Coaching Staff Past Coach: Matthew Knights - Finally gets his second shot - 5/5

Remove this Banner Ad

All the best to him, he's at his level and made the most of it.

That's 2 in a row for failed AFL coaches, look forward to Ratten coaching a VFL flag next year.

I ended up feeling sorry for the guy. There are positives to be taken from his time in charge - Hurley the forward, Heppell, Hardingham, a backline that knows how to run the ball out when necessary. Given the season Houli's had, I'll always be a bit miffed he wasn't given more game time. I believed he'd develop.

One of the few things Knights got right...

Houli has crumbled under the pressure this year just like when he was with us and hence why he was played in the VFL more often than not. His performances are tolerated at Richmond but not here. Loved the way he was 10 metres of Hunt when they won after the siren.

One of the few things Knights got right...

Houli has crumbled under the pressure this year just like when he was with us and hence why he was played in the VFL more often than not. His performances are tolerated at Richmond but not here. Loved the way he was 10 metres of Hunt when they won after the siren.
Houli under Hardwick has developed into twice the player he was under Knights. His performance has developed at Richmond when his development was not tolerated here. Hated the way he ripped us a new one off half-back in the second game v Richmond this year, but oh well.

All the best to him, he's at his level and made the most of it.

That's 2 in a row for failed AFL coaches, look forward to Ratten coaching a VFL flag next year.
Hopefully at Collingwood VFL

Meh next!

Now listen to all the "experts" link it back to Essendon and say that he "can" coach...or refer to TRB and how bad Hird is!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure if this makes a difference though...

It makes about as much difference as Blight winning the Crows some flags, thereby making North's choice to sack him look foolish.

Good on him. He's in a better system now anyway. No doubt he's a better coach for it.

Houli under Hardwick has developed into twice the player he was under Knights. His performance has developed at Richmond when his development was not tolerated here. Hated the way he ripped us a new one off half-back in the second game v Richmond this year, but oh well.

A player who thrives in low to no pressure situations cut us up.

No surprise.

Has done well in the role with the right support. No doubt he cocked up his last year with us but good to see him come back and do well in what is his best role and that is development coach.
Good bloke who deserved to coach a premiership side. well done Matty.

*bump*

I know a few of you believe Knights actually had some positive impact on the club, but personally I think he was amongst the worst coaching appointments ever made and absolute black hole in the history of this club.

Developed some of our junior players well. Was shit tactically- unless the opposition didn't pressure us properly or were really slow (read: Carlton and St Kilda), we generally got shat on.

Wasn't up to AFL standard at the time. Maybe he would be now with more experience, who knows.

The other thing I'd say is, it was really only one year where we catastrophically under-performed. In 2008, we were never going to be any good.

In 2009, we performed about to the level our list and age profile should have had us- a young side with some remarkable wins and some terrible losses.

It was really just 2010 that was disastrous.

Imagine if he'd have gotten to coach out his contract you were already playing fast exciting attacking footy. The backline was gonna shape up next. Who knows where the bombers would've ended up. That backstabbing cheating big eared, brown paper bag filled with money paying to Dr ageless(when he was a player for vitamins or situp advice lol) sociopath really set your proud club back. Shame really.

Imagine if he'd have gotten to coach out his contract you were already playing fast exciting attacking footy. The backline was gonna shape up next. Who knows where the bombers would've ended up. That backstabbing cheating big eared, brown paper bag filled with money paying to Dr ageless(when he was a player for vitamins or situp advice lol) sociopath really set your proud club back. Shame really.
genuinely don't know whether it's funnier that you want knights to coach your mob, or that you mustered up the bravery for a cheeky troll at 3am on a wednesday :fullmoonface:

My fist would look good on your forehead. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back