rules.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He had only ever been to Spain to play away games for his pro-team.

When Rubio became unavailable and no quality Spanish back up PG’s, they undertook an exercise to find one. He was identified as the national coach coached him at Toronto.

Then his citizenship was rushed through under exceptional circumstances, as it was of benefit to the national basketball team.

It’s horseshit.
It is horseshit, but so is the Thybulle situation. How does living in a country between 2-9 years old qualify you?

It is horseshit, but so is the Thybulle situation. How does living in a country between 2-9 years old qualify you?
He qualified under normal citizenship rules.

Brown didn’t, a special exemption was rushed through.

Your earlier mention of Thybulle getting a “golden ticket” seemed a bit off. Do you have an issue with immigrants?

I'm not saying he's not eligible, rather the eligibility criteria is cactus and we shouldn't we pointing the finger at other countries as Australia has taken advantage of the same rules.

Yeah, nah. Matisse lived in Australia and has an Australian passport. If he wanted free healthcare and to not tip, he could move here tomorrow as he is an Australian citizen.

That is a world of difference from players with no connection to a country being given citizenship and then selected to play for a national team.

Yeah, nah. Matisse lived in Australia and has an Australian passport. If he wanted free healthcare and to not tip, he could move here tomorrow as he is an Australian citizen.

That is a world of difference from players with no connection to a country being given citizenship and then selected to play for a national team.
For the record Lorenzo Brown also has a Spanish passport and citizenship - doesn't make it right

He qualified under normal citizenship rules.

Brown didn’t, a special exemption was rushed through.

Your earlier mention of Thybulle getting a “golden ticket” seemed a bit off. Do you have an issue with immigrants?
No I have an issue with National teams bending the rules then getting their offended when other countries do the same! The fact remains that Matisse would have played for the USA if he was good enough, just like Kyrie did. We'll also likely never see Matisse attend another Boomers camp and you can throw Embiid into the argument too!

No I have an issue with National teams bending the rules then getting their offended when other countries do the same! The fact remains that Matisse would have played for the USA if he was good enough, just like Kyrie did. We'll also likely never see Matisse attend another Boomers camp and you can throw Embiid into the argument too!
How did we bend any rules?

Was he given citizenship under a special exemption? What rule did we bend?

Is the rule, "must be an Australian citizen", or "must never have lived in another country"?

Differentiating between

• has citizenship, eligible to play (Kyrie or Matisse)
  • qualifies for citizenship after living somewhere, eligible to play (e.g. Kevin Pietersen, Leroy Loggins, Scott Fisher)

and

- being granted citizenship just to play basketball. It's much more like all of the weightlifters and pole vaulters who were given Australian citizenship in the past than the Matisse case. This I personally do not agree with.

For the record Lorenzo Brown also has a Spanish passport and citizenship - doesn't make it right
Yeah, nah... Matisse got his Australian passport and citizenship when he was 9, after seven years of living in the country. He has a genuine connection to the country, his citizenship has nothing to do with his basketball talent, and is not one of convenience.

Lorenzo Brown has no family connection to Spain, has not played for a Spanish team, and was given citizenship two months before Eurobasket 2022 because Spain needed a point guard.

You cannot claim the two are comparable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Summer Paris 2024 - Basketball

Remove this Banner Ad

Back