Summer Paris 2024 - Volleyball

Remove this Banner Ad

Italy dominating
Going to mean China beats US for overall medal supremacy!
Currently 40 vs 38
US needs to win this and the Women’s basketball to tie (and win on overall medals / Silvers).
My mistake
US get a cycling gold so the Basketball would put them to 40

I don’t care because I’m watching on Stan, but it’s disappointing volleyball hasn’t hit the screens of 9 yet. Handball is on 9gem. Get the volleyball on, give it some exposure!
I've just been down on the Gold Coast watching the Qld Volleyball Schools Cup. Massive event with over 150 schools competing. And some really high quality play. Sport just needs some airtime and it could be huge in this country. Not sure why they only assume people want to watch beach vollyeball.

I've just been down on the Gold Coast watching the Qld Volleyball Schools Cup. Massive event with over 150 schools competing. And some really high quality play. Sport just needs some airtime and it could be huge in this country. Not sure why they only assume people want to watch beach vollyeball.
not having Aussie representation probably has a lot to do with it. most of the people watching on terrestrial tv are casual sports fans and have no interest in watching Italy and Turkey play some obscure game.

but yeah, I don’t think beach volleyball is a great way to sell the sport. it’s not a patch on the indoor game.

not having Aussie representation probably has a lot to do with it. most of the people watching on terrestrial tv are casual sports fans and have no interest in watching Italy and Turkey play some obscure game.

but yeah, I don’t think beach volleyball is a great way to sell the sport. it’s not a patch on the indoor game.
I wasn't watching 9 during the games, but if they're showing handball over volleyball as Drummond says, I'm not sure who they're targetting.

I wasn't watching 9 during the games, but if they're showing handball over volleyball as Drummond says, I'm not sure who they're targetting.
It was basically shown as a filler on 9Gem for people who were still watching after about 10pm.

On the Day 16 there were only 9 sports with 13 gold medal events on.

3 of those were wrestling with no Aussies, so none of that got shown in any great length, the marathon was over early in the morning Paris time, about 6pm AEST, I didn't see any modern pentathlon and the super heavyweight for woman probably got 5 minutes.

So take out the 3 hours or so of cycling, where Aussies were a chance in 2 of the 3 events so it got a lot of airtime on 9's main channel, so 9Gem had a lot of free time.

The events above I mentioned, took up 9 of the 13 gold medal games, so Basketball women's, Water Polo men's, Volleyball women's and Handball men's got plenty of airtime on the final day. It wasn't a specific audience they were targeting, they needed events to fill airtime.

Remove this Banner Ad

Summer Paris 2024 - Volleyball

Remove this Banner Ad

Back