Summer Paris 2024 - Track & Field

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m hanging on, waiting for the Bhutan runner to finish. It’s not over until it’s over.

The Tanzanian runner John Akhwari in 1968 Marathon attitude, - “My country did not send me 5,000 miles to start the race; they sent me 5,000 miles to finish the race.”

Akhwari had a bad fall around 18/19 km mark and hurt his shoulder badly and dislocated his knee and clicked it back in. He jogged, walked and ran the rest of the 23/24 kms and finished in about 3 hrs 25 mins well over an hour after the winner. He got to the main stadium about 30 minutes before the closing ceremony started. Another Bud Greenspan Olympic doco story embedded in my mmeory banks.

Kinzang Lhamo of Buthan recorded a 3:00.33 at the 35km mark. She has never run a marthon. Has no PB.

Talking of PBs the Nepalese runner Shantoshi Shrestha did a PB in 2hrs 55.

The Tanzanian runner John Akhwari in 1968 Marathon attitude, - “My country did not send me 5,000 miles to start the race; they sent me 5,000 miles to finish the race.”

Akhwari had a bad fall around 18/19 km mark and hurt his shoulder badly and dislocated his knee and clicked it back in. He jogged, walked and ran the rest of the 23/24 kms and finished in about 3 hrs 25 mins well over an hour after the winner. He got to the main stadium about 30 minutes before the closing ceremony started. Another Bud Greenspan Olympic doco story embedded in my mmeory banks.

Kinzang Lhamo of Buthan recorded a 3:00.33 at the 35km mark. She has never run a marthon. Has no PB.

Talking of PBs the Nepalese runner Shantoshi Shrestha did a PB in 2hrs 55.
I’m still watching and I love it. This stuff nourishes me every four years.

Here is Kinzang Lhamo profile on the official Paris site. She has run a marathon before.

This will become a legendary Olympic story not just today but for years and decades into the future.

Milestones

Making her Olympic debut in the marathon through a universality place.
Won the Bhutan International Marathon in 2023 and 2024, clocking 3 hours and 26 minutes in March 2024 in the small town of Punakha.

Kinzang Lhamo's time was 3:52:59 and Hassan's winning time was 2:22:55

They give out some sort of Olympic spirit prize at the closing ceremony. She might get it.

They give out some sort of Olympic spirit prize at the closing ceremony. She might get it.
I think its The Pierre de Coubertin medal for True Spirit of Sportsmanship.

I know the IOC hand out this medal but not sure if they do it at the closing ceremony or its a medal that they hand out ad hoc, but something is handed out during the closing ceremony.

Last edited:
11 women did not finish the marathon today, and 10 blokes didn't finish yesterday including the 2 time defending marathon champion Eliud Kipchoge

I think its The Pierre de Coubertin medal for True Spirit of Sportsmanship.

I know the IOC hand out this medal but not sure if they do it at the closing ceremony or its a medal that they hand out ad hoc, but something is handed out during the closing ceremony.

Baron Pierre was a complete w***er. Copped a free gold medal for a shit poem.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Unlike 7 who on twitter put up videos of Olympic events, 9 put up a link to their WWOS website and had vision there. I am going to hunt down vision and stick it in here for future reference, just like I've gone back and looked at 7's tweets with videos of Tokyo in the Tokyo Track & Field Thread.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Summer Paris 2024 - Track & Field

Remove this Banner Ad

Back