Summer Paris 2024 - Basketball

Remove this Banner Ad

Haven't seen a lead like that get coughed up since Geelong choked away their advantage against Richmond in the 2020 grand final.

Jokic = Dusty Martin. Confirmed.

Canada lost. That's a shock.

Not really. Canada was always going to get torn apart defensively at some point by a team with capable bigs. Not surprised that France shot 55% against their layup drill on the inside.

Just a shame the semis are both rematches.

Cooks - NBL MVP, recently signed for NBA.

Matisse- NBA calibre defender

Yet Magnay, McVeigh, Delly all preferred. Yuck

Mcveigh proved his worth. He had a good Olympics.

It delivered us our first Olympic bronze medal.

They call the 2000's to early 2010's era of our men's soccer team the golden era too. They didn't even get a podium finish anywhere.

Yes, this era has been the golden era of Aussie basketball.

Football is much bigger but get what your saying. But if not for Paddy (similar standing to Tim Cahill) we may not have made the QF's.

I agree with those that we lost this at selection and Reath and Green should have been given more opportunities. Giddey, Daniels and Landale were good overall but we could have done more this tournament.

They call the 2000's to early 2010's era of our men's soccer team the golden era too. They didn't even get a podium finish anywhere.

Exactly.

You have to look at a period of time in a team's performance relative to where the nation has been historically. And the Boomers with this core playing group have been better performers genreally compared to bygone eras.

Calling it a golden era doesn't mean they have won everything.

It's sad just how short-lived our "golden" era will be.

Simmons will (likely) never play for the Boomers.

Exum may not make it to Los Angeles given the injury history.

We've got some good kids coming through but you need very good, battle-hardened, big men to do well at the Olympic/WC level and I don't think we have enough coming through.

What's our 2032 team looking like this far out?

We’ve got furphy and zikarsky to come in.

Both fill huge holes in the boomers.

There’s a bunch of others who have a chance to be something too

Ducas, Condon, bannan, Robertson some others I’m missing who could be role players.

I know people will disagree but I didn't think we had a bad tournament at all.

People were saying we wouldn't get out of the group.

So many players in there first or last Olympics and very few in the prime of their career. I believe this is why we struggled to stop those rubs other teams gad against us.

I always thought we'd take a step back this Olympics. I'm still unsure about Rocco bit hopefully he comes on as he would be very handy in 4 years.

Thank you so much Paddy, Joe, Delly, Kay and Goorj for everything.

Let's hope the girls get some revenge on Serbia tonight.

As disappointing of losing. This team in 4 years will only get better. Giddey and Daniels only 21, along with 4 more years of development with players come through. McVeigh is going to be an important piece in 4 years!

Good point. That was the last we'll see of Mills, Ingles, Dellavedova, and Kay. Hopefully, we will hire a coach that can make in-game adjustments

We will have a real centre in Rocco Zikarsky, a three point shooting forward in Johnny Furphy and potentially Dash Daniels to add to the squad.

I don’t see how Xavier Cooks makes any positive difference to this game. Matisse could have locked down on one of their shooters I agree, but Cooks wasn’t chosen for a reason

Good point. That was the last we'll see of Mills, Ingles, Dellavedova, and Kay. Hopefully, we will hire a coach that can make in-game adjustments

We will have a real centre in Rocco Zikarsky, a three point shooting forward in Johnny Furphy and potentially Dash Daniels to add to the squad.

Don't know this bloke but that's good news, Landale needs help down low, I thought he had a very solid Olympics but needed some help.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't know this bloke but that's good news, Landale needs help down low, I thought he had a very solid Olympics but needed some help.
Just turned 18, 7'3" and plays for Brisbane in the NBL

Got some hype on him already

Rocco is 7’3 and already an absolutely massive unit. His problem isn’t going to be putting o. Size, it will be making sure he keeps his mobility while adding strength.

Mock drafts have him as a first rounder, and some inside the top 10 in what is a pretty good draft from this point in time at least.

I’m unsure how good an nba player he will
Be but reckon he’s sure fire to be a boon in fiba play for us.

Rocco is now 18 years old, is 7'3" and is showing immense promise. His father is German Olympic swimming bronze medalist Björn Zikarsky, while his mother is Australian champion ironwoman Kylie Zikarsky.

McVeigh is legit and provided value.

Mattise was a miss, he should have gone. Our path way to success was big rangy defensive wings generating offence by turnovers and pressure. We missed him.

Cooks isn't big enough and can't shoot. Would have been useless.

Nick Kay has been a warrior but seems to be done. Need to find a four that can play alongside Landale and stretch the floor.
It's sad just how short-lived our "golden" era will be.

Simmons will (likely) never play for the Boomers.

Exum may not make it to Los Angeles given the injury history.

We've got some good kids coming through but you need very good, battle-hardened, big men to do well at the Olympic/WC level and I don't think we have enough coming through.

What's our 2032 team looking like this far out?
We have enough wings coming through in Furphy/Dash Daniels/Proctor etc.,

The bigs are our gap at the moment. Need Rocco to develop into a legit Olympic level big to support Landale.

And again, need the 4 man that can shoot. Maybe it's Furphy. He's up to 6"9 apparently. If he can add some bulk he could play up if he had a proper big at the five.

Rocco is now 18 years old, is 7'3" and is showing immense promise. His father is German Olympic swimming bronze medalist Björn Zikarsky, while his mother is Australian champion ironwoman Kylie Zikarsky.

Why couldn't my parents have been champion athletes? They really dropped the ball on the genetics.

Serbia did not beat us,we beat ourselves.
Yep.

It wasn't even the blown 24 point lead for mine, we were shooting 80% or something ridiculous and Serbia were always going to make a run. It was what we did time and time again down the stretch with the game in the balance, just possession after possession of dumb iso/hero ball. That possession where we were 1 point down with 30 seconds left and everyone just stands there running down the shot clock before Patty heaves up a half shot half lob to no one, jeeesus christ gonna be seeing that one in my mind for awhile :drunk:

Then the Giddey turnover where we don't even get a shot up at the end of OT, just unacceptable, have to be able to execute better than that. I'd take Exum coming off screens over Mills and Giddey at this point, at least he can usually get a shot off within 12 feet of the rim.

The biggest mystery is why Ingles was on the squad.
He played 1 minute of the entire tournament. Did he get injured in that minute? Why was he suited up ready to play then? So weird.

The Mills, Ingles, Delly era has absolutely been our Golden era. All are now done.
It's going to be a while before we reach those heights again.

Breaking news: Goorji to be replaced by someone on Bigfooty who thinks he knows better than Goorj
I thought Goorj coached like he always has done. He got players to buy into a defensive mindset. He tried to make it scrappy and ugly. He also showed he's not a great offensive coach.

Be interesting to see if St. Mary's pop out any future Boomers in the next four years.
It’s not quite the hub for Australians that it’s been in the past.

Harry Wessells is a 7 footer coming into his junior year and went to the Boomers camp prior to the WC last year, so they obviously have eyes on him. Hasn’t set the world on fire and has been stuck behind a very good centre but Jock was a non event for his first two years, so hopefully he has the same progression. Is quite a lump of a kid, think more of a Baynes style 5.

The only other Aussie is Josh Dent, a point guard coming into his freshman season, so a long way to go. I do think Alex Ducas will be part of the Boomers in the future, we need all the confident shooters we can get.

Remove this Banner Ad

Summer Paris 2024 - Basketball

Remove this Banner Ad

Back