Past Player - Patrick Dangerfield

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: #19 - Patrick Dangerfield

Thanks. I guess VCE may finish this week, hence the timing of the draft.
VCE always finishes before SACE, like a week or most likely 2. it's probably just to give him time to get his affairs in order and then when he arrives, it'll be with the newbies.

My guess is that he'll be attending the draft.

Last year Chris Knights was there to greet Paddy as a Victorian playing for the Crows.

Is everyone convinced who we are likely to pick if everything goes to plan??

There's a couple of threads on this on the main Adelaide forums but the consensus seems to be something along the lines of:

Pick 10 - Trengove/Davis/Johnston/McKernan
Pick 28 - Either a sliding Schoenmakers/Davis/etc or an inside midfielder
Pick 44 - Sibosado
Pick 60 - Zac Clarke or some other ruckman
Pick 76 - Bucovaz (mentioned by both Burgan and Quayle)

25tw600.gif

OK, it's killing me. Who is that player he's burning CC? It's too pixelated for me to be sure. It must be from 2007 because it's Geelong vs. Northern at Optus Oval. Based on his build and where it's happening on the ground I'm thinking it's #6 (Jake Spiteri).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OK, it's killing me. Who is that player he's burning CC? It's too pixelated for me to be sure. It must be from 2007 because it's Geelong vs. Northern at Optus Oval. Based on his build and where it's happening on the ground I'm thinking it's #6 (Jake Spiteri).
That clip is originally from youtube so it is already pixelated.
I have tried to make it smaller and zoom im; but it is still too hard to see.

That clip is originally from youtube so it is already pixelated.
I have tried to make it smaller and zoom im; but it is still too hard to see.
Thanks Loz. I just checked out the Youtube clip (slightly higher res) and it is Spiteri. I only needed to know for my own curiosity.

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/sport/afl/story/0,26547,24783380-5016212,00.html

• FORMER Geelong star Michael Turner has compared Patrick Dangerfield to Crows legend Mark Ricciuto.
In a stunning endorsement of a player he has overseen for two years at the Geelong Falcons, Turner says Dangerfield - who last week started training full-time with the Crows - has similar attributes to Ricciuto and is a natural-born leader who is destined to be an AFL captain.
"Obviously it's setting the bar high to compare Patty with Ricciuto, who was a superstar, but they are similar players with the way they go about it," Turner said as he farewelled Dangerfield from the Falcons.
"Patty's going to have a big, strong body like Ricciuto, he'll play similar positions, he's going to be a bit of a bull like Roo because he's super courageous and super tough, and given time he's going to develop into that type of player. I know it's a big call but he's got Mark Ricciuto successor written all over him."
Dangerfield, 18, spent his first season on Adelaide's list this year playing primarily with the Falcons in the under-18 TAC Cup as he completed his schooling in Victoria. The No. 10 pick at the 2007 national draft played two games for the Crows in rounds 20 and 21 against Essendon and St Kilda, having just 12 disposals and kicking one goal, but Turner says he is now set to take the AFL by storm after moving to Adelaide permanently.
"Ricciuto was able to make his mark as a youngster and I'm sure Patty will too," Turner said.
"He's got the attributes to play regular AFL footy next year - the right attitude, he wins his own footy, he's a very good decision maker and he's got the athletic component.
"When you look at him now he's probably a little bit underdeveloped as far as AFL players go but in the next two or three years he's going to develop into a very strong-bodied player. Like Ricciuto he might initially play off a half-back flank but eventually he'll go on-ball and play forward as well."
The Crows were questioned over their decision to select the 187cm Dangerfield ahead of home grown Brad Ebert (West Coast, pick 13) and Cyril Rioli (Hawthorn, pick 12) at last year's draft, but Turner has no doubt he will be a star.
He said he is as good, if not better, than current AFL stars Jonathan Brown, Jimmy Bartel, Gary Ablett jnr, Luke Hodge and Cameron Ling were at the same age. Turner oversaw the development of all of these players at the Falcons, where he is regional manager.
"We've been pretty successful in bringing (AFL) players through and Patty is as good as we've had," Turner said. "And he's certainly got the potential to be an AFL captain. He's a very intelligent kid, he's a great leader on and off the field and he's got a strong personality while not being at all boastful."
The explosive Dangerfield dominated this year's TAC Cup, kicking 32 goals in 13 games as a midfielder resting in attack, despite his demanding travelling schedule which might have taken its toll on a lesser person. His travel included regular trips to Adelaide to train with the Crows and play with West Adelaide, as well as three two-hour road trips a week along the Great Ocean Road from his home in Moggs Creek to Geelong for training. He also flew interstate with the Crows four times.
"He had a great year, he improved dramatically with natural progression, and now he's at Adelaide full-time I expect him to improve dramatically again," Turner said.
"The Crows have certainly got a special player on their hands."

Niiiiice

They really can't say enough good things about Patty, can they? :)

Thank Christ he's here in Adelaide now... to stay!! He won't "go home", he's too strong a character for that (I hope!) and he is training with us full-time now. He just needs to get over his current niggles and learn to kick a bit better (doesn't need to be elite, just passable!) and he'll be an absolute gun!

The thing that always sticks in my mind with Dangerfield is his first game earlier this year against Essendon when he took a ball from a bounce in the forward 50, tried to break away but got tackled by David Hille. He was taken to the ground but he pushed himself back up and dragged Hille behind him a way before the ref finally called in the ball.

David Hille weighs 110kg. If you can push yourself back to your feet with him trying to hold you down at the tender age of 18 (Dangerfield is actually younger than one of our draftees this year!) you have ridiculous core stability.

Once his body fills out, he is going to be a tank!

Its what made Judd so damaging at his best. He just stands up in tackles and runs away from contests dispite being tackled. Judds a bit taller than Patty but Patty is already only a kilo lighter. Goddamn im excited to see what he can do this year.

Agree with you two as well.

You could tell even last pre season as a kid with puppy fat, that his legs, thighs inparticular, are gonna be huge. He's also a bit barrell chested like the roo was.

God know how he's that fast.

I see him being bigger than Judd is, but hopefully having the same speed he does now with Judds ability to stand up in tackles.

As cmndstab said, with Hille, he stood up. I noticed it everytime he had the pill (more so at AFL level because at TAC level noone could catch or hold him) and got caught he'd challenge the tackle and try to power out.

I love the confidence in our youngsters.

Already gonna book my flights for the GC game and the Showdown, i'm just that happy to be a crow now :D

Hopefully we'll hit the town up on the GC and see Rory Sloane busting a move. :thumbsu:

I'll put in a good word for you cmndstab

Remove this Banner Ad

Past Player - Patrick Dangerfield

Remove this Banner Ad

Back