Summer Paris 2024 - Track & Field

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm already sick of Whateley's shameless Ch9 cross promotion of Andy Lee being compared to Sally Pearson in the hurdles.

It wasn't funny the first time and it is even less funny every time they keep repeating it.

Of course - 9 say the men's 100m final is 'coming up'...

Forget to mention it's in about 7+ hours time..

I would love to watch it but I'm not getting up at about 4am WA rime to watch it.

When I wrote about Femke Bol effort in the mixed 4x400m relay run I was going to say that the 2nd bloke -Isaya Klein Ikkink who handed the baton to her, did a good job.

Looked up the Dutch athletics squad and he isn't running in the men's 400m or 4x400m team.

He only gave up 0.20 seconds to 2nd USA male runner Bryce Deadmon, according to the split stats below. Both Deadmon and 1st USA male runner Vernon Norwood will be running for the USA's 4x400m men's relay team.

Good read on Crittenden's strategic move to jog the heat. Makes a bit of a mockery of the repechage, but whenever a rule change is implemented, athletes and coaches will like to exploit it to their gain. Kudos for thinking smartly imo.

When I wrote about Femke Bol effort in the mixed 4x400m relay run I was going to say that the 2nd bloke -Isaya Klein Ikkink who handed the baton to her, did a good job.

Looked up the Dutch athletics squad and he isn't running in the men's 400m or 4x400m team.

He only gave up 0.20 seconds to 2nd USA male runner Bryce Deadmon, according to the split stats below. Both Deadmon and 1st USA male runner Vernon Norwood will be running for the USA's 4x400m men's relay team.

outside of Femke not many of the best 400 runners bother with the mixed relay.

outside of Femke not many of the best 400 runners bother with the mixed relay.
Arguably Bol isn't one of the best 400m runners as she doesn't enter the 400m flat at world champs or Olympics.

But you are correct about most of the other top 400m runners not doing it. The other female Dutch runner Lieke Klaver will be borderline to make the 400m final.

The Poles take their relays very seriously, but more so the 4x400's than the 4x100's, and they have a history of making their best runners run in the mixed relays.

Missed most of the Day 8 morning session as went to the footy at AO and got the shock of my life there, and slept thru most of the night session but Stan's replay set up is a lot better than 9Now's and watched all of both sessions.

Watched Stan's replay with only knowing the women's 100m result. It actually was ok and I might consider doing it again if sleep depravity hits again.

The yank commentating with Rob Walker sounds a lot like NBC's long time sports and Olympic broadcaster Bob Costas, but I know it isn't Bob.

Morning session for me was Abby Caldwell winning her repechage. Only middle distance run after Hollingsworth's that was run properly. The blokes were poor as were Abby and Bisset in the 800m first.

Marschall wa good in the PV, would have liked to see how he would have gone on a 5.75 jump but didn't need to do it.

Kung Fu Kenny Bednarek looked the best of the men's 100m heat runners. Fred Kerley and Kishane Thompson were also good but Noah Lyles didn't look that good to me.

The Shot Put was a bit of a farce with last 3 round in the rain and slipping and no throws as a result hurt the even. But as expected Ryan Crouser won, by getting in enough big throws before the rain came. 3 in a row at the Olympics is a first, will be interesting to see if he goes to LA and tries to make it 4 in a row like Al Oerter and Carl Lewis.

Alfred was just so dominated in the 100m thru heat, SF, and final in the rain and made easy work of Richardson and gave St Lucia their first Olympic athletic medal - a gold.

Triple jump another minnow nation wins an Olympic athletic medal for the first time, this one a gold for Dominica athlete Thea Lafond, who cracked 15m for the first time and a PB. These athletes were also were affected by the rain a bit.

The decathlon was a bit of a disappointment with world champ Pierce Lepage pulling out a few days before the Olympics started and Tokyo Olympic champ countryman Damian Warner getting injured and pulling out after the discuss. But due credit for Norwegian outsider beating more fancied German Leo Neugebauer and Grenadian Lindon Victor who has been around for years.

But the highlight was Femke Bol. I said after the heat the Dutch will be a lot better after they put here in, but I didn't expect them to win. I didn't realise teams can only make 1 change. But its redemption for Bol who at the 2023 World Champs mixed relay was being run down by American Holmes and stretches to stay in front and falls at 8m out lands 3m from line but dropped the baton as she fell and couldn't even finish the race.
The American commentator is John Anderson, who was on ESPN SportsCenter for a long time.

Knows every NCAA track athlete but shocking with pronunciations of names for about 90% of the rest of them.

FANTASTIC run Reece Holder after an injury-affected year.

Could he beat Darren Clark's 36yr old Aussie record in the semis?

Holder looked really impressive for about 330m then I couldn't work out if he was stuffed or was trying to save himself a bit and struggled with balance a bit.

Great effort to do a PB in your first run at an Olympics.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Next height of 1.98m will be a test for Eleanor.

Due to injury over the past year, her best has only been 1.95m - but she is getting back to her best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Summer Paris 2024 - Track & Field

Remove this Banner Ad

Back