Summer Paris 2024 - Basketball

Remove this Banner Ad

McVeigh is legit and provided value.

Mattise was a miss, he should have gone. Our path way to success was big rangy defensive wings generating offence by turnovers and pressure. We missed him.

Cooks isn't big enough and can't shoot. Would have been useless.

Nick Kay has been a warrior but seems to be done. Need to find a four that can play alongside Landale and stretch the floor.

We have enough wings coming through in Furphy/Dash Daniels/Proctor etc.,

The bigs are our gap at the moment. Need Rocco to develop into a legit Olympic level big to support Landale.

And again, need the 4 man that can shoot. Maybe it's Furphy. He's up to 6"9 apparently. If he can add some bulk he could play up if he had a proper big at the five.

I thought McVeigh was excellent. Didn’t hesitate to shoot and hit some big shots

He’s been a great find and for us and really fills a need. Not only to have a shooter but a shooter with height to get it off over defenders.

Kay’s been a good glue guy that is now obviously done.

I absolutely think furphy can and will play some minutes at the 4.

We also have bannan 6’10 to look at for the next team.

The biggest mystery is why Ingles was on the squad.
He played 1 minute of the entire tournament. Did he get injured in that minute? Why was he suited up ready to play then? So weird.

Was weird. Reeks of Gooj taking him as some kind of free pass as a ty.

The Mills, Ingles, Delly era has absolutely been our Golden era. All are now done.
It's going to be a while before we reach those heights again.

I don’t think so.

We’ve got a golden era of wings. Giddey is young and he did a lot of good this tournament.

We’ve got our best centre prospect since Bogut coming through.

I thought McVeigh was excellent. Didn’t hesitate to shoot and hit some big shots

He’s been a great find and for us and really fills a need. Not only to have a shooter but a shooter with height to get it off over defenders.

Kay’s been a good glue guy that is now obviously done.

I absolutely think furphy can and will play some minutes at the 4.

We also have bannan 6’10 to look at for the next team.

Was weird. Reeks of Gooj taking him as some kind of free pass as a ty.

I don’t think so.

We’ve got a golden era of wings. Giddey is young and he did a lot of good this tournament.

We’ve got our best centre prospect since Bogut coming through.
I don't think we will contend for a medal next Olympics. Maybe Brisbane in 8 years time. By then Giddey will be at his peak and guys like Rocco will have developed enough to add something.
We have wings, but none who are scorers. We desperately need to find more scorers. Take Patty out and we have almost no-one that can get a bucket when needed.

Woke up and I think Im calmer now :p

USA would have destroyed us anyways and most of the squad already have a bronze so they dont really need another lol

Would have loved to see Giddey/Mills-Exum/Daniels-Mcveigh-Reath-Landale lineup... That lineup woulda given most teams problems besides USA imo

Woke up and I think Im calmer now :p

USA would have destroyed us anyways and most of the squad already have a bronze so they dont really need another lol

Would have loved to see Giddey/Mills-Exum/Daniels-Mcveigh-Reath-Landale lineup... That lineup woulda given most teams problems besides USA imo
Yeah thats interesting - were Reath and Landale ever on court at the same time this tournament? Can't remember it happening.

Breaking news: Goorji to be replaced by someone on Bigfooty who thinks he knows better than Goorj
Don't think anyone is arguing that.

There are a lot of strange calls he's made this time round (Thybullle not going, not playing Reath, taking Ingles/Delly, overplaying Key), and the problems he's had (clogged toilet offence) have remained.

Someone like Trevor Gleeson who is 15 years younger than an old Goorj, and actually built high powered offences around small scoring guards, while managing to maintain defensive identities might know how to better utilise the talent we have than Goorj.....

Don't think anyone is arguing that.

There are a lot of strange calls he's made this time round (Thybullle not going, not playing Reath, taking Ingles/Delly, overplaying Key), and the problems he's had (clogged toilet offence) have remained.

