Summer Paris 2024 - Track & Field

Remove this Banner Ad

Just saw Hollingsworth run on Stan using the rewind button on the live athletics feed - I'm learning half a dozen new things every day how there set up works - she finished 2nd and looked very smooth, in a 1.58.77. Into the semis.

10,000m just past half way point and I think its been 9 Africans in top 10 for 4 laps now. With 2 or 3 europeans hanging on right behind them.

Frenchie has crashed.

Watched the 10,000m on my screen with no commentary on Stan feed, as was watching BMX stuff and it was a sensational last 800m.

Ugandan Joshua Chepteget beat a couple of Ethiopians and also his team mate. Ran it in 26.43.14 in an Olympic record, but he is the WR holder, 3 time world champ in this - finished 2nd in Tokyo but won the 5000m

Listening to Bruce and Quentin Hull now call it not live and Bruce let Q call the last 150m.

Holy shit American Fisher got bronze.

Davies did no work at the front and look at the result. Bit stiff there aren't any time-based qualifiers
That is also how Rose runs... I reckon she won back to back Zatopeks just parking herself in 2nd or 3rd then just opening up late. If it works for her then why not, with the times she's been putting out making the final was a pass mark for her this games, now she gets a free hit in a final and see how close to the top 5-6 she can get

Watched the 10,000m on my screen with no commentary on Stan feed, as was watching BMX stuff and it was a sensational last 800m.

Ugandan Joshua Chepteget beat a couple of Ethiopians and also his team mate. Ran it in 26.43.14 in an Olympic record, but he is the WR holder, 3 time world champ in this - finished 2nd in Tokyo but won the 5000m

Listening to Bruce and Quentin Hull now call it not live and Bruce let Q call the last 150m.

Holy shit American Fisher got bronze.
I didn't think that was a huge surprise - perhaps a mild surprise. he was 5th last olympics

Claudia wasn't quite at her best in her few European comps but kudos to Craig Mottram for getting her to peak performance here. Augers well for the World Junior Champs in a couple of weeks too

I thought Abbey Caldwell was our best chance of getting straight through as she has the strongest kick home of our girls, but in an Olympics athletics can be a real lottery.

Hope Bree Masters enjoys her Olympic semi tonight.

With only 2 to automatically get to the final, three likely medallists will be just some of her sf competition.

Sha'Carri Richardson, Julian Alfred & Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce :eek:

Hope Bree runs her best race and can clock a PB. I think the last Aussie woman to run a 100m PB at the Olympics was Raelene Boyle.

Just saw Hollingsworth run on Stan using the rewind button on the live athletics feed - I'm learning half a dozen new things every day how there set up works - she finished 2nd and looked very smooth, in a 1.58.77. Into the semis.
I’ve been trying to catch up on last nights athletics session. Just saw Hollingsworth. Great run, very impressive.

Caldwell super unlucky, outside of her heat where she finished 5th, only one person in all other heats beat her time. And I know 800m isn’t all about time but the race pacing, but she ran well, looked great, but still doesn’t get automatic qualifying.

There is commentary from Tokyo, think the heat they were both in, but might have been the SF, where Bruce goes through the field mid race, and after half a dozen names then says Farken, Hoare, ....

There are some comments about it in the Tokyo Track and Field thread.

Shout out to Queensland discus thrower Taryn Gollshewsky who I don't think I've seen mentioned anywhere (not just here).

Just missed out on qualifying for the final by a mere 27cm.

But she threw 62.36 - the #5 best AUS performance of all time - a PB by over a metre.

Performing your all-time best at an Olympics is all you can ask of our athletes.

Shout out to Queensland discus thrower Taryn Gollshewsky who I don't think I've seen mentioned anywhere (not just here).

Just missed out on qualifying for the final by a mere 27cm.

But she threw 62.36 - the #5 best AUS performance of all time - a PB by over a metre.

Performing your all-time best at an Olympics is all you can ask of our athletes.
Well said, great call.

How disappointing to get so close to qualifying but what a great effort to do a PB on the biggest stage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For anyone wanting to watch the Pole Vault qualifying (starting now) the 9Now streams are mis-labelled 'Pole Vault - Decathlon'.

Kurtis Marschall (along with Duplantis & some other big guns) is in Group A.

Obiena - one of Kurt Marschall's biggest rivals for a Pole Vault medal failed twice at 5.60m and has passed. Now he has just one chance to clear 5.70m.

Remove this Banner Ad

Summer Paris 2024 - Track & Field

Remove this Banner Ad

Back