Summer Paris 2024 - Day 14

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 13, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Red Wings
I’ve spent the day trying (unsuccessfully) to catch-up. Just finished the women’s waterpolo Australia vs USA. Unbelievable. Can’t actually believe what I just watched. Clutch play everywhere. At 5-2 thought they were gone. Just incredible. It was a gold celebration and rightfully so. Just hope they can get up for one more.

The athletics was superb. Sydney McLaughlin-Lavrone…cements herself as one of the greatest runners in history. I’m not sure I’ve seen a better performance. Femke Bol was slightly sluggish out of the blocks, then spent a bit of time putting in maximum effort to stay with Sydney. That effort resulted in her being absolutely cooked the last hundred metres where she was going backwards and managed to cling to bronze. She didn’t run her race at all. But it was all about Sydney, who somehow took a decent lead to a gigantic lead in no time at all. WR. She’s a legend.

Tobogo was incredible in the mens 200m, I’ve already watched it several times as it was just a beautiful race. Bednarek silver, Lyles a shock bronze. He was wearing a mask pre-race, and struggled post-race. Was he sick? Didn’t seem it coming out onto the track full of energy, but possibly. But it was all about Tobogo.

Holloway gets his gold, brilliant performances by Tara Davis-Woodhall in the women’s long jump, Nadeem in the men’s javelin, and KJT looks the golds in the heptathlon with the long jump an opportunity for her.

Soooo… that’s only a smidgen of yesterdays highlights for sure, but I haven’t got to much else yet.

Day 14 highlights:

• 6:00: Diving - Men’s 10m platform
  • 6:05: Athletics day session begins
  • 6:00: Canoe sprint
  • 9:00: Modern pentathlon men’s semis
  • 9:40: Canoe sprint men’s singles 1000 finals
  • 10:00: Cycling session begins
  • 10:30: Rhythmic gymnastics - Individual all-around final. Yes, I like this stuff.
  • 11:00: Diving - Women’s 3m springboard final
  • 12:30: Handball - Men’s semis Germany vs Spain
  • 1:30: Basketball - Opals vs USA
  • 2:00: Soccer - Gold medal match France vs Spain
  • 3:30: Athletics night session begins
  • 4:00: Hockey - Women’s gold medal match Netherlands vs China
  • 5:00: Beach volleyball - Women’s bronze medal match - Aus vs Sui
I missed the volleyball because I don’t know who’s playing because I’m trying to play catch up.

Day 14 - LETS GO!!

Well done mate on catching a bit. Big effort. here's a bit of help

Day 14 of the Paris 2024 Olympic Games sees the action continuing to heat up, with another big day of events on the cards for the Aussie contingent.

Australian athletes will compete in 13 sports, with several athletes completing their Olympic campaigns.

Artistic Swimming

Australia’s Rayna Buckle and Kiera Gazzard, returning for their second will aim to surpass Australia’s Tokyo 2020 result of 20th place. Returning to the pool after their efforts in the Team event for the Duet competition.
The duet competition, featuring two women per nation, requires pairs to perform both a technical and a free routine. The Duet Technical routine involves executing eight elements, including five required technical elements, two free hybrid elements, and one acrobatic element.
Competition will get underway on 9 August at 3:30 am AEST.

Athletics

Four Australian athletes will take to Stade de France to compete on day 14, all in medal events.
Camryn Newtown-Smith and Tori West will finish their heptathlon campaign with the long jump at 6.05pm AEST, the javelin at 7.20pm, and the 800m at 4.20am, on August 10. They are the first Australians to compete in the heptathlon since Beijing in 2008.

Connor Murphy will become the first Australian male to take part in an Olympic triple jump final since his father Andrew Murphy at Sydney 2000. His qualifying jump of 16.80m was the same distance Andrew jumped in Sydney to finish 10th in the final. The final begins at 4.10am AEST.

Australian record holder Lauren Ryan will race the 10,000m Final at 4.55am AEST August 10. The 26-year-old from Melbourne is backing up from a strong heat run in the 5000m earlier at the Games.

Basketball

Taking on the might of Team USA in Olympic basketball is a challenge the Opals believe they’re ready for.
So when the women’s semi-final between Australia and the USA tips off at 1:30am AEST
on Saturday 10 August, the fact the Opals have not beaten them in 19 attempts will mean nothing because of the new talent this Australian team has.
“It’s a new generation of athletes that are going through to the WNBA and playing big roles in the WNBA,” five-time Olympian Lauren Jackson said. “They know how to play against the American team. We’re there with a shot.”