Someone like Trevor Gleeson who is 15 years younger than an old Goorj, and actually built high powered offences around small scoring guards, while managing to maintain defensive identities might know how to better utilise the talent we have than Goorj.....
I'd like Brett Brown to have another go

Yeah thats interesting - were Reath and Landale ever on court at the same time this tournament? Can't remember it happening.
They were briefly last night. Think it was the first time I saw it, might’ve very briefly happened against Greece as well.

In reality we had a good tournament with 1 bad game (Greece) a bunch of very good games where we failed to take our chances at the end.

Sliding doors tho there was some dumb stuff by the coach, and players lost their heads a little at the wrong time, could have easily been a much better tournament

They were briefly last night. Think it was the first time I saw it, might’ve very briefly happened against Greece as well.

Canada got destroyed by France due to their bigs dominating inside. I reckon we woulda been undefeated in group stage if we played both Reath and Landale as starters since they both can shoot 3s if needed as well.

In reality we had a good tournament with 1 bad game (Greece) a bunch of very good games where we failed to take our chances at the end.

Sliding doors tho there was some dumb stuff by the coach, and players lost their heads a little at the wrong time, could have easily been a much better tournament
That’s why it’s so frustrating. It’s not like our ‘00s teams, which we knew were ordinary and pushing good teams was the best we could hope for.

This squad still had plenty of talent, which was on display for patches. But what seemed like some individual hubris and stubborn coaching bought us undone, it’s so annoying. Add that to knowing it was the last roll of the dice for the older guys, it’s kinda depressing.

Still annoyed about this.
Why bench Mills when he was on fire in the first quarter?
Shit coaching.

Exactly. I hate coaches that run the exact same rotations and minutes of their roster every game. Its really lazy.

Elite basketball is all about matchups and exposing whatever you can get. If a player is hot, you keep them on until they are tired and miss. You dont pull them because of pre-prepared scheduling and hope they are hot when they come back on. Ridiculous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought Goorj coached like he always has done. He got players to buy into a defensive mindset. He tried to make it scrappy and ugly. He also showed he's not a great offensive coach.

creator of great environments, us against the world etc He's a great orator.

Pudding would suggest a limited x's and o's coach.

Canada got destroyed by France due to their bigs dominating inside. I reckon we woulda been undefeated in group stage if we played both Reath and Landale as starters since they both can shoot 3s if needed as well.
The refusal to play Reath over Key (who i have loved in the past) but literally was a complete non factor in all aspects, just didn't make sense.

Would love someone in the media to get answer on Reath and Thybulle situations from Goorj. He needs to explain what happened there.

Being a Kangas supporter, the last few years have been rough at the wrong end of the ladder. A few weeks ago we had Collingwood at our mercy with a 54 point lead, and yes we lost the un-losable game with some very ordinary umpiring not helping. Many young players and not match hardened professionals to steer the ship and see out the win.

Basketball Aust selects a team of veterans to deal with situations like the game last night. 24 points up and channeling the famous 1985 NCAA Title winning Villanova team (78.6% FG all match, 90% 2nd half) we should have iced this. Where was Ingles/Kay/Delly in this period to arrest the free fall and put the team on their back for a QTR?

Smells a lot like the SoccerRoos era where it was Lucas Neil and his mates being picked all the time ahead of some of the youth coming thru.

This was a massive opportunity missed, let’s hope the mental scars are not too deep. A fine career for Patty Mills and some insane shooting last night when he was on fire 🔥 in the 1st half.

Breaking news: Goorji to be replaced by someone on Bigfooty who thinks he knows better than Goorj

I believe if you look through any AFL team board, or even the main board, you'll see posters offering advice, suggestions, beliefs pertaining to strategy, selection, who are the best commentators etc. Doesn't mean said posters will replace any of the officials.

The refusal to play Reath over Key (who i have loved in the past) but literally was a complete non factor in all aspects, just didn't make sense.

Would love someone in the media to get answer on Reath and Thybulle situations from Goorj. He needs to explain what happened there.

Still wondering why Joe was picked in the squad. Didn’t play a single minute in the whole Olympics.

I feel we may never know the answer

Nope, nothing at all embarrassing about conceding a 24 point lead.
This Is Fine GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Summer Paris 2024 - Basketball

Remove this Banner Ad

Back