Summer Paris 2024 - Track & Field

Remove this Banner Ad

The women's 4x100m relay was a great raun and another national record and already discussed in the Aussie watch thread, but totally missed how good the men's 4x100m relay result was.

2nd fastest ever a 38.31 only behind the 38.17 achieved twice, 1995 Gothenberg world champs ( won SF then won silver in final with a 38.50 behind Canada, USA didn't get passed the heats) and 2012 London Olympics.

Oh man, Gabby Thomas was gone after 100, what an incredible last 75 to take a narrow victory. She’s so good to watch.
I know athletes are supposed to be decelerating in the last 20m or so of both 100m and 200m sprints, but she appeared to accelerate. Would be interesting to get the 10m splits for the last 50m.

Lyles runs a PB to win in 9.81 in a negative 0.3 wind. Good form for Paris. He has talked himself up this year - like you would expect any cocky sprinter to do.

Oh man, Gabby Thomas was gone after 100, what an incredible last 75 to take a narrow victory. She’s so good to watch.
Drummond here are the 10m splits analysis. Thomas held her form a lot better than Alfred and Asher-Smith

1721487545409.png

Drummond here are the 10m splits analysis. Thomas held her form a lot better than Alfred and Asher-Smith

View attachment 2054113
Wow awesome numbers thanks for posting! Goes to show what a great finish it was from Thomas, just managed her race better as you said. Probably wouldn’t like to leave herself so much to do though!

Pity we never seem to host the big athletics meets here in Aus. Not enough general interest I guess.
Its about weather and distance and in some cases $$$$

You have big meets that have been going for 70 or 80 years like Oslo and Zurich, Northern hempishere spring and summer is the season when most of the best do their stuff and now you have places like China and Qatar buying events.

For the majority of athletes its a long way to come for a 3 hour meet.

The Goodwill Ganes in Brisbane 2001is the closest to a big athletics meet in Oz outside of Olympics

If Brisbane leave a decent legacy stadium be it QSAC or a new stadium and leave the track there for a decade, I suspect Oz will get a mid to late September World Athletics Championship. Maybe 2037 or 2039.

Its been the case of Olympic city getting a world champs to help justify a new stadium the last 15 years or so.

Beijing 2008 and then 2015 and 2027
London 2012 and 2017
Tokyo 2020 become 2021 and 2025

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good news for Matt Deeny in Germany to win the meet there

Just hope he gets that 70m throw in Paris he has been talking about for a few months and gets that medal. Break 70m and it could be any colour on the day.

Pity we never seem to host the big athletics meets here in Aus. Not enough general interest I guess.
Not enough top athletes are willing to fly half-way round the world to compete here in our summer. They are either in hard training or competing on the indoor circuit.

We are lucky to have scored a Continental Tour Gold meet - which is only one level below the Diamond League. We really couldn't afford to hold one anyway.

Meets in Melbourne & Adelaide have had good attendances in the last couple of years.

Excepting actual Games, the biggest athletics crowd I can remember were the 2000 Olympic trials. 20-25,000 each day (inc lots of school groups). I can remember Aussie athletes walking out to the track with amazed 'OMG' faces. I'd never heard a crowd noise like it.

Excepting actual Games, the biggest athletics crowd I can remember were the 2000 Olympic trials. 20-25,000 each day (inc lots of school groups). I can remember Aussie athletes walking out to the track with amazed 'OMG' faces. I'd never heard a crowd noise like it.
Was that the event in mid August? I went to 2 days of that, took my late father who was visiting me in Sydney a month before the games, and I took him so he could get a feel of how bloody big the stadium was and what was coming.

I remember the lower bowl all around the stadium was pretty full and there were a lot school kids, but nowhere near as many as attended the athletics at the Paralympics.

One of the days I got there early and got a seat 30m from the finish line maybe 15 rows back. An English guy who was in his mid to late 50's came and sat next to me and we got talking athletics and I said I would like to spend 6 to 8 weeks in Europe just going to all the big Grand Prix meets as they were called back then, in Zurich, Oslo, London, Monaco etc.

He told me that's exactly what he does. He worked in banking and finance, was semi retired and travels the world and sets up business deals so he can watch athletics around the world. He set up a deal in NZ, so he could pop over to watch this event, then was flying back home and was coming back for the Olympics. He had tickets for every session. I said to him he's inspired me and my aim is to get a job like his and do what he did. Haven't got there yet and probably never will.

Denny was up only up against German athletes last night. 2nd was Prufer like Matt will be challening for a medal. Germany's 2 other Paris Olympians finished 3rd and 5th and they probably both make the final.

This event was for 3 of the 4 throwing events for both men and women. No Javelin in Germany.

They just have to fiddle. After getting rid of multiple false starts and 1/4 finals for many years, they have gone back to the future for the majority of track events.

What is the repechage round and how does it work?

In July 2022 the World Athletics Council approved an innovation to the regular competition format for the Paris 2024 Olympic Games, introducing a repechage round to all individual track events from 200m to 1500m in distance, including the hurdles events.

In the new format, athletes who do not qualify by place in round-one heats will have a second chance to qualify for the semi-finals by participating in repechage heats. This will replace the former system of athletes advancing through fastest times (usually denoted by a ‘q’ in results) in addition to the top placings in the first round heats (denoted by a ‘Q’ in results).

