Patterson's Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

As much as people say it won't catch on...it will.

It may take time but it happens to every stadium.

Sure, there are still some who refer to Docklands, Kardinya etc, but most (primarily media and mainstream fans) go by the sponsored name.

oh ffs! is nothing sacred? The commission is loaded and yet is more than happy to sell off a piece of WA history and identity for a few more bucks.

Shameless whores:thumbsdown:
Excellent post.
It would seem thank god that not all is set in stone.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/sub...atersons-stadium/story-e6frg12c-1225843011285

I would love to know why the WAFC feels the need to sell their soul for such a crap name. With the money they receive from both the dockers and eagles and very little seems to be going back to grass roots football you have to ask how much is spent on "admin" and where the rest is going.
Very good question.

Absolutely seething. How dare the WAFC sell the rights to Subi Oval's name?

This is a ****ing disgrace and I have no doubt there will be a severe backlash if this happens.

Absolutely seething. How dare the WAFC sell the rights to Subi Oval's name?

This is a ****ing disgrace and I have no doubt there will be a severe backlash if this happens.

You're kidding right?

There are a number of stadiums and sporting grounds in Perth with a history just as rich as Subiaco that have had name changes.

It doesn't change anything.

Perth Oval, Leederville Oval and Bassendean Oval are some examples.

the names a joke sure its a company name but something with a bit more revelance to WA and popularity wouldve been a better option.

Subiaco Oval sounds the best of the lot. Pattersons Stadium sounds excruiatingly lame and just makes me hate the WAFC even more. This is like an indirect contract into holding the footy at subi even longer without any works on a new stadium any time soon.

You're kidding right?

There are a number of stadiums and sporting grounds in Perth with a history just as rich as Subiaco that have had name changes.

It doesn't change anything.

Perth Oval, Leederville Oval and Bassendean Oval are some examples.

This is the home of WA Football, a place that has become well known by Western Australians as well as the rest of Australia as the centre of football in WA.

To name Subiaco Oval after some shitty company for a few dollars is a joke. It's not like the WAFC are strapped for cash, they earn millions of dollars of royalities from West Coast and Fremantle every year which would more than boost their coffers.

I'm totally against any ground having its name changed just to make a quick dollar and it's sad to see some of the WAFL grounds and a few AFL grounds have gone the same way.

To think that the next Western Derby will be West Coast vs Fremantle at Patterson's Stadium. What a ****ing joke.

the names a joke sure its a company name but something with a bit more revelance to WA and popularity wouldve been a better option.

Subiaco Oval sounds the best of the lot. Pattersons Stadium sounds excruiatingly lame and just makes me hate the WAFC even more. This is like an indirect contract into holding the footy at subi even longer without any works on a new stadium any time soon.

Yeah but isn't Paterson a WA based company? :rolleyes:

Subiaco is the home of football in WA FFS, it's a big deal to me and most WA footy fans.

EDIT: Well said Ljp

To name Subiaco Oval after some shitty company for a few dollars is a joke. It's not like the WAFC are strapped for cash, they earn millions of dollars of royalities from West Coast and Fremantle every year which would more than boost their coffers.
Are you aware of where the dollars are going?

It's not like some bloke is just going to walk away with a squillion.

Does a name matter?

Are you aware of where the dollars are going?

It's not like some bloke is just going to walk away with a squillion.

I can bet grassroots football won't see much of an increase in funding should the naming rights be sold off. Do you really think that the sale is going to benefit WA football as a whole? I doubt it. It'll make the WAFC richer for sure but that will be about it.

Underdog said:
Does a name matter?

Yes it does. And I can guarantee there will be a lot of Western Australians who feel the same way.

I also find it remarkable that there is such uproar about the name due to tradition, yet everyone pretty unanimously want Subi knocked down and a new stadium built. Hypocritical much?

On that note...

RE: Scuttling the building of a new stadium at Burswood. In turn, Subi would be demolished to partly fund the stadium.

agreed that had the opportunity to propel perth to the international world map of places to go.

Seems pretty favourable.

And apparently rebuilding "our" traditional home of Subiaco was the "worst possible one".

Out of all the solutions he chooses the worst possible one.

Likely just as expensive and whether or not it counts as a complete demolition and rebuild in stages after the fact, it will still have some of the major issues we face with Subi.

Can we **** this up? Can I hear a "hell yes we can!".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i hate the level of sponsorship in australian sport but it is a necessary evil. AFL jumpers look like billbords nowadays and the NBL is even worse. i think you will find that those in high places on the WAFC get performance bonuses so they will squeeze every last dollar they can trying to feather their own nest

Its only a name.

Some people really need to get over it. "Selling their soul" "nothing sacred" "how dare they"...

Are you guys serious? Bet you write into your local community paper complaining about barking dogs.

Who cares what the place is called. The place needs to get knocked down and a new stadium built. If any naming sponsorship makes that happen sooner then they can call it whatever they like.

Its only a name.

Some people really need to get over it. "Selling their soul" "nothing sacred" "how dare they"...

Are you guys serious? Bet you write into your local community paper complaining about barking dogs.

Who cares what the place is called. The place needs to get knocked down and a new stadium built. If any naming sponsorship makes that happen sooner then they can call it whatever they like.

And your probably one of those guys who sits on his ass complaining about the state of the world but doing nothing about it and waiting for everybody else to do the work for you.

For what it's worth they could call it the 'zoo' for all I care what concerns me is 'selling' the naming rights in the first place. What will they do with the funds they receive - to date I believe they receive about 6 million a year (and I could be wrong) from the Dockers and Eagles and yet some WAFL clubs are on the verge of bankruptcy, the 'belt-up' competition is now nothing more than a joke with limited to nil assistance from the WAFC and grass roots football relys predominately on volunteers and fundraising to exist.

It's time you woke up and smelt the roses because instead of blaming the government for the non action regarding a new oval take a long hard look at the WAFC, Eagles and Dockers - because while these three continue to have a vested interest in the building of a new stadium, it will never happen - so taking a few lousy millions from a company called Pattersons Security will contribute absolutely NOTHING to this state getting a new stadium.

*siiigghhhh*

I can think of much bigger Western Australian companies that they should go after for naming rights.

First one that comes to mind is Wesfarmers. Could probably make more money off of them as well. But Patterson's stadium....serrrriooussslyyyy!?!

:mad:

Oh well...

Remove this Banner Ad

Patterson's Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Back