Summer Paris 2024 - Track & Field

Remove this Banner Ad

If you want real dominance in the pole vault go back to Sergei Bubka who broke the WR 35 times - reputedly because he received a bonus for every break. So he held back each time so he could break it again.
Yep in old Soviet days and then a relatively poor independent Ukraine, those $20k or $50k USD bonuses helped with living expenses when sponorship at home was non-existent, so why not do the WR a cm at at a time?

My niece's husband had a pole vault scholarsip with SAIS but stopped when he was about 22. He is now in his mid 30's. We had a chat a few weeks ago about the Olympics, athletics and Mondo and comparison with Sergei.

He rated Bubka as better than Mondo and said his last world record, he has seen the footage and analysis and said it was calculated that he cleared it by 23cm. I was a bit shocked by that.

One was great the other one is. I have enjoyed watching them both.

Tonight's preliminary action (with World Ranking) for our team:

1805 W1500 heats - Georgia Griffith (15) Linden Hall (9) Jess Hull (3)
1850 M110H repechage - Tayleb Willis (43)
1915 WLJ qual - Brooke Buschkuehl (27)
1920 W400 repechage - Ellie Beer (30)
1950 MJav qual - Cameron McEntyre (19)
2030 M200 repechage - Calab Law (29)

and overnight:

0335 M400 SF - Reece Holder (67)
0407 W400H SF - Alanah Yukich (34)

plus plenty of great action without Aussies in the mix

1500m will be very interesting.

Jess is right up there and comfortably the fastest woman in her heat. Unlike most Aussies on the track she is not an underdog, so it'll be fascinating to see how she deals with that pressure.

Georgia and Linden should have some confidence that both can progress beyond the heats.

The women's pole vault has a final of 20 ladies competing it that same as the males. Seems too many for a final
As a result, the event will start earlier than originally scheduled.

Those of you wishing to watch the whole thing may want to check for a stream from 2am (Thurs morning) instead of 3am.

They don't seem to have updated anything yet and some of those putting together daily schedules may have the original time.

Just caught up with last nights action. I am so, so happy for Keely Hodgkinson. She is an Olympic champion! I know she’s still so young but it feels like she’s waited so long for this, with so many runner-up finishes. Super happy for her, what a champion!

Was a great race, she got pushed the whole way but just had that bit extra in the final 100m.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brooke Buschkuehl has had a horrible year with injury and other crap.

Her best jump has been half a metre behind her 7+m best.

And sadly in the Long Jump qualifying she is doing even worse than that.

Seems like the end might be nigh for her career.

At the next Olympics our best Long Jumper is likely to be our 17yo Delta Amidzovski.

She competes at the World Juniors in a coupla weeks and has medal chances in that event plus the 100m Hurdles.
She does look promising. Abbie French from Qld is a couple of years older and I think has had a few injuries the last couple of years.

Brooke Buschkuehl has had a horrible year with injury and other crap.

Her best jump has been half a metre behind her 7+m best.

And sadly in the Long Jump qualifying she is doing even worse than that.

Seems like the end might be nigh for her career.
Could be right. She's had a pretty good career. Top 8s in a couple of Olympics and WCs, Australian Record and a CG Silver.

And, I might add, my sometimes assistant coach at our local Little Aths. Probably her career highlight:cool:.

This might be against popular opinion but I dislike the repechage. Bring back fastest non automatic qualifiers. Feel like it just pads out a session for no major benefit.
I'm in two minds about it. I like the fact that if a great runner has an off day they can still get another shot at it, but it also feels like to have a chance of winning a medal, you should have to be performing at your best at every asking – that has traditionally been what high-level sport is about.

Then you have people like Crittenden taking the piss and loopholing a repechage entry only to coast through to the semis with 24 hours more prep time under his belt (arguably). I'm surprised more people haven't tried to exploit in some way; I actually respect him using that knowledge and skill.

Lol Gerard

"The win that no body saw coming"

All the late money came for Hocker. He was $8 into $5.50 on Betfair to clearly make it a three horse race.

I wouldn't exactly say 'no body' saw that coming.

Gerard's commentary is ordinary. I wish he'd stop stay 'stagger'. That was Bruce's thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Summer Paris 2024 - Track & Field

Remove this Banner Ad

Back