Beach Volleyball

Mariafe Artacho Del Solar & Taliqua Clancy will play for the bronze medal against Swiss pair Tanja Huberli and Nina Brunner on Saturday 10 August at 5am AEST.
The Aussies, who won silver in Tokyo, went down on Day 13 to Brazil at the Eiffel Tower Stadium for a chance to play for gold.

Breaking

Rachael Gunn will create Australian Olympic history as she takes to the Place de la Concorde as the first ever Australian Olympic breaker in the sports Olympic debut.
The 36-year-old university lecturer from Sydney qualified for the Games by winning the Oceania Breaking Championships in Sydney in 2023. Breaking blends urban dance with remarkable athleticism, with athletes judged on creativity, personality, technique, variety, performativity, and musicality.

Breaking battles have an MC and DJ – unlike other dance or routines that are practiced to set music, breakers don’t know what music they will be performing to, with how they adapt and weave their skills into the tracks a key part of their scoring.
Competition begins with the B-Girls Pre-Qualifier Battle at 12am AEST.

Canoe

Hoping to continue Australia’s success on the water, the green and gold will feature in the men’s and women’s Kayak Double 500m finals.

The men’s Kayak Double 500m will see Tom Green and Jean Van de Westhuyzen and the women’s Kayak Double 500m will feature Ella Beere and Aly Bull.

The athletes will first compete in the semi-final will the aim of progressing to the medal races.
Competition will commence from 6:30pm AEST.

Cycling

It’s a night for the speed demons at the velodrome with Kristina Clonan and Chloe Moran set for Women’s Sprint qualifying which begins at 10pm AEST, followed by Matthew Richardson in the Men’s Sprint semi-finals
Matt will race Jeffrey Hoogland in a best-of-three cat-and-mouse sprint where if he wins, he will progress to the final which is set for 3.38am AEST on 10 August.

Georgia Baker and Alex Manly are also back on the boards and will ride the Women’s Madison - a race in which they’ve twice been silver medallists at the world championships.
Their race is scheduled for 2.09am AEST on 10 August.

Diving

Diving continues when Cassieul Rousseau returns to the pool for the Men’s 10m Platform preliminaries, with teammate Jaxon Bowshire set to make his debut in the same event.
Cassiel, who won an historic gold medal in the Men’s 10m Platform at the 2023 World Aquatics Championships and was the first Australian to ever do so, will be looking to replicate that success and qualify through to the semi-final.
Meanwhile Maddi Keeney will compete in the Women’s 3m Springboard final after securing her qualification from the semi-final. Having placed second in both the qualification and semi-final, Maddi will be looking to secure her first individual medal in diving.
Cassiel and Jaxon will compete at 6pm AEST while Maddi will compete in the final at 11pm AEST.

Golf

Aussie pair Minjee Lee and Hannah Green both need to make their move if they are to revive their hopes of a maiden medal in the Women’s Golf Competition at Le Golf National.
Minjee will start Round 3 in a tie for 22nd and nine strokes from the lead, Hannah two shots further back in a tie for 29th.
The first two days of competition have seen a mix of low scores and single-hole disasters that have brought otherwise good rounds undone.
Both Minjee and Hannah have struggled to convert many birdie opportunities the first two days yet just need some early putts to drop to begin their ascension into medal contention.
Hannah tees off at 10:44am on Friday (6:44pm AEST) with Minjee to follow three groups later at 11:17am (7:17pm).

Marathon Swimming

Australia’s Kyle Lee and Nick Sloman will look to replicate Australia’s performance in the Marathon Swimming following teammate Moesha Johnson’s silver medal winning swim in the Seine. At the World Aquatics Championships 2024 in Doha, both delivered strong performances. Kyle finished in fifth place, showcasing his endurance and skill, while Nick secured ninth place in a highly competitive field.
Competition starts 10 August at 3:30am AEST.

