Past Player - Luke Thompson

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: #1 - Luke Thompson - Player Discussion

Very strange number selection. I guess in the end its just a number and it's the player who makes the number.

Noone wanted #1, he wanted it more than #47.

I'd go for a rediculous number like a 77 or 96....but the Crows may not want to build a new locker.

Noone wanted #1, he wanted it more than #47.

I'd go for a rediculous number like a 77 or 96....but the Crows may not want to build a new locker.
Haha I'm with you here, even if a number like 6, 12, 18 or something was available I'd definetely go number 83 or something.

Atleast that way if I'm an absolute nobody I'd still be remembered.

Re: Rookie pick 17 - Luke Thompson - Player Discussion

Now don't get me wrong I'm a Rendell fan but....

This was recognised as a very thin draft with supposedly few good talls and with at least 20 players who would have been drafted ineligible because of a change to the qualifying birth dates.

Yet we were able to find talls at 45, 61 and at 17 in the Rookie Draft whilst in next years expectedly stronger draft in terms of more depth, no more compromised with GC's number of draft picks - there won't be any talls available by pick 24??????????

I'm just having trouble grasping the spin.

spexau: I don't think he meant that there won't be any but that GC will grab the best talls first up leaving a smaller chance to find good talls later in the draft. It will be easier to get good mids at 24-ish than talls was his point I believe.

macca23: That's exactly what he meant and said. :thumbsu:

Yeah I'm feeling sorry that I wrote that now in my frustration at us not picking up what I felt we most needed - at least one more genuine inside midfielder.

I have now listened to the full 5AA interview with Matt Rendell and I am feeling much more positive about the position now.

I had the feeling that our successful tactic to date of going in with a list in order and just taking the next on the list at our pick could continue to land us with another tall or tall utility at say pick 23 next year, with no geniune mids available that we want at 40 and beyond.

Not only did Rendell say that they went in to this years draft wanting and intending to get a genuine mid in the first 2 picks but also that they were prepared to be more needs based in their selections to achieve this. The mids they liked were simply all gone by pick 29. I totally agree with him taking the best available in Talia with our first pick!

Also I have gleaned from Faith's inside knowledge that the only genuine U18 mid left in the Rookie Draft that we were interested in was Jaryd Cachia and of course he fell to Carlton just before our pick. The Crows felt all along that Wright and Jaensch wouldn't be taken by anyone else so Luke Thompson, even though he is yet another tall, just became a bonus. If they hadn't picked him it would have been straight to Wright and Jaensch with one Rookie place left vacant I'm guessing from Mr's comments.

Rendell also backed up his case for being able to get some quality mids in the next few years by asserting that the U16 Champs this year featured good mids but few good talls.

Anyway, I agree to a large extent that we aren't desperate right now for more midfielders with Cook, Sloane, Armstrong and Schmidt waiting in the wings, and Knights, Dangerfield and Porplyzia able to move into the midfield if we can replace them as forwards. Furthermore, I get the feeling that we will target a midfielder and be needs based with our first pick over the next few years if necessary.

And to get back to topic, welcome to the AFL Luke Thompson. I like what I saw on your video and let's hope this is the start of a 10 year career with the Crows!

Anonymity has it's draw backs in terms of people's actions.

Maybe that's why CG is steering clear of you at training Stabby, she's about to blast the hell out of ya ;)

Can you tell us any more about Luke Thompson? Not very much has been reported about him. It must be the mother in me, but I worry about the young guys from elsewhere. Do you get the impression that they are settling in and are well supported by the others?

I went to my first training session of the season on Thursday. I took my son and a friend of his along. Standing behind us was a crows staff member who was talking to another spectator who I thought must of been his mate. Giving him a run down of the club and different players.

During practice a tall young player with tape on his shoulder caught my eye doing crumbing practice, while 3 or 4 trainers were trying to knock him of balance with the padded bags.

I could not work out who this player was as I could pick out all the new players from the Draft. So I turned behind me and asked the crows staff member who he was and he replied "thats Luke Thompson and this is his Dad" pointing to the guy he had been talking to.

I had forgotten we had taken another tall in the rookie draft.

We then talked briefly about Luke, I can tell you that his dad is obviously very proud of his son Luke and he seemed very impressed with the club and was asking about all the players.

Lukes dad told us how the boys once they get to the age of 16 start to get a lot stronger, and up until recently had been able to out wrestle Luke whenever Luke had wanted to test his strength against his "old man". However the last time Luke, stated to his Dad, that he reckoned he would be able to take him down now, and then proceeded to put him on his back pinning his dad with his legs in the air. The only problem was that with nearly 200kg wresltling they broke the piece of furniture they were wrestling on, to which mum was not to happy about.

To his mum, and probably his Dads relief Luke can now test his strength against the likes of Truck Rutten, and Bock.

I wouldnt worry about Luke, he would be living his dream and has a legitamate shot at an AFL career. And I would imagine his parents would be happy that there son is at a club with the culture and proffesionalism of Adelaide.

At the end of practice Luke was doing extra goal kicking practice with a group of players, and my son and his friend were realy enjoying themselves trying to mark the balls after they sailed through. At the end of the session Luke individually thanked the coaches and trainers who had been helping him and even the old guy who picked up all the balls at the end of the session.

It was only a small gesture but it stck in my mind, he impressed me how courteous he was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not at all surprised (but delighted) to hear that :thumbsu: Rendell was raving about how well he tested psychologically and he seems like a real quality kid.

I've got no idea what the quality of his footy is like but in terms of athleticism and personality he's looking good. I can't wait to see him play some SANFL and see how long it takes him to adjust to that level.

Thanks DrDave, I really enjoy these stories from training. Luke's Mum must be rapt that he'll be wrestling elsewhere now! :D

Re: #1 - Luke Thompson

I watched Thompson playing in the first semi against Sturt today, and was very impressed with the lad.

He played in the backlines - looked like in the Ottens role - and he couldn't have done much better.

He's a good size but backed his speed bouncing the ball several times while being chased - and never caught. Overhead marking was good and disposal very good.

He genuinely looks like a player of the future IMO.

Re: #28 - Luke Thompson

I remember Luke as a tiny tacker running out with us onto the field in my last year of U17's back in the old Heytesbury Football League. Good kid for a great family. Best of luck Luke.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back