These events will now have four rounds – round one, repechage round, semi-finals and the final.

There are 21 individual events for each gender + 2 relays =23 x 2 = 46 + 2 mixed events 4x400m and Marathon Race Walking Mixed relay = 48 events. 3 year gap helps with so many defending champions returning to defend their title.

The entry lists for the Paris 2024 Olympic Games have been published, featuring the names of athletes who intend to compete in the French capital when athletics takes place between 1-11 August.

Athletes from some 200 teams will compete across the programme of 48 events, which includes 23 women’s disciplines and 23 men’s disciplines as well as two mixed events – the 4x400m mixed relay and the marathon race walk mixed relay.

View:
Among the entries are 36 of the Tokyo Olympic champions in individual events, who will defend their titles at the Stade de France and on the roads of Paris. They include all bar one of the individual defending champions in the men’s events and 15 in the women’s events.

Faith Kipyegon (1500m), Sydney McLaughlin-Levrone (400m hurdles), Karsten Warholm (400m hurdles), Mondo Duplantis (pole vault), Ryan Crouser (shot put) and Anita Wlodarczyk (hammer) are among the world record-holders who return, targeting back-to-back Olympic title triumphs.

Dutch runner Sifan Hassan has been entered in four events. As well as potentially defending her 5000m and 10,000m titles, she could also line up for the 1500m and the marathon.

The youngest athlete entered is Kenaz Kaniwete of Kiribati, who will be 16 years, 4 months and 6 days when he lines up for the first round of the 100m. Australia’s Sinead Diver is the oldest athlete entered. She will be 47 years, 4 months and 24 days on the day of the marathon.

Official start lists will become available after the technical meeting on the eve of the Games.

There are 21 individual events for each gender + 2 relays =23 x 2 = 46 + 2 mixed events 4x400m and Marathon Race Walking Mixed relay = 48 events. 3 year gap helps with so many defending champions returning to defend their title.

The entry lists for the Paris 2024 Olympic Games have been published, featuring the names of athletes who intend to compete in the French capital when athletics takes place between 1-11 August.

Athletes from some 200 teams will compete across the programme of 48 events, which includes 23 women’s disciplines and 23 men’s disciplines as well as two mixed events – the 4x400m mixed relay and the marathon race walk mixed relay.

View:
Among the entries are 36 of the Tokyo Olympic champions in individual events, who will defend their titles at the Stade de France and on the roads of Paris. They include all bar one of the individual defending champions in the men’s events and 15 in the women’s events.

Faith Kipyegon (1500m), Sydney McLaughlin-Levrone (400m hurdles), Karsten Warholm (400m hurdles), Mondo Duplantis (pole vault), Ryan Crouser (shot put) and Anita Wlodarczyk (hammer) are among the world record-holders who return, targeting back-to-back Olympic title triumphs.

Dutch runner Sifan Hassan has been entered in four events. As well as potentially defending her 5000m and 10,000m titles, she could also line up for the 1500m and the marathon.

The youngest athlete entered is Kenaz Kaniwete of Kiribati, who will be 16 years, 4 months and 6 days when he lines up for the first round of the 100m. Australia’s Sinead Diver is the oldest athlete entered. She will be 47 years, 4 months and 24 days on the day of the marathon.

Official start lists will become available after the technical meeting on the eve of the Games.
Sinead may be injured. She didn’t make the start line for the Gold Coast half and has pulled out of a podcast with Stenson and Gregson that was discussing their Olympic build.

Similarly Brett Robinson has gone dark on Strava and is refusing to discuss his training on his podcast.

Any idea how late we can bring in alternates if these two aren’t ready?

After reading the article linked below that listed that the USA has 120 athletes going to Paris, I thought I'd look at how many track and field athletes the other nations are sending.

What surprised me that no walkers either men or women, and therefore marathon race walking team are representing the USA.Every other one of the 20 individual men and 20 women's events they have at least 1 representative in. The only events they don't have 3 representatives in are;

Men's
Javelin 1, Hammer 2
Women's
High Jump 2, Javelin 1

So I did this spreadsheet graphic to see how many athletes the top 25 nations as per 2023 Budapest Placings table are sending. World Athletics does the placings table to try and see how strong countries are across all disciplines so gold gets 8 points, silver 7, bronze 6 and all the way down to 8th gets 1 point.

Australia is sending the equal 4th biggest athletics team behind USA 120, France 90, and Germany 79. Poland are also sending 75. Given how many of the Oz athletes are under 25 and under 20, this is a good sign for LA and Brisbane.

Ethiopia are sending 34 people to Paris, 33 for athletics, with 1 swimmer. Kenya are sending 72 and 44 are for athletics. Jamaica are sending 58 and 54 of them are for athletics, 2 for swimming, 1 for diving and 1 for judo.

I think a Gold should be worth 12 points, a Silver 9 and Bronze 6, but that's just me.

1721823307565.png

Brett Robinson is out of the Oz marathon team with an injury.
Andy Buchanan will replace him.
While it’s not good for Brett I’m absolutely stoked to see Andy get a chance.

Now we wait on news about Sinead.
today Lisa Weightman posted something cryptic on Instagram about dreams coming true and has since made her account private. :think:

Remove this Banner Ad

Summer Paris 2024 - Track & Field

Remove this Banner Ad

Back