Rhythmic Gymnastics

The action at Rhythmic Gymnastics continues with the Group All-Around qualification. Australia’s second ever group to compete at the Olympics will take to the floor, following their debut appearance at Tokyo 2020.
Lidiia Iakovleva, who competed in Individual in Tokyo, will make history as the first Australian to compete in both Group and Individual when she competes alongside debutantes Phoebe Learmont, Saskia Broedelet, Emmanouela Frroku and Jessica Weintraub.
Competition begins at 6pm AEST.

Taekwondo

Leon Sejranovic makes his Olympic debut at the Grand Palais on August 9 as he takes the mat in the men’s -80kg division. The Victorian broke a long Australian drought last year when he won a bronze medal in the -74kg division at the 2023 World Taekwondo Championships in Baku, Azerbaijan, giving Australia its first men's world championships medal for nearly 25 years.
The bronze medal in Azerbaijan motivated Leon to win gold at the prestigious Korean Open only two months later, giving him hot form heading into the Paris Olympics.
He will take on Tunisian Firas Katoussi in the round of 16 at 6.48pm AEST.

Water Polo

The Aussie Sharks will be back in the pool at Paris La Defense Arena, to play Greece in the Men’s classification round.
After falling just short of a semi-finals berth, the Sharks will be looking to finish as high in the rankings as possible.
“Fifth is a lot better than eighth,” Blake Edwards said. “We will go out there and go for it.”
The match is set to kick off at 2am AEST 10 August.

Lachlan McKirdy's day 14 preview at Code Sports.

His daily schedule tweet.

Canoe

Hoping to continue Australia’s success on the water, the green and gold will feature in the men’s and women’s Kayak Double 500m finals.

The men’s Kayak Double 500m will see Tom Green and Jean Van de Westhuyzen and the women’s Kayak Double 500m will feature Ella Beere and Aly Bull.

The athletes will first compete in the semi-final will the aim of progressing to the medal races.
Competition will commence from 6:30pm AEST.
I have a degree of confidence in the men’s K2, I think we can do it. Super excited for this .

I have a degree of confidence in the men’s K2, I think we can do it. Super excited for this .
Both the men's K2 today and Tom Green in the men's K1-1000 tomorrow are a big show.

The K1-1000 is the blue riband event of flat water canoe/kayak meet. We have a great history with Grant Davies in Seoul, told he won it then a few minutes later after futher analysis of the photo they said the US paddler had won it in 0.005 sec or 1cm. Clint Robinson won it in Barcelona to make up for the disappointment 4 years earlier and he won bronze in Atlanta. Then Ken Wallace in 2008 won bronze.

But we have had lots of finalist and a few close 4ths, John Sumegi in 1980, Peter Genders in 1984, Nathan Baggaley in 2004 and Murray Stewart in 2016. Tom Green was 7th in Tokyo.

I've watched all these finals above live on TV. Was in Canada in 1988 and went from elation to really flat when the Grant Davies result was overturned. Canadian TV talked about Davies great sportsmanship in accepting the result with good grace.

Drummond you beat Sam Landsberger today. he only got this out 50 minutes ago.

View attachment 2073089
A rarity!

It’s a big line-up tonight, and I’m not sure when I’m going to sleep. Issue is I’m working tomorrow morning, but I really want watch the athletics finals live. I’ve missed out on way too much quality medal events live, not anymore.

I wish the Opals weren’t playing USA, but sometimes I think winning bronze is better than losing silver. Wouldn’t have even thought we’d get close to medals on the back of that first game.

Both the men's K2 today and Tom Green in the men's K1-1000 tomorrow are a big show.

The K1-1000 is the blue riband event of flat water canoe/kayak meet. We have a great history with Grant Davies in Seoul, told he won it then a few minutes later after futher analysis of the photo they said the US paddler had won it in 0.005 sec or 1cm. Clint Robinson won it in Barcelona to make up for the disappointment 4 years earlier and he won bronze in Atlanta. Then Ken Wallace in 2008 won bronze.

But we have had lots of finalist and a few close 4ths, John Sumegi in 1980, Peter Genders in 1984, Nathan Baggaley in 2004 and Murray Stewart in 2016. Tom Green was 7th in Tokyo.

I've watched all these finals above live on TV. Was in Canada in 1988 and went from elation to really flat when the Grant Davies result was overturned. Canadian TV talked about Davies great sportsmanship in accepting the result with good grace.
Incredible insight once again. Your memory and research is simply amazing. You’re a gem mate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Summer Paris 2024 - Day 14

Remove this Banner Ad